Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas is more similar to?
Atlanta, Dallas is more similar to Atlanta than Houston overall 55 44.00%
Houston, Dallas is more similar to Houston than Atlanta overall 51 40.80%
Other 19 15.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Actually, Colonial architecture may not be "common" in Houston, but it's certainly not out of the ordinary. Especially in the inner loop. Just take a stroll down Kirby in River Oaks; you'd be amazed. I don't know enough about Dallas' architecture to say for sure what you'll find up there

but honestly, infrastructure and architecture isn't really enough to say any two cities don't have much in common. now, I personally feel that neither of the three cities are more alike than the other, but DANNY definitely made a good argument in his OP for Dallas being more like Atlanta than Houston. you can't really just dismiss those facts

of course, being in the same state, Dallas and Houston will have many similarities they don't necessarily share with Atlanta, but it's not as if both cities don't have many parallels with their peer in Georgia.
I seem colonial in Houston I never said there wasn’t, I just said it’s no where near as common as in Atlanta, and also I’ve lived out there in DFW it’s not at all common it doesn’t go well with environment there anyways. Also Atlanta doesn’t have much ranch style architecture. But that is just the tip if were talking about architecture going into suburban track housing it’s even more blunt Dallas and Houston leans more brick Atlanta leans more wood and vinyl. I also never said these cities don’t have a lot in common but DFW is way more like Houston than Atlanta it’s not even funny.

The reasons why I pointed out infrastructure and architecture because DFW looks, feel, and is built a lot more like Houston than Atlanta. I mean how can you mistake Atlanta’s narrows twisting hilly roads and with Dallas giant wide street grid, it’s like Houston. ) And Houston and Dallas both have rings around there Downtown which give them a isolated look. Than the political set up, half of metro Atlanta lives in unincorporated area, but most of the population lives in incorporated cities in DFW, and Houston. But remember my first statement was Dallas is like neither but if I had to choose I would say Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
First the poster equated Hip Hop=black culture...ugh how insulting to black people I get so sick and tired of people thinking what they see on tv is a representation of black culture. ITS NOT!!!!!
You're twisting my words around and making it sound dramatic now and quite frankly its really starting to tick me off. No where did I state that is all African American culture has contributed, I just listed one god damn example of something African American culture has vastly improved upon, and how it does affect Atlanta. Lets get real, when you think music in Atlanta, most people think Hip Hop and there are plenty of successful rappers in Atlanta.

And before you come at me with the "why are you coming at me" or "chill out dude" comments, look at your posts all they've tried to do was paint what I said out of light. Get real.

And frankly just look through threads involving these cities they degenerate into conversations about "I think Houston is southern because Slim Thug has dreads" and stuff. The hell are the rest of us supposed to think?

Another thing your point of Hispanics "now" being the majority and overtaking African American populations in Dallas aren't true.

Dallas City Limits:
Hispanics Population in 2009: 559,969
Black Population in 2009: 291,621

Hispanics Population in 2006: 513,739
Black Population in 2006: 288,187

Yeah in 3 years the population gains for there groups were very minimal in a supposed "fast growing city". So I don't see how what you said is true.

I cant get information for 2000, but the sites I've seen with percentages have shown that Hispanics have been a larger share of both Dallas's & Dallas-Fort Worth's population over African Americans since the 1980's.

Dallas-Fort Worth Demographics:
Dallas- Fort Worth Hispanic Population in 2009: 1,616,307
Dallas- Fort Worth Black Population in 2009: 855,403

Hispanics make up an overwhelming presence in Dallas-Fort Worth's demographics.
Quote:
calm down. nobody is saying that. I'm saying that Latinos do not have the same influence in DFW that blacks have in Atlanta. Having Mexican restaurants all over doesn't exactly equal power.
Thanks for clearing that up. The words and how they were worded were disturbing me, but unlike kdogg I didn't want to jump on you for saying something you weren't trying too so I thought I ask. I know it sucks being accused repeatedly and being painted in a light that you weren't trying to give off.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Latinos, but both Houston and Dallas' big populations of them is largely due to illegal immigration (several sources back me up on this and I've had to use them here before. give me a chance to find them)
I would like to see a source for this please. And AlGreen, you also owe me a source for the fashion rankings debate. Just thought I remind you before we forgot about that.

Honestly guys, I wasn't trying to say that all Black culture has given is "Hip Hop" I was just citing the first cultural thing that came to my mind for both, for Hispanics it was food and for Blacks it was Hip Hip, because I eat and listen to them both. Frankly I don't appreciate the way someone took what I had to say out of context, and kept jumping on it like I said something wrong. I never said "that's all these cultures have brought in" I gave two examples and that was it. I really don't appreciate that at all, and AlGreen I see the point you're trying to make. And I think you're trying to say "Blacks in Atlanta have tried to make more of an impact on their community than Hispanics have in Dallas-Fort Worth".

But the part where I disagree with is that there are 1.6 Million African Americans in Atlanta & 1.6 Million Hispanics in Dallas-Fort Worth, their large presence just being there is a cultural right of its own.

I think conversations are better off when we ask people what they meant and to clarify something we don't get than jumping on them and trying to embarrass them for something they didn't mean. For that thanks AlGreen.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
As far as Latinos not having the same impact as Blacks in Atlanta for Dallas; I don't know. However, you can't the same for Houston. Lots of successful wealthy Latinos there.

I remember Lifeshadow or Danny posted up statistics showing the wealth of Latinos in different cities around the country; Houston was pretty significant.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I seem colonial in Houston I never said there wasn’t, I just said it’s no where near as common as in Atlanta, and also I’ve lived out there in DFW it’s not at all common it doesn’t go well with environment there anyways. Also Atlanta doesn’t have much ranch style architecture. But that is just the tip if were talking about architecture going into suburban track housing it’s even more blunt Dallas and Houston leans more brick Atlanta leans more wood and vinyl. I also never said these cities don’t have a lot in common but DFW is way more like Houston than Atlanta it’s not even funny.

The reasons why I pointed out infrastructure and architecture because DFW looks, feel, and is built a lot more like Houston than Atlanta. I mean how can you mistake Atlanta’s narrows twisting hilly roads and with Dallas giant wide street grid, it’s like Houston. ) And Houston and Dallas both have rings around there Downtown which give them a isolated look. Than the political set up, half of metro Atlanta lives in unincorporated area, but most of the population lives in incorporated cities in DFW, and Houston. But remember my first statement was Dallas is like neither but if I had to choose I would say Houston.
well everyone's entitled to their opinion. and I stand by mine, and that's that in the grand scope of things, neither city is more like one than the other

and I'm not sure what you meant about colonial architecture not going with the environment in texas. it looks beautiful anywhere

edit: now you wouldn't be trying to suggest that houston and dallas sprawl more than atlanta, would you?

Last edited by AlGreen; 01-05-2011 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Does Houston has homes that look like these:

Townhomes like these:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1KA3rzZ_wWUVFM:http://www.tratonhomes.com/uploads/communityphotos/lifestyle18.jpg&t=1 (broken link)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
A&M, all three cities are pretty much on the same level when it comes to the McMansion style development in the burbs.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Houston's look different!
http://www.chesmar.com/houston/canyon-lakes-west/images/Alegriaexterior.jpg (broken link)

ATLANTA's STYLES ARE MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Houston's look different!
ATLANTA's STYLES ARE MUCH MORE ATTRACTIVE!
These homes are located in The Woodlands, TX (Suburb of Houston)

These homes are located in Shenandoah, TX (suburb of The Woodlands which is a suburb of Houston)

Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,804 times
DFW has homes like that and I am sure Houston does too. Southern Colonial homes are a type that we lack compared to Atlanta

Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM

I LOVE the last photo under The Woodlands! That's the DC suburban house!

So, basically, there are no Southern Colonial (Atlanta style) style homes in Houston and DFW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City