Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas is more similar to?
Atlanta, Dallas is more similar to Atlanta than Houston overall 55 44.00%
Houston, Dallas is more similar to Houston than Atlanta overall 51 40.80%
Other 19 15.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

DANNY, aren't they improving Houston's image off the freeways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Ehh, it depends what part of Metro Houston you're in. In the Southeast area towards the beach it starts getting kinda tropical.
you mean "subtropical" lol. Houston isn't exactly the Amazon

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Well to be fair, Houston off the freeways is "ugly" (ugly as in disorganized and messy looking) because of what you see. But that's on the freeways. It doesn't speak for the city as a whole but thats just something most people see because you have to be on the freeways to get around in Houston. Houston also in some areas has these power lines and stuff that just hurt its image.

But yes the scenery in the surrounding areas are nice and refreshing. They really are. You'll hear it from the Houston haters first that Houston "isn't properly tropically themed". Yet I live in one of those homes that have a tropical image, with palm trees. I think haters need to speak for themselves first and foremost, lets be real, stucco Spanish style housing in the Houston area is available in The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Katy, Pearland, Westheimer near Richmond, nearly half the places in Brazoria County.

Palm Trees being in Houston especially being native species to Houston aren't out of place, when the city sits on the gulf. Yes there are some parts of the city that can do without palm trees but people who don't know my city well enough wouldn't know any better.

I agree. I live here, love it, and I agree. People who hate Houston and are out to discredit it every chance they can get, they can disagree all they want. Take a visit to this 10,000 square mile (100 X 100) Metropolitan Area and see at least 80% of it, and THEN you will have credibility to speak about my home. Till then, no go.
but just because people have "negative" opinions about the city doesn't mean they don't know it. to know houston is not necessarily to love it.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
DANNY, aren't they improving Houston's image off the freeways?
I would say yes they do have some plans in some parts of the city. Like some of the old and ugly looking strip centers are being torn down and new ones replacing it and stuff.

To be fair though, let me show you what it looks like off the freeways, if you can deal with driving and seeing this, then you'll be fine.

If you can deal with driving on freeways seeing these on the sides then you'll be fine:

I personally love my city, with its goods and bads, overall I find much more I like about it than dislike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but just because people have "negative" opinions about the city doesn't mean they don't know it. to know houston is not necessarily to love it.
Lets be real here dude. Someone here is trying to tell someone else that there is nothing tropical/subtropical in the image of Houston. I disagree and most of the parts where I am from people will laugh and disagree with the person. This person went on to say inaccurate things about Houston, it lets me know straight up that they don't know the whole area they are commenting on. The person probably didn't even realize that the city of Houston sits on the salt water Bay of Galveston. I'm sorry that people have to hate on the place to make a point but its totally retarded, its like me hating on Dallas for fashion, its clearly a better fashion outlet than Houston is. I don't go around looking ways to rip it up and discredit it. Houston is a coastal city, Dallas-Fort Worth is not, I don't see why people have such a problem giving Houston credit for having its differences. Not liking someone is one thing but not liking something and trying to play it off like its useless in an area that it clearly is needed isn't my idea of a person knowing Houston well.

I don't need someone who doesn't live here and by the indications of their posts only seen limited areas of the metropolitan area telling me what they think firmly Houston is and isn't. I live here, I know well enough what it is. Its like me going and telling someone in Dallas-Fort Worth what their place is like, I no longer live there and haven't seen half the metropolitan area before, so who am I to make a assertive claim about the whole region as a whole? I am no one.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
I so agree my friend. It's supposed to be the clearest beach between Port Aransas, Texas (Near Corpus Christi, TX) all the way to Pensacola, Florida. And its in the Houston Metropolitan Area (Brazoria County). And I do have to admit, unlike Galveston which has dull and crowded beaches, Surf Side is serene and relaxing, and closer to my house haha.

