Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The light rail from downtown to DU runs fairly late; I don't know if 24/7.
That line from Downtown to DU is not 24/7. Thought service on that Southeast line is close to 24/7. RTDs schedule, shows service on the E/F/H lines runs from 3:15AM to 2:26AM. Though it is technically 24 hrs. on weekends, but that is highly deceptive. Because if you look closely at the schedule, most of the late night and early morning trips are actually just movements of trains to and from RTDs facility in Englewood. Those trips don't even go Downtown. So how useful they would be to riders is questionable.

For example the last trip leaving from Downtown is 1:19AM. If you miss that train, the next train would be at 4:45AM. It's a bit better on weekends the last is 2:19AM and the next train would be at 4:32AM. Even that would be a pretty long wait if you miss a train. I don't think that qualifies as 24/7 service.

But you do make a good point. If you can live within walking distance of a light rail station, that would eliminate the need for a car. I would think that your housing choices would be pretty limited though, having to find something that close to the light rail. Since most of the stations don't seem to have a lot of housing within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I live out in the burbs outside of Denver (Broomfield) and I take the bus for work as well as for trips into downtown (sporting events, concerts, nightlife etc). I find myself more and more taking public transportation rather than drive. Denver's bus system is imo fantastic. Everyone talks about light rail which I'm sure is great and will be even better once expanded but I really think our bus system is great. Anyone who says it's not great either doesn't take the bus or is just being argumentative.
That is your opinion only, and it is highly debatable. And I suspect that you have not used bus service in many other cities, if you actually believe what you say. If Denver's service is so "fantastic" as you describe it, then what word would you use to describe service in a city where a subway line runs more frequently in the middle of the night, then RTDs busiest bus route does in the middle of the rush hour? For you it would probably be "mind-blowing".

The fact is that both Portland and Seattle have much more extensive bus/rail service then Denver, and at lower fares.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,276 times
Actually I've lived near 2 cities where public transportation is renowned. NYC and Toronto. I've also lived in smaller- medium sized cities where public transportation was impossible to navigate. Your patronizing sarcastic tone is annoying. Yes it is my opinion. What busline/rail line do you take regularly in Denver metro? Or what one would you take?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I must say, getting from the Airport to Denver is a biatch... Worst I have ever seen in a major city. As somebody who flies a lot that is a major hassle.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Please give examples of how Denver is not just as lively as portland or seattle? We get MORE top tours than Portland. We have just as many clubs or more. We have the 2nd largest PAC in the Nation. We have the best place to view a concert on Earth (Red Rocks). It won the award for best venue so many times, they just changed the name of the award to Red Rocks. There are more areas than just LoDo for entertainment. I would like to see proof that Denver is not equal to seattle in this and ahead of Portland, not just opinion.
Well, for one you are approaching this entirely wrong. You get more tours because you are the only city in the region for 100s of miles.
Red Rocks is NOT in Denver night life.
The nightlife in Denver was pretty tame and vanilla IMO. You can have as many tours as you want come through, but in the end it is the population there that is going to determine the nightlife.
There is really no way to prove it. Heck you might get more top tours than Miami and a better venue than Miami with red rocks also. Miami is pretty far south so some bands skip it. Do you have better nightlife than Miami?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well, for one you are approaching this entirely wrong. You get more tours because you are the only city in the region for 100s of miles.
Red Rocks is NOT in Denver night life.
The nightlife in Denver was pretty tame and vanilla IMO. You can have as many tours as you want come through, but in the end it is the population there that is going to determine the nightlife.
There is really no way to prove it. Heck you might get more top tours than Miami and a better venue than Miami with red rocks also. Miami is pretty far south so some bands skip it. Do you have better nightlife than Miami?
Good pointe See if your in portland you can go to shows in Seattle ,Portland and Tacoma . And if you you lived in Seattle you have Portland,Tacoma,Seattle and Vancouver to go see shows at. Dont forget the amtrack Cascades French talgo high speed rail connecting all these cities.With the recent 1 billion dollars for track upgrades the trains will be up to 110 mph next year . As some states are building there rail system we already have one . And if you want to drive from city to city there only a couple hours apart. So you get all 4 great cities close to seattle.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

260 posts, read 757,410 times
Quote:
Please give examples of how Denver is not just as lively as portland or seattle? We get MORE top tours than Portland. We have just as many clubs or more. We have the 2nd largest PAC in the Nation. We have the best place to view a concert on Earth (Red Rocks). It won the award for best venue so many times, they just changed the name of the award to Red Rocks. There are more areas than just LoDo for entertainment. I would like to see proof that Denver is not equal to seattle in this and ahead of Portland, not just opinion.

That's all it's ever going to be. Personally I think the Gorge is the best place for a concert, and I highly doubt that you know for a fact that Denver has just as many clubs.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Nope, no idea how many clubs. But I do know that it is a fact that Red Rocks wins the vote EVERY SINGLE YEAR as best concert venue on Earth.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Nope, no idea how many clubs. But I do know that it is a fact that Red Rocks wins the vote EVERY SINGLE YEAR as best concert venue on Earth.
But that is really nothing to do with night life... The mountain scene is great up in Vail, Golden, etc... but that isn't really "Denver nightlife"

I mean there are shows at Ravinia here all summer long, nice venue... but not Chicago night life.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Actually I've lived near 2 cities where public transportation is renowned. NYC and Toronto. I've also lived in smaller- medium sized cities where public transportation was impossible to navigate. Your patronizing sarcastic tone is annoying. Yes it is my opinion. What busline/rail line do you take regularly in Denver metro? Or what one would you take?
My patronizing sarcastic tone? When it was you who you said,

Quote:
I really think our bus system is great. Anyone who says it's not great either doesn't take the bus or is just being argumentative.
Lets see, anybody who disagrees with your opinion (which doesn't seem to be based on reality or facts) is just being argumentative, or doesn't know what they are talking about. Oh and they are obviously being patronizing and sarcastic, too.

I'm so sorry that you found the tone my comments to be patronizing and sarcastic. I apologize for that. Thank you for helping me see the light. Denver has the most amazingly, awesome bus system in the world. Forget NYC, Toronto, Tokyo, London. Denver's transit system pwns them all. Thank you for setting me straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City