Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 AM

15,317 posts, read 17,142,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Here are my 5 with short explanations:

1. New Jersey: Very crowded, really high cost of living, pollution problems, and after reading Joel Stein's article on Edison I can pretty much see they don't like my kind there.
Actually, much of western and southern Jersey is pretty rural with state parks, numerous hiking trails, lakes, beaches, and even a ski resort (granted it isn't anything like New England or the Rockies, but still pretty decent). Fresh air, good water, good food, decent schools...overall a high quality of life here. My only issue is the high tax burden, traffic, and inner cities, but there is much of New Jersey that is ignored by the media. Of course everything is subjective, so I can understand if you don't like the state, but it shouldn't be painted with a broad brush.

My travels are limited, so I can't really judge entire states, but from what I've seen, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, and Vermont don't interest me. The latter is beautiful, but too "hippyish" for me and the former are just too hot and humid during the summer. South Carolina doesn't seem to have a great job market either.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 AM

963 posts, read 2,398,514 times
I could probably be happy in any of them, or most of them.

But...

Michigan: The economy, the winters, and the economy.

North Dakota: Several months of being slowly freeze-dried.

Nevada: The economy, and the feeling of being slowly dry-roasted.

Mississippi: I know many very, very cool people from Mississippi. They live in North Carolina. You talk to them about it, and Faulkner or Robert Johnson comes up, as a point of pride. And then the subject is quickly changed. And at this late date, black/white does not qualify as diverse.

Alaska: Great state. Seriously remote.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 AM

639 posts, read 1,283,804 times
Ohio, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska

Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl102 View Post
Alabama- could not live here. To southern. No large enough cities. Not very open minded. I tend to avoid the deep south in general. They also get hurricanes and tornadoes in Alabama.

Alaska- too rural. No city life, plus, Sarah Palin's from here. Too cold in the winter. All of the parks located there must be so pretty, but I don't think I could tolerate living there.

Arizona- dry, dusty, and too warm for my liking. I can hardly deal with 90 degrees, let alone 110 degrees. I also do not like the style of the homes in Arizona.

Arkansas- No major cities, hillbilly-ish, southern. There is really not that much to do here, and there are still a lot of racist people that live in the south.

California- too many natural disasters occur there. Also, too many Hollywood stars and very polluted. I like the Californian liberal mindset, but my heart belongs in the Northeast. San Francisco would be awesome if it weren't so expensive.

Colorado- I would live here in the Denver area, possibly. The Rocky Mountains are absolutely breathtaking. Not my favorite state, since it is in the middle of the country, but it's okay.

Connecticut- I would also live here, too, but it isn't quite urban enough for me. The location is nice, though, since it is in the heart of the northeast, and located pretty close to Boston. New Haven and Hartford might be nice.

Delaware- Potentially, I could live here. Maybe have a beach condo here in Rahobeth Beach or somewhere like that. But I don't like the flatness. Probably a spot I'd only pick for vacations.

Florida- No. I really don't like how warm it is, and I like places with lots of younger citizens, not older people (nothing against old people, though). Also has too many hurricanes, and it is southern as well.

Georgia- Very unlikely, but I guess I could live in Atlanta. But I really wouldn't want to all that much. Too southern (like I've mentioned for all the states in the south).

Hawaii- Possibly. But it is very isolated from the rest of the United States. More as a vacation place than a place for every day life. Also, it has a very high cost of living.

Idaho- No way. Too rural and nothing ever happens. Too conservative. Also, way too many potatoes are grown here. There is really nothing that makes this state desirable to me.

Illinois- Maybe in Chicago, since it has some universities, good nightlife, and big city life, which I love. But that's it. Otherwise, your typical farming midwest state.

Indiana- Most likely not. Corn fields and flat land galore. Possibly Indianapolis, Lafayette, or Bloomington, since these are the only semi-liberal spots in the state. But like I said, extremely likely.

Iowa- 99% sure I would not live here. Again, farm-ish, midwest, conservative, nothing to do. In the middle of no where. Too flat and not enough going on to keep me entertained.

Kansas- No. Tornado alley, first of all. Boring deserted towns with (for the most part) uneducated, right-winged people. Greensburg is located here, though. I admire the citizen's focus on the environment.

Kentucky- Again, most likely not. Not too much going on here. If I had to I might live in Louisville, but that's only under extreme circumstances. It also is located right between the south and the midwest, two of my least favorite places.