Normally when I go to Galveston, the sunsets are very nice to see above the water. It's just a very calm and chillax mood set.

Kemah Boardwalk in Houston Metropolitan Area:

This is Surf Side Beach at 5 AM, said to be one of the most photogenic places early in the morning in Texas (It's in the Houston Metropolitan Area- Brazoria County):

^ Surf Side Beach is roughly about 4 Miles total in length and is said to be one of the clearest spots for water on the Texas Coast north of South Padre.

This is a small Island that is in the Houston Metropolitan Area, its called Quintana. It was a previously a historic site for merchants and villagers that needed a place to fish and trade, its located in Brazoria County (Houston Metropolitan Area):

This is Freeport Beach, also located in Brazoria County of the Houston Metropolitan Area:

The Bolivar Pensinsula, which has miles and miles of beaches, its in Galveston County adjacent to Galveston Island:

Galveston Island in Galveston County of Houston Metropolitan Area:

Those are nice photos. Metro Houston is coastal, I don't know why people are tripping.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Sorry for the questions, I interested! Exactly, what kind of stuff is Houston replacing the old with?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Lets be real here dude. Someone here is trying to tell someone else that there is nothing tropical/subtropical in the image of Houston. I disagree and most of the parts where I am from people will laugh and disagree with the person. This person went on to say inaccurate things about Houston, it lets me know straight up that they don't know the whole area they are commenting on. The person probably didn't even realize that the city of Houston sits on the salt water Bay of Galveston. I'm sorry that people have to hate on the place to make a point but its totally retarded, its like me hating on Dallas for fashion, its clearly a better fashion outlet than Houston is. I don't go around looking ways to rip it up and discredit it. Houston is a coastal city, Dallas-Fort Worth is not, I don't see why people have such a problem giving Houston credit for having its differences. Not liking someone is one thing but not liking something and trying to play it off like its useless in an area that it clearly is needed isn't my idea of a person knowing Houston well.

I don't need someone who doesn't live here and by the indications of their posts only seen limited areas of the metropolitan area telling me what they think firmly Houston is and isn't. I live here, I know well enough what it is. Its like me going and telling someone in Dallas-Fort Worth what their place is like, I no longer live there and haven't seen half the metropolitan area before, so who am I to make a assertive claim about the whole region as a whole? I am no one.
but Houston really isn't tropical. this is tropical lol:

http://c1.ecolocalizer.com/files/2009/05/amazon-rainforest.jpg (broken link)

Palms =/= tropical. That's why I said the term "subtropical" should be used instead

truth be told, back in the early 20th century, before it's growth, I wouldn't doubt that there really was nothing "tropical" looking about houston. that image was sort of imposed on the city

Old 01-05-2011, 10:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
you mean "subtropical" lol. Houston isn't exactly the Amazon
Yes, that's what I meant, it isn't exactly Omaha either.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Sorry for the questions, I interested! Exactly, what kind of stuff is Houston replacing the old with?
Replacing old and ugly (low grade elevated) strip centers seen off the sides of the freeway:

With newer and less uglier looking (higher grade elevated):

To be fair though not every area of Houston off freeways is ugly, just about a third. Which is still a lot but yeah, if you can deal with looking at what I posted above off the sides of the freeways then you'll be fine.

Quote:
but Houston really isn't tropical. this is tropical lol:
Palms =/= tropical. That's why I said the term "subtropical" should be used instead

truth be told, back in the early 20th century, before it's growth, I wouldn't doubt that there really was nothing "tropical" looking about houston. that image was sort of imposed on the city
Yeah that's what I meant, subtropical. What's the difference lol? I mean when I think of Tropical, I think of Bahamas or something and the only places in the US would probably be Key West.

But yeah that's what I was talking about, it's subtropical or whatever, meaning it can be the coast, have hot weather, have palm trees, and have coastal looking architecture.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM

Where are the "ugly" areas? People make it seem like there all over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City