Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Dallas a regional, national, or global center for fashion?
Dallas is a regional center for fashion 76 46.06%
Dallas is a national center for fashion 31 18.79%
Dallas is a global center for fashion 10 6.06%
None of the above 48 29.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
This marks the 6,416th BS post by John.
Lord Help Us................

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
LOL @ 0 votes!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What's cool about them is they are cheap. Scarves, bags, sunglasses, etc. They really are "throw away" clothes though, as grapico said.

Pay $8 - $10 for a shirt, wear it a couple of times........no big deal.
The big deal about H&M and Forever 21 is how quickly they bring runway fashion ("inspired" by the big guys- D&G, Lanvin, Gucci, Chloe, Chanel...) into stores. They work on about a 30-45 day cycle vs the designers listed above who work on a 3-5 month cycle.

H&M can watch the fall couture shows for 2011 towards the middle of Fall 2010 and have merchandise "inspired" (copied) by the shows on their sales floor in 30 days....customers can buy next years tends and key looks this year.

It is revolutionary to the slower to adapt luxury world that someone can copy their designs and sell out 100% before the big luxury attorneys have drawn up copyright/intellectual property infringement papers.

That is why H&M is so sought-after by trendy 20-something girls who are "in the know".....they don't have to wait 6 months and they don't have to pay 10-50x as much for the same looking item. They don't care if it's poor quality. It just has to look good while leggings (or whatever) are in....then onto fur vests or boho dresses or whatever is next.

It is a big deal because H&M is a Swedish company run by Swedes who do not know the US retail market very well. There are only 200-ish stores in the US and the vast majority are in well-known cities for tourism (LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, DC). A vote for Dallas IS a big thing because we're not the most exciting vacation destination (no South Beach, no Santa Monica Pier, no Empire Statw Building, no Mall or Smithsonion,)

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We have those stores at NorthPark.
That's what's up.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The big deal about H&M and Forever 21 is how quickly they bring runway fashion ("inspired" by the big guys- D&G, Lanvin, Gucci, Chloe, Chanel...) into stores. They work on about a 30-45 day cycle vs the designers listed above who work on a 3-5 month cycle.

H&M can watch the fall couture shows for 2011 towards the middle of Fall 2010 and have merchandise "inspired" (copied) by the shows on their sales floor in 30 days....customers can buy next years tends and key looks this year.

It is revolutionary to the slower to adapt luxury world that someone can copy their designs and sell out 100% before the big luxury attorneys have drawn up copyright/intellectual property infringement papers.

That is why H&M is so sought-after by trendy 20-something girls who are "in the know".....they don't have to wait 6 months and they don't have to pay 10-50x as much for the same looking item. They don't care if it's poor quality. It just has to look good while leggings (or whatever) are in....then onto fur vests or boho dresses or whatever is next.

It is a big deal because H&M is a Swedish company run by Swedes who do not know the US retail market very well. There are only 200-ish stores in the US and the vast majority are in well-known cities for tourism (LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, DC). A vote for Dallas IS a big thing because we're not the most exciting vacation destination (no South Beach, no Santa Monica Pier, no Empire Statw Building, no Mall or Smithsonion,)
Oh, don't get me wrong - I think they are pretty cool. I buy quite a few scarves from them (it's been very cold here), and I like their cottony-madras type shirts a lot.

They have five stores here now (I think), and a pretty large two story one in Midtown that is ALWAYS packed. I have to admit that I feel pretty old when I shop there, though. The crowds there tend to be teens-20 something females every time I go.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
That's what's up.
I thought only Dallasites say that!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

H&M hasn't publicly announced it, but if its anyones guess other Texas cities will get one too.

The one I went to in Chicago was mostly female shoppers.

It reminded me of a Forever 21 or Express only with the poor quality & craftsmanship of Old Navy.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
H&M hasn't publicly announced it, but if its anyones guess other Texas cities will get one too.

The one I went to in Chicago was mostly female shoppers.

Its reminded me of a Forever 21 or Express with the quality of Old Navy.
I heard Forever 21 downtown Houston is pretty much like H&M. Is that true??? I haven't been to the one downtown.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 PM

Saks, Neiman's, Dillard's, Barneys, and Nordstrom are the only upscale department stores in Dallas.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Downtown Houston has better shopping than Downtown Dallas & that isn't saying much.

The first Foley's Department Store now Macy's started in Downtown Houston over 100 years ago.
Ok, Its a Macy's. I bet the whole building isn't a Macy's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City