Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, everyone knows how Cali sucks, and that everyone is leaving, and the only thing holding it up is illegal migration

LOL not funny. Don't even go there.

California > Texas.

Texas COL > California COL

California scenery, food, cities, population, landscapes, weather, cultures, people, economy size > Texas

Get it right.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:32 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefanatic View Post
Ahh yes, Minneapolis is such a boring state.
Be nice. Geography is one of the U.S.'s more poorly taught subjects.

I feel compelled to preface my list with the following: I have nothing against any of these states personally, save one.

Florida: Nothing against it, it just doesn't seem like a place I'd enjoy. Don't care for the heat, sprawl, and beaches aren't really my thang.

Ohio: Not sure why, but it doesn't appeal to me. There are a lot of people who've moved from Ohio (I've met people from Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, thus far) to the state where I live and they love it here (I hate it here), which makes me wonder, "Wow, if they think THIS is a good time, it must really be slow goin' in Ohio."

Nevada: Can't think of anything there I'd enjoy. Not a gambler, don't enjoy desert topography, but perhaps it's divine for people who've been there their whole lives.

South Carolina: Shame really, as I've been told that Charleston is quite lovely, but I'm afraid I would have no interest in trading one conservative enclave for another.

Texas: Too hot, too conservative, too sprawly, and not nearly as economically robust as the media advertises. I'm going on two years without full-time work. I live in Texas and it's not where I care to be. I was born here, raised here, and find that I am completely in conflict with all things which are celebrated here. The baseless pomposity and endless braggadocio are irritating beyond belief. Dare you have any comments or have the temerity to critique the "great" state of Texas, the response is typical, "Then get the h*ll out! We don't need you!" "You don't know what you're talking about." "I'll bet you're not even from Texas. You sound like you're from California!" and so on and so forth. The previous poster who said that most Texas cities are pro-Dem is correct insofar as most urban centers do tend to be less conservative than the rest of Texas, but comparatively-speaking, the more rural/suburban populations make up a significant portion of the population and have a far greater influence on the policy landscape than the urban populations. The Texas Legislature, Governor, and essentially all Texas government offices (Attorney General, Land Commissioner, State Board of Education (sigh) etc) are solidly in conservative control.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow, you must be Canadian Aie?

Plus Bush is not from Texas. Both Bushes are from the NE, Massachusetts and Connecticut
yes he was only your governor and owned the texas rangers. don't you have to be a bonafide TX citizen to be governor? :/

Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
LOL not funny. Don't even go there.

California > Texas.

Texas COL > California COL

California scenery, food, cities, population, landscapes, weather, cultures, people, economy size > Texas

Ay carumba, are we going to go into another one of these threads?

This Texan would much rather live in California (truth be told, at this rate I'd live in Omaha, Nebraska if I could find a job), but if ever there was a never ending debate it's this one, don't you think? Y'all have fun I guess.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yes he was only your governor and owned the texas rangers. don't you have to be a bonafide TX citizen to be governor? :/

she didn't say Texas because Bush was Governor. she said Texas because Bush is from there. Nope he is from Connecticut.

LBJ and Eisenhower are the presidents who were born and spent their formative years.

Bush grew up in Connecticut and developed his strategery there

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Someone should make a thread like this for cities. I don't have anything against any states at all to be honest. But there are a few hippie crackhead driven cities that I hate with an absolute passion that I wouldn't mind ranting about today.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Ay carumba, are we going to go into another one of these threads?

This Texan would much rather live in California (truth be told, at this rate I'd live in Omaha, Nebraska if I could find a job), but if ever there was a never ending debate it's this one, don't you think? Y'all have fun I guess.
No I hate these dumb Texas vs California debates and it seems like every thread turns into that because a Texan starts it first. Here on out, I'm dropping it.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
^^^^^^^
After reading citygirl102's response I envisioned a person that really doesn't know as much as they might think they do. The same with several other responses. It is obvious some of the people who have posted here are pretty naive about what each state has and rely on what they think each state is all about. Silly responses, obviously several people are bored
Ummm, correct me if I'm mistaken but is not the premise of this board, a message board as a matter of course, that an individual is invited to post their opinions? Is not the hope that people will have something meaningful, substantive, and dare I say it, informative to contribute? She is entitled to her opinion, as are you.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Someone should make a thread like this for cities. I don't have anything against any states at all to be honest. But there are a few hippie crackhead driven cities that I hate with an absolute passion that I wouldn't mind ranting about today.
Here Here!

Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I have been to all but 4 states. I do still hope to get to Alaska one day to visit, but three of the ones I skipped are those that I would never want to live in:

Kansas
Iowa
Nebraska

Perhaps I have a flawed opinion, but they just seem boring, no water or mountains, a lot of flat dry ground.

I can't come up with another 2. There are places in all the others that
I wouldn't mind living. I'd never make it in the hot and humid parts of the south, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City