Louisiana- Very much likely not. New Orleans would have been a cool place to live (one of the only exceptions I would make with the south) but after Hurricane Katrina, it has become too deserted.

Maine- I could live here. I love the northeast so much. Except there aren't really any big cities. But it is so scenic and gorgeous. Also, the islands off the coast of Maine are wonderful.

Maryland- Sure. Baltimore Inner Harbor is very nice. Also located in the Mid-Atlantic, which is nice, too. It technically can be considered the south, though. Not my #1 pick but not my last, either.

Massachusetts- Yes. I really like MA and Boston. Full of culture and city life, and New-England style, too. Only drawback is the high cost of living.

Michigan- Depends. I absolutely love Ann Arbor. I'd live there in a heart beat. But I wouldn't live anywhere else in that state. Ann Arbor is the utopia of Michigan. Good vacationing spots there, though.

Minnesota- Maybe. I really do not like the midwest, but Minneapolis seems to be a growing city that I could potentially like. But the winters are horrible. Also, tornado alley.

Mississippi- No. Probably one of the worst states because of its lack of major cities and things to do. I despise the deep south and don't like how flat it is down there.

Missouri- Very unlikely. It is too far away from civilization and the coast. St. Louis might be a fun place to live, and the Ozark Mountains are very scenic, but other than that, no thanks.

Nebraska- No way. It is extremely flat and not located anywhere near the cool cities in the United States (which tend to be on the coasts). It also is very boring and lacks in things to do.

Nevada- No. I don't like gambling, the dry, hot climate, and the conservative, greedy people (for the most part) that live there in general. Also, I don't like all of the endless neighborhoods from the recent sprawl there.

New Hampshire- Sure. It is one of my favorite states and very pretty. Mt. Washington is so beautiful, and Dartmouth is there, as well. But then again, no major cities there. But still could potentially live there.

New Jersey- I don't know why, but I don't really like New Jersey. It has a high cost of living but low quality of life, in my opinion. Just am not a huge fan of it.

New Mexico- No. Desert climate, and I don't like the style or architecture there. The dust and the heat bother me a lot. I also don't want to be too far away from my homeland of the northeast.

New York- Yes. I love New York. One of my favorite states. I love the city, and I love upstate just as much. So much to do, I definitely would live here! There are the mountains, Niagara Falls, a million things to do in the city, the Finger Lakes, the list goes on and on!

North Carolina- Maybe. Some of the college towns would be nice. The Great Smokey Mountains are absolutely beautiful and scenic. But then again, it's the south....

North Dakota- No. To rural. Middle of nowhere. Nothing to do. And all of it looks the same, too. Not enough entertainment or other things to do that would make me want to live there.

Ohio- Probably not. I live here right now, but not by choice. Politically conservative, most of the people I have met here aren't too friendly (there are some cool people, but they are rare) and other than the urban areas (most of which leave little to be desired) are not good places to live.

Oklahoma- No. Tornado Alley would freak me out. Also, no geographic diversity, or racial diversity, for that matter. I also do not want to live in a place with a lot of farmers and small towns.

Oregon- Possibly. I like the immediate west coast and the mountains there. Portland seems like a very cool place to live, since it is green and liberal. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure I'd like living in Oregon.

Pennsylvania- Another yes! I really like Pennsylvania and Philadelphia. Northern PA has great mountains and cute little towns. Philadelphia is a very fun city with lots to do. I would definitely live here. I really like most of the northeast in general.

Rhode Island- Possibly. It kind of lacks that big city feel I like, though, with the (sort of) exception of Providence. The Atlantic Coast is very beautiful, though.

South Carolina- Most likely no. A good place to vacation, but South Carolina is a very southern place, and I don't like the south (in case you didn't figure that out). Also, South Carolina has no big cities. Very cool beaches, though.

South Dakota- This place is neither socially, geographically, or politically diverse. Nothing to do or see, no large cities, and for the most part does not contain the type of people I am friends with.

Tennessee- Pretty doubtful that I'd live here. Again, conservative, Republican, rural. Nashville may be cool, though, since I am a very musical person, but I'm not quite sure if I could tolerate the south.

Texas- Extremely doubtful. George Bush is from Texas. It is way too flat and conservative. Some of the major cities, such as Austin and Houston may be nice, but I wouldn't want to live there long term. It may be Austin, but it's still Texas.

Utah- Immediate no. Way to Republican. Way to conservative. No liberal, eco people such as myself live there. I like to experience cities with all different types of people.

Vermont- