Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well, of course, YMMV...

But here are some examples to share with you and the OP and whomever else might be interested....

Traffic: We lived 2 miles from the interstate, in a town on the north side of the county. It would routinely take us 45 minutes to get from the interstate to our house and vice versa. 45 minutes to go 2 miles. If that isn't bad traffic, then I don't know what is. Routine accidents on the interstate between Mooresville and Huntersville, backing traffic up for miles.
You made it seem like traffic was horrible all across town all times of day. I lived in Rock Hill for a few years and commuted to Charlotte for work and play, and the only time traffic was bad was AM and PM rush hours--unless there was an occasional accident.

Quote:
Groceries: The major rival to Harris Teeter is Lowe's. Ick. Still high priced. You of course have the options of Super Wal Mart and Super Target and if Publix is in Rock Hill, that's better.
Someone mentioned the other options that exist.

Quote:
Weather: If you carefully read all my posts, you will notice that I acknowledge that Columbia is hotter than Charlotte. But the OP ruled out Georgia as being "too hot"....and that is an erroneous belief that Atlanta is hotter than Charlotte. Also, Charlotte is hotter than other choices that the OP might consider, given that they can move anywhere. Charlotte IS hotter than other cities in the SE, such as Atlanta, Asheville, Greenville, Raleigh, or Nashville.
Average climate data for Atlanta

Average climate data for Charlotte

Not much of a difference, it seems. No argument about Asheville, Greenville, Raleigh, or Nashville though. But of course, those aren't the only cities in the SE (e.g., Savannah, Jacksonville, Orlando, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, etc.)

Quote:
Geography: The three lakes you mention are by and large not very visable to the average person living in the metro Charlotte area. Yes, you cross Lake Norman on the way to and from Mooresville, but just on average, you are not seeing the pretty lakes on anywhere near a daily basis unless you live on one or own a boat.

Compare this to Charleston, the OP's other choice. Depending on where you live, you are surrounded by natural beauty. (I don't necessarily mean Summerville). We take 3 bridges to get my daughter to school. I see boats, birds, glorious sky vistas, the water, palmetto trees, etc. We pass historic mansions and charming bungalows on the way to and from school. When we lived on the Isle of Palms (where the OP probably couldn't afford to buy, but might be able to rent) we saw the ocean every single day. Just coming home from Target the other day I saw the most glorious sunset on one side of the ICW with the moon rising on the other. It is stunning.

Even say someplace like Asheville, NC...the mountains are visible and stunning just driving around.
I'm not arguing that Charlotte's geography is better than Charleston's at all. It's obvious that Charleston clearly has the upper hand here. But my point is that it's not like Charlotte is on a plain or in a desert. Plus it's pretty equidistant to both the coast and the mountains, so the variety either way is pretty accessible.

Quote:
Amenities: True, Charlotte has the Panthers and NASCAR and superior shopping, and again, if you read all my posts, you will see where I write about that.

But with the exception of the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, I can't think of anything Charlotte has that you can't find in other SE cities, larger and smaller. Greenville has their arts center, as does Raleigh, and of course Atlanta has the Fox, etc.
Even a small town can have an arts center. The fact is that Charlotte has light rail downtown (with a station immediately adjacent to Time Warner Cable Arena and the EpiCenter complex) and a brand-spanking new cultural complex that includes two art museums, a performing arts facility (in addition of Blumenthal), and the African American museum. And of course BOA stadium is downtown as well. Charlotte has the benefit of having these amenities clustered within its urban core within walking distance of transit. Neither Greenville nor Raleigh can say that. Atlanta obviously can because it's a much larger city, but even then, the venues tend to be split between downtown and Midtown although still quite accessible by transit.

Quote:
Compare again to Charleston, the OP's choice. Charleston has more dining choices; the restaurants are by and large not chains; the seafood is fresh off the boat. It is one of the culinary centers of the country. Charleston has an IMAX (2) to match Charlotte's, a kids museum and an aquarium equal to if not better than Charlotte's Discovery Zone. We have minor leage baseball, college sports, architecture, history, boating, boat parades, excellent shopping (although I do give the nod to Charlotte), greater variety of churches, etc.
I'm not trying to pit Charleston against Charlotte as both have their advantages, but my point is that every Southeastern city doesn't have Charlotte's amenities. Cuisine and history are distinct to Charleston, but Charlotte has everything else you mentioned plus some (large gatherings/special events in particular).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 AM

