U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
she didn't say Texas because Bush was Governor. she said Texas because Bush is from there. Nope he is from Connecticut.

LBJ and Eisenhower are the presidents who were born and spent their formative years.

Bush grew up in Connecticut and developed his strategery there
What would you consider formative years?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,282,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What would you consider formative years?

birth up to teens.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:50 PM

634 posts, read 802,118 times
Quote:
she didn't say Texas because Bush was Governor. she said Texas because Bush is from there. Nope he is from Connecticut.

LBJ and Eisenhower are the presidents who were born and spent their formative years.

Bush grew up in Connecticut and developed his strategery there
I'm not quite sure that Eisenhower can be said to have spent his "formative" years in Texas.

From the Encyclopedia Britannica Online Reference Center:

"Eisenhower was the third of seven sons of David Jacob and Ida Elizabeth (Stover) Eisenhower. In the spring of 1891 the Eisenhowers left Denison, Texas, and returned to Abilene, Kansas, where their forebears had settled as part of a Mennonite colony. David worked in a creamery; the family was poor; and Dwight and his brothers were introduced to hard work and a strong religious tradition at an early age."

Bear in mind that Ike was born in 1890, so he would have been around 1 upon leaving Texas. Formative might be overstating a bit.

Also, it doesn't matter if GWB or GHWB were born here are not, if you get airports and public policy schools named after you, it speaks more to the community's embrace than any disavowals made on these boards.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,469,060 times
Alaska's the only state I can think of where I could not possibly live. And that's only because it's so remote. At one time I had romantic notions of unlimited space and privacy, but that's passed. Actually, by the same token I couldn't really live in Hawaii, and that's a paradise! But it's just too far from the mainland for me.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
Quote:
birth up to teens.
That's funny then. Bush attended public schools in Midland, Texas until the family moved to Houston after he completed seventh grade. He then went to The Kinkaid School, a prep school in Houston, for two years.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,047,086 times
Deep South ... or anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line:

Too Glenn Beck, too gun-crazed, too pickup truck driving redneck-y, some places as an exception (the Space Coast in FL, comes to mind).

I would never live anywhere near the South if I can avoid it.

I would rather change careers than live in the South.

California - too regulated, too taxed, ... but they do have plenty of hot latinas ... I remember a few specimens when I visited San Fransisco ...

NYC - too crowded, in-your-face .. rest of the state would be do-able I think

Any of the Great Plains states outside of the major cities. Cow tipping and truck driving and shooting just aren't my thing.

thinking about it, the only places I'd consider living are:

Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Orlando / Space Coast, Miami, maaaaybe St. Louis if I HAD to, and San Fransisco if I HAD to.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM

2,535 posts, read 1,074,334 times
Has anyone mentioned Oklahoma? I guess I will then for the same reason as Minneapolis or the entire state of Minnesota and Florida as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 11,707,618 times
There are no states I could not live in but I prefer where I am here in North Carolina. I once thought about renting a home in each state for one month at a time until I had stayed for one month in all the states, but I became so concerned about our water pipes when we went on vacation in December that I decided we will take short vacations only. Besides we live in a variety vacationland, so we can just get in the car and go to the city, mountains or beach in less than a day. Outer Banks take a little longer to get to, but we just usually go and stay there.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,282,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's funny then. Bush attended public schools in Midland, Texas until the family moved to Houston after he completed seventh grade. He then went to The Kinkaid School, a prep school in Houston, for two years.

pfffft he is still a Connecticut yankee

Old 01-09-2011, 05:52 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,297,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
^^^^^^^
After reading citygirl102's response I envisioned a person that really doesn't know as much as they might think they do. The same with several other responses. It is obvious some of the people who have posted here are pretty naive about what each state has and rely on what they think each state is all about. Silly responses, obviously several people are bored
I have already come to that conclusion after about 5 of her posts. It sounds so bad, but I am over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City