Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas is more similar to?
Atlanta, Dallas is more similar to Atlanta than Houston overall 55 44.00%
Houston, Dallas is more similar to Houston than Atlanta overall 51 40.80%
Other 19 15.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Dallas-Fort Worth is probably the middle ground between the coastal styled city of Houston, and the rolling hilled Atlanta.

Which one is it more like? Dallas-Fort Worth unlike Houston & Atlanta is a pair (Dallas & Fort Worth) whereas both Houston & Atlanta are standalone cities. But the actual city of Dallas in my opinion has more in common with Atlanta than it does with Houston.

Dallas to Atlanta:
- Rolling hills (Houston has hills in the far Northwest side of its Metropolitan Area near Cleveland, TX so it doesn't count)
- No niche industry, just a diverse and balanced economy
- Prime logistical hubs
- Demographically similar, except African American population of Atlanta is a trade off with Dallas-Fort Worth's Hispanic population roughly
- Landlocked cities but located in the North half of the state
- Atlanta's Downtown & Midtown relationship is much like Dallas's Downtown & Uptown's relationship
- Both tied for the same spot in fashion
- Both are cultural centers for their region
- Although Dallas's winters aren't like Atlanta's exactly they are closer to what Atlanta's are than to Houston's (in my opinion)

Dallas to Houston:
- They're in the same state
- They have nearly identical Hispanic populations
- They have strong economies

^ If anyone wants to add more in, they're free to do so.
Yeah so which one is Dallas (Dallas-Fort Worth as a whole) more like, Houston or Atlanta? Please give reasoning as to why and how and maybe a list of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 04:06 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
I'm thinking more Atlanta but it's rather close.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
I'm thinking more Atlanta but it's rather close.
It is close, but overall I have to give it to Atlanta too. Dallas has similarities between both cities, a lot of similarities to be exact but overall its still more closer to being like Atlanta than it is to being like Houston. Houston in general, even for Texas seems to be the outliers to many things and different than the rest by so much contrast. Houston is a confusing city to understand exactly.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Dallas is easily more like Houston. Easily. Both have those signature Texas freeways, both have a pretty impressive grid layout for their arterial roads, both have plenty of open prairie in their metro area, etc. And DANNYY, Houston's hills start at around the Woodlands. The only part of Dallas that can even resemble the hills in Atlanta is SW Dallas County and some of the Fort Worth area. Not sure what you mean by cultural centers for their region. Having lived in both DFW and Houston and visiting Atlanta plenty of times, Atlanta feels almost nothing like DFW and its layout is more similar to Houston (freeway wise at least and the fact that Atlanta is the center of its metro area). Houston and DFW feel a lot more similar.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
I hate when people like to compare these three.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 21,625 times
Atlanter

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I would love it on these city vs city comparisons, posters actually stated if they had traveled to or lived in any of the cities being debated and for how long. I feel like most people just spout off meaningless crap that they don't know anything about.

Been to Atlanta once for work (stayed in Buckhead area), live in Dallas, and to Houston many many times. Dallas has basically NO rolling hills, except for along US67 which runs southwest from I-35 about 10 miles south of downtown Dallas. Yes, the area is pretty, but the suburbs in the hilly parts of Dallas county are among the least desirable due to poor public schools. Kessler Park is the only in-town neighborhood that is legitmately hilly and can be compared to Austin's hills & trees. Houston is flat, but the Forrest areas of the Woodlands and other northeast suburbs of Houston are most similar to the Forrest-y feel of Atlanta.

Shopping is pretty much a draw for all 3.

Houston's Uptown and Atlanta's Midtown seem more alike than Dallas' Uptown and Atlanta's Midtown.

Houston's exclusive wealthy area, River Oaks, reminds me much more of Buckhead than Dallas' Highland Park or Preston Hollow enclaves.

Houston's downtown and Atlanta's seem more similar in terms of people out & walking, major stuff like pro sports downtown, and mass transit set-up.

Economies of Dallas and Atlanta are more similar than Houston and Atlanta.

Suburbs of Houston and Atlanta seem more similar to me than Dallas' suburbs.

For art, all three have solid "tier 2" art collections. Good, but not great like the Art Institute of Chicago or the Met/MoMA in NYC or the Smithsonion collections in DC.

Nightlife- draw, very similar, unless you're a black young professional then Atlanta is better than either TX city.

Population- yes, all three have large minority populations but you can't compare AA in Atlanta with Hispanic in TX. Many more AA's in Atlanta are middle to upper middle class, educated professionals than you will find similar socioeconomic status Hispanics in TX.

Public schools are a draw in all 3.

Overall, all 3 are similar in being located in the southeast quadrant, having good international airports, fairly strong local economies and housing markets that weren't devastated like other US cities, being mild climates, and being a fairly affordable place to live and raise a family in terms of number of suburbs within 1 hour to downtown with good schools and under $300k homes.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:59 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Nightlife- draw, very similar, unless you're a black young professional then Atlanta is better than either TX city.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
other. Dallas is more its own thing, Houston and Atlanta are more similar demographically + culturally, food choices, music... both Deep South mega cities. Houston took over what New Orleans might have been, Atlanta took over what Charleston/Savannah might have been.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
other. Dallas is more its own thing, Houston and Atlanta are more similar demographically + culturally, food choices, music... both Deep South mega cities. Houston took over what New Orleans might have been, Atlanta took over what Charleston/Savannah might have been.
Ohh I disagree with that. First, I don't consider Houston a Deep South city. Southern yes. Deep South, no. I think demographically, Houston is more like DFW than it is like Atlanta. Both Dallas and Houston have around the same amount of Black Americans and they have a stronger Asian and Hispanic population than Atlanta. Food choices are also more closer to DFW than it is to Atlanta. Beef and Pork BBQ, Tex-Mex, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City