U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 33 21.57%
Charlotte 2 1.31%
Dallas 28 18.30%
Fort Worth 0 0%
Houston 45 29.41%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Memphis 2 1.31%
Miami 27 17.65%
New Orleans 16 10.46%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
He was implying Jluke that LA and NY both have major attractions outside of city limits.
I know that and it fails. Sorry, but you can't compare it to LA because it's not like that. Dallas still hasn't established itself yet like NY and LA. LA and NYC play a huge part in their metropolitan areas; culturally, economically and influentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 AM

624 posts, read 668,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas is no LA; so lets drop that comparison right now.
Jluke I have nothing against you or Houston, in fact I'm one of the few Texans here who becomes joyful when other cities in TX get new developments and progress for the future and also I gave Houston its props in the begining of this thread and even voted for it. BTW I wasn't comparing cities I was just making a point that other cities also have this same characteristic.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,066,618 times
Quote:
Dallas is no LA; so lets drop that comparison right now.
Actually, it's a very fair comparison to make. If you're saying that population doesn't count for anything (which is a HUGE stretch) because DFW is divided due to not every amenity/attraction being in the actual city of Dallas, then you can say the very same thing for other polycentric metros like LA, the Bay Area, the Twin Cities, etc. As an outsider with no dog in the fight so to speak, I have to say that population counts for a whole lot when you're pushing 7 million as a metro area. A whole lot. The Metroplex is obviously going about things a bit differently than those other metros, but judging by the population and job growth that's been happening in the region, it seems to be working for them.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
I know that and it fails. Sorry, but you can't compare it to LA because it's not like that. Dallas still hasn't established itself yet like NY and LA. LA and NYC play a huge part in their metropolitan areas; culturally, economically and influentially.
Oh boy, there's no sense talking to you, my posts are clear enough to where a 8 yr old would understand what I meant, it seems you just want to argue.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually, it's a very fair comparison to make. If you're saying that population doesn't count for anything (which is a HUGE stretch) because DFW is divided due to not every amenity/attraction being in the actual city of Dallas, then you can say the very same thing for other polycentric metros like LA, the Bay Area, the Twin Cities, etc. As an outsider with no dog in the fight so to speak, I have to say that population counts for a whole lot when you're pushing 7 million as a metro area. A whole lot. The Metroplex is obviously going about things a bit differently than those other metros, but judging by the population and job growth that's been happening in the region, it seems to be working for them.
This is about big city feel right??? Population doesn't matter in the DFW area because the area is very divided. If you move to FW; you live in FW. If you move to Plano; you live in Plano; people moving to those areas will have little affect on the city of Dallas. It's different with Houston or Atlanta because these cities are the focus point of their areas.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Oh boy, there's no sense talking to you, my posts are clear enough to where a 8 yr old would understand what I meant, it seems you just want to argue.
Dude I knew what you meant and I got the comparison ,but it fails because Dallas still doesn't have that influence over its metropolitan area like LA or NYC.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
This is about big city feel right??? Population doesn't matter in the DFW area because the area is very divided. If you move to FW; you live in FW. If you move to Plano; you live in Plano; people moving to those areas will have little affect on the city of Dallas. It's different with Houston or Atlanta because these cities are the focus point of their areas.
You're correct this thread is about big city feel and if you look at my first post I gave credit to Houston/Atlanta, my whole point for even bringing up the population of DFW was in response to Kdogg817's post, you're the one who took it to another level.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 AM

3,580 posts, read 4,102,858 times
Quote:
The same can be said for the Bay area and LA area. Hell the bay area has triplets San Jose, SF and Oakland. The LA area has Anahiem, Orange County etc...Do you think all those people commute to LA for work or SF for work?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
You're correct this thread is about big city feel and if you look at my first post I gave credit to Houston/Atlanta, my whole point for even bringing up the population of DFW was in response to Kdogg817's post, you're the one who took it to another level.
The purpose of this website is to debate right; I disagreed with your statement about Dallas having the most potential to compete with the Big Boys; yet I'm taking it to another level???

Old 01-08-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The same can be said for the Bay area and LA area. Hell the bay area has triplets San Jose, SF and Oakland. The LA area has Anahiem, Orange County etc...Do you think all those people commute to LA for work or SF for work?
Nope, but the same can be said for every county. Not everyone commutes from the suburbs to the city, but a decent amount do. Also; my purpose of saying what I said was that Dallas doesn't have an influence on it's metropolitan area like LA or NYC.

With that said; It's 4 in the morning and I'm tired. I'm going to bed, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City