U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,400,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Charleston is larger than you probably think. It has a fairly long string of suburbs, relative to the city's size, up along I-26, and it has suburbs on both sides of the peninsula.
I disagree with the part about a "fairly long string of suburbs up along I-26" and I'm native to Orangeburg County. I know that entire area better than anyone else in this thread probably. The only suburb that has a presence along I-26 is Summerville (the US 17 exit). By the time you pass that going south, you have essentially entered Charleston. Columbia really doesn't have any sizable southern suburbs; the main ones would be Irmo to the northwest, Lexington to the west, and unincorporated Richland County to the northeast. There's basically nothing but vegetation between Columbia and Summerville. The exception is Orangeburg and that's not saying much at all, since it really only has a presence at the US 601 exit (which is typical suburbia--fast food joints, motels, gas stations, etc.). Gadsden, Dixiana, St. Matthews, Bowman, Holly Hill, Harleyville, etc. are nothing but typical small country towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,567,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus90 View Post
Your mom should have aborted you.... douchebag

LOL @ someone from Crackchester NY putting down somewhere else
This thread is taking a turn for the best.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,920,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrus90 View Post
Your mom should have aborted you.... douchebag

LOL @ someone from Crackchester NY putting down somewhere else
Given that this is just your second post, I am guessing that you don't know what can happen to you when you use the Forum for personal attacks. Well....what happens is that a moderator finds out that you did it and you can get slapped with a suspension from posting and a warning. So, be advised that personal attacks don't go un-noticed or un-punished. Be good!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM

1,860 posts, read 4,456,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thats not true. The outer suburbs of the Charleston metro area are maybe 30 minutes from the outer suburbs of the Columbia metro. Columbia sprawls even closer to Charlotte.

The three metropolises alone have almost 4 million people. Add in the exurban communities in between and you have almost 5 million people...the size of metro Atlanta! That's no small potato.
This thread is humorous! I love living in Columbia as a transplant by the way - not too big, not too small, just perfect by our standards - but your facts are way off, and this is the first I've ever heard of a "Triple-C Carolina megalopolis." Heck, you'd get more of a 'Carolina megalopolis' just going along I-85 w/Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte, Greensboro & indirectly Raleigh, those 5 cities would start to get you close to Atlanta's metro population.

First, the three metros combined barely make it to 3 million people, and Charlotte (1.75 million) has more than Columbia (745k) & Charleston (659k) combined.

Columbia has very little in the way of 'suburbs' to the south towards Charleston beyond the I-77/I-26 interchange - from that interchange to the first Summerville exit (#199, US-17 ALT), the outer edge of the Charleston metro, it's 83 miles! More like an hour & 15 minutes than 30 minutes! And as other have said, with the exception of Orangeburg which is like 15k people, there is nothing between the two.

And while the northern edge is closer to Charlotte, it's still a good 50 miles from the northern most exit (#27 on I-77) in the metro area - Blythewood - to the southern most exit of the Charlotte metro in Rock Hill (#77 - US21).

Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM

531 posts, read 982,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Given that this is just your second post, I am guessing that you don't know what can happen to you when you use the Forum for personal attacks. Well....what happens is that a moderator finds out that you did it and you can get slapped with a suspension from posting and a warning. So, be advised that personal attacks don't go un-noticed or un-punished. Be good!

lmaoo nahhh dont worry about him (or her); it's either the OP or one of the charlotte faithful who spent the time making a whole new account so they can post that. no suspension/warning necessary. i say what i feel like saying on my own account, because if i get banned, my life will continue as normal; whereas a few of these people would lose their reason for living. hence the influx of 1-3 post accounts maliciously defending the cities that these CD-obsessed avatars live in.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,920,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
This thread is humorous! I love living in Columbia as a transplant by the way - not too big, not too small, just perfect by our standards - but your facts are way off, and this is the first I've ever heard of a "Triple-C Carolina megalopolis." Heck, you'd get more of a 'Carolina megalopolis' just going along I-85 w/Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte, Greensboro & indirectly Raleigh, those 5 cities would start to get you close to Atlanta's metro population.

First, the three metros combined barely make it to 3 million people, and Charlotte (1.75 million) has more than Columbia (745k) & Charleston (659k) combined.

Columbia has very little in the way of 'suburbs' to the south towards Charleston beyond the I-77/I-26 interchange - from that interchange to the first Summerville exit (#199, US-17 ALT), the outer edge of the Charleston metro, it's 83 miles! More like an hour & 15 minutes than 30 minutes! And as other have said, with the exception of Orangeburg which is like 15k people, there is nothing between the two.

And while the northern edge is closer to Charlotte, it's still a good 50 miles from the northern most exit (#27 on I-77) in the metro area - Blythewood - to the southern most exit of the Charlotte metro in Rock Hill (#77 - US21).
Actually, the Piedmont Crescent (which, by the way, is a term that is actually used in NC) is about on par with metro Atlanta. Using CSAs, Charlotte is at 2.389 Million + The Triad's 1.581 + The Triangle's 1.742 = 5.712M. Atlanta's CSA is listed as 5.831M. If we assume that, like the latest Census showed it for Georgia, that Atlanta's population has been overstated, that puts the Crescent about on par with metro Atlanta.

The Piedmont Crescent wikipedia page says that the population is 6 million but I think that's overstated. If you look at how they delineate that 6 million, you'll see that "they" attribute more to Charlotte than the latest Census numbers validate. BTW, "they" is probably somebody from Charlotte and possibly someone who posts on CD. It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Piedmont Crescent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM

6,505 posts, read 16,245,765 times
Why is the population of one metro (Atlanta) the benchmark for validating a "megalopolis" of a handful of metros?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,084,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Why is the population of one metro (Atlanta) the benchmark for validating a "megalopolis" of a handful of metros?
When you look at what a megalopolis is defined as, you can see a case for the Piedmont Crescent being defined as one. However, a Charlotte, Charleston, Columbia megalopolis is hard to say. I say the areas are definitely connected and could function as megaregion, it isn't continuous as much as the Crescent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or