41 posts, read 58,930 times
I am in a similar situation as the OP. I am trying to figure out between Charleston SC area and Raleigh NC. In Charleston how is the summer heat/humidity compared to FL's summer? See how everyone feels humidity is different. I see someone mentioned MI and humidity.In Charleston are many residential areas for homes where you can hear trains? When I looked into Cary area I found out many are in the path of trains which is not for me and also the flight path. In both SC and NC is the sun out more then not or is it often dreary?
Sorry to take over your thread. To the OP I hope you find a place you are content in.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM

17 posts, read 37,128 times
As has calgirlinnc, I lived in Charlotte for 10 yrs and also Winston Salem for 20. I am planning to *move to Charleston* in a few months! While I personally did enjoy Charlotte, it was years ago and from what I hear, the areas I enjoyed then like Dilworth are now $ out of range of alot of us., This is a town built on banking, so there are lots of transplants around. There is a lot to do and a good downtown, but the city is also very spread out and can take an hour to get to the other side. Winston Salem...well frankly I am MOVING, so...

I wanted a bit warmer weather too, warmer than mid-NC and also the BEACH! Wilmington on the coast of NC is a nice smaller town with lovely beaches, but just a little too small for me, but you could check that as well. Good luck!!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM

68 posts, read 174,611 times
Agree with Calgirl's description of Charleston area...we live in Summerville, SC and all the communities mentioned we drive to easily, all sort of connected by highways bridges etc. I really like the Mt. Pleasant area, beaches close, lots of shopping and restaurant choices, just across the bridge from Charleston. West Ashley is close to downtown also and has older more established neighborhoods. We've been up the road to Myrtle Beach (about an hour and half) from here or down to Beaufort, SC. We usually go downtown about once a week to walk the Battery area and explore the historic district.
The Charleston Farmer's Market is always a neat place to hang out on Saturday at Marion Square.
Lots to do and see here. Lots of private schools here...the public schools are hurting for funding due to
changes in property taxes etc. So check out school districts carefully here, some good ones and some bad. I was employed in schools before retiring a few years ago. Like most metro areas I would avoid driving during rush hour as traffic can be a real pain...all in all a beautiful area.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM

232 posts, read 728,639 times
Hi there. I realize this post is over a month old. Just wanted to ask the OP if they have visited or decided on an area? I am currently living in Fort Mill and haved lived in charlotte (so Charlotte)..also moved from doylestown pa in beautiful bucks county....we are planning our move to charleston...it's in the works! Send me a message if you have additional questions. Fort mill isn't anything like living in new jersey.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
samsdad, where did you end up moving and are you happy with the choice?

I grew up in North Jersey, but have lived with my wife & kids in Voorhees/Cherry Hill for the past 10 years. But like you, we want to leave the state for the same reasons and are looking at the same 3 areas that you originally posted.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Lived in Charlotte and Fort Mill and now Mt laurel, NJ

Their Ok. Nothing I want to stay at

Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
Hi there,

My daughter & family are moving to a suburb outside of Charlotte. Relocating from NYC with two very young children. They are over the moon. They looked into Westchester, Jersey & Long Island. Homes & taxes way to expensive; not to mention the commute. I live in south Florida so I am very happy to have them closer.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech3911 View Post
samsdad, where did you end up moving and are you happy with the choice?

I grew up in North Jersey, but have lived with my wife & kids in Voorhees/Cherry Hill for the past 10 years. But like you, we want to leave the state for the same reasons and are looking at the same 3 areas that you originally posted.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
Where did u end up moving? I am currently in Troy, NY and there is nothing here. I am planning to move south but don't know where. Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,595 times
Default Please help

Calgirlinnc, how's the weather in Asheville, NC?
I'm living in Troy, NY, there is nothing here for me. It is very expensive and jobs don't pay enough. Additionally, I hate the weather and I am looking for a warmer city where I can walk to a downtown full of events, and feel free, go to the beach, visit churches, appreciate art, where my children can take classes such as culinary, art, drawing, etc.....things that will show them culture. Looking for great schools, because with a low income like the wages here I don't think I can afford a private school. A place that is safe and that there are after school programs as I am a single mother. I just need a more cultural place than where I am living at. I am looking for a happy medium: A better place for me and my kids with lots of things to do. Any ideas? Someone suggested me Asheville, NC, others Charlotte, NC, others Texas......at this point I don't know where to go. I don't want brutally cold winters, I am tired of those here specially in the month of February. A place with beautiful houses, I am currently paying $1,000 for 3 bed, one bath in public housing and the apartments are not pretty, have no charm. Not fair.....I don't feel happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City