Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I think that one should date and marry someone within their own group. I take it that honor, heritage, culture, and race, and its continuation within your family mean nothing. Oh well. You're free to date who you want. I simply find your belief system a loss for your family.
You've got the right to think that way, but it's a little ridiculous in my opinion. What are you talking about in terms of "honor"? Is it 1800? Do you sport your family crest on a shirt every day? If I were to marry my girlfriend, why would an Irish/Brasilian mix somehow ruin the Irish culture to our kids? I'd love to hear your reasoning for that. All I want to do is create a child with a super-human drinking ability and unparalleled dance moves. Why is it wrong to want that? My parents are actually pretty pumped because now there's a chance they won't have grandkids so pale that they glow in the dark.

Quote:
There are plenty of pretty girls within your own race that you can be interested in. People like animals, it doesn't mean that you should date one. The same can be said for individuals outside of your group. While you may be attracted to some, it doesn't make it right, or ideal.
Umm...your comparison makes absolutely no sense. I think animals are awesome and girls from other races can be too. The difference is when I see a cute puppy, I don't want to have sex with it.

I don't think you were trying to be racist by comparing other races to animals, but the PC Police would be all over you for that one haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM

187 posts, read 541,548 times
Why wouldn't you say that you will never date someone outside your race? That's really limiting your options. You might be generally more attracted to your own race, but to say that you will never even consider having a relationship with someone outside your race? You can't choose who you fall in love with.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I think that one should date and marry someone within their own group.
What's my group? Americans? White people with olive skin who get mistaken for Hispanics? I feel more in common with someone who grew up near where I did in California regardless of their ethnic heritage, than I would with a white person from the South... Am I supposed to judge potential partners on their skin color? My girlfriend is half-Syrian but she's got lighter skin tone than I do...

Quote:
I take it that honor, heritage, culture, and race, and its continuation within your family mean nothing. Oh well. You're free to date who you want. I simply find your belief system a loss for your family.
And apparently it didn't mean much to my mother who ruined her perfect 100 percent Polish bloodline by marrying my mutt of a dad. Although if I looked back far enough in history, I could probably find some Ukrainians or Russians or even Mongols in her family line. And it didn't mean much to my ancestors who came over from England and Germany and ended fathering children with Indian maidens way back in the 18th century.

Quote:
There are plenty of pretty girls within your own race that you can be interested in. People like animals, it doesn't mean that you should date one. The same can be said for individuals outside of your group. While you may be attracted to some, it doesn't make it right, or ideal.
Hey, I'm interested in pretty white girls too... But are you really comparing dating someone of a different ethnicity with bestiality?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
What's my group? Americans? White people with olive skin who get mistaken for Hispanics? I feel more in common with someone who grew up near where I did in California regardless of their ethnic heritage, than I would with a white person from the South... Am I supposed to judge potential partners on their skin color? My girlfriend is half-Syrian but she's got lighter skin tone than I do...

And apparently it didn't mean much to my mother who ruined her perfect 100 percent Polish bloodline by marrying my mutt of a dad. Although if I looked back far enough in history, I could probably find some Ukrainians or Russians or even Mongols in her family line. And it didn't mean much to my ancestors who came over from England and Germany and ended fathering children with Indian maidens way back in the 18th century.
You raise some really good points here...am I allowed to date English women or French women since they're white? Or am I only confined to girls of Irish heritage? Should Cubans and Dominicans not be able to marry because they're of different heritages, despite the fact that they are both Latin?

Or are you purely just going by the color of someone's skin?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You raise some really good points here...am I allowed to date English women or French women since they're white? Or am I only confined to girls of Irish heritage? Should Cubans and Dominicans not be able to marry because they're of different heritages, despite the fact that they are both Latin?

Or are you purely just going by the color of someone's skin?
That's why these attitudes about "marrying within your people/kind" are so stupid. The more you think about it, the less it makes sense.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Exactly. Despite how "pure" you think you may be, I'm sure there's some tarnish somewhere down the line.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Exactly. Despite how "pure" you think you may be, I'm sure there's some tarnish somewhere down the line.
You may remember.... maybe eight/nine years ago now, there was a neo-nazi in Boston who, along with his girlfriend, was plotting to blow up the holocaust memorial near Fanieul Hall.

Turned out that his dad was black. And when this was brought up with him in the interrogations and court proceedings, he saw absolutely no conflict between his beliefs, and his racial heritage - his was brought up with a white identity, and his dad was a good person. Durrrr. Nice one, dude!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

haha I don't remember that but it's pretty funny when stuff like that happens

Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So you feel more connection with a latino gang banger in the LA area than you would with a well-respected family man who is a southerner? Right.

Quote:
I don't find a problem with people of various European ancestries marrying one another. There is a problem, IN MY OPINION, when people ruin their racial heritage by marrying outside their race. It strikes me as odd, totally against nature.

Quote:
Hey, I'm interested in pretty white girls too... But are you really comparing dating someone of a different ethnicity with bestiality?
Of course it's not bestiality. I was making the analogy of not dating things because you like them, when such isn't exactly the right thing to do.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's why these attitudes about "marrying within your people/kind" are so stupid. The more you think about it, the less it makes sense.
Why does it not make sense?

Your kind is your race. I'm not speaking necessarily about ethnicity, for time can erase cultural and ethnic traits. Race cannot be erased. Hence, it is smart for one to only date and marry within their race. If you say otherwise, I'll chalk that up to the brainwashing that the media has put out over the past twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City