U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Dallas is more similar to?
Atlanta, Dallas is more similar to Atlanta than Houston overall 51 43.97%
Houston, Dallas is more similar to Houston than Atlanta overall 47 40.52%
Other 18 15.52%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 PM

13,328 posts, read 13,289,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I would say yes they do have some plans in some parts of the city. Like some of the old and ugly looking strip centers are being torn down and new ones replacing it and stuff.

To be fair though, let me show you what it looks like off the freeways, if you can deal with driving and seeing this, then you'll be fine.

If you can deal with driving on freeways seeing these on the sides then you'll be fine:

I personally love my city, with its goods and bads, overall I find much more I like about it than dislike.

Lets be real here dude. Someone here is trying to tell someone else that there is nothing tropical/subtropical in the image of Houston. I disagree and most of the parts where I am from people will laugh and disagree with the person. This person went on to say inaccurate things about Houston, it lets me know straight up that they don't know the whole area they are commenting on. The person probably didn't even realize that the city of Houston sits on the salt water Bay of Galveston. I'm sorry that people have to hate on the place to make a point but its totally retarded, its like me hating on Dallas for fashion, its clearly a better fashion outlet than Houston is. I don't go around looking ways to rip it up and discredit it. Houston is a coastal city, Dallas-Fort Worth is not, I don't see why people have such a problem giving Houston credit for having its differences. Not liking someone is one thing but not liking something and trying to play it off like its useless in an area that it clearly is needed isn't my idea of a person knowing Houston well.

I don't need someone who doesn't live here and by the indications of their posts only seen limited areas of the metropolitan area telling me what they think firmly Houston is and isn't. I live here, I know well enough what it is. Its like me going and telling someone in Dallas-Fort Worth what their place is like, I no longer live there and haven't seen half the metropolitan area before, so who am I to make a assertive claim about the whole region as a whole? I am no one.
Where is that 2nd photo at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,249,743 times
Houston/ Gavelston is now pensacola beach or Corpus Christi beach please man get back to reality. There isn't one part of Houston metro that resembles a tropical paradise.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Where is that 2nd photo at?
Off I-45 near North Houston, where those adult video stores and stuff are next to that one ghetto mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Where are the "ugly" areas? People make it seem like there all over!
Off of 59 at Wilcrest & Stafford. Off of I-610 looking at North Houston at the intersection of I-45. Everything between I-45 to Beltway 8, that 11 miles stretch is by far the ugliest. I-10 near Pasadena. And I-45 in Texas City (where you see refineries).

Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,542,115 times
That's not too bad.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 PM

13,328 posts, read 13,289,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston/ Gavelston is now pensacola beach or Corpus Christi beach please man get back to reality. There isn't one part of Houston metro that resembles a tropical paradise.
It is what it is. It's coastal, it's humid, there's beaches, palm trees grow and thrive there. Tell me, what else would Houston be? Look at it on a map. I mean, are you gonna group it with Dallas? El Paso maybe?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,594,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Where are the "ugly" areas? People make it seem like there all over!
personally, this is what I would call ugly:

Houston, Texas - Google Maps
Houston, Texas - Google Maps

Midtown is considered one of the more popular areas of Houston; ironically it's one of my least favorite areas that I also find to be quite unsightly

Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM

13,432 posts, read 14,720,378 times
Quote:
Pensacola nor Corpus Christi are tropical places either. They are subtropical just like Houston and share the same climate and vegetation as Houston. Houston is indeed a coastal city like Corpus Christi and Pensacola as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Houston is big Pensacola lol

Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,695,180 times
How could you force the tropical image on Houston??? lol

It's located near the coast and palm trees are native to the area. I think people's perceptions are morphed by what they've seen over the years throughout the media; that they think if it doesn't look like Miami or LA; it's not coastal.

Houston sits in multiple regional areas. Its influence isn't just southern. I'd be more shocked if Houston didn't have palm trees to be honest.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
How could you force the tropical image on Houston??? lol

It's located near the coast and palm trees are native to the area. I think people's perceptions are morphed by what they've seen over the years throughout the media; that they think if it doesn't look like Miami or LA; it's not coastal.
not at all what I'm saying, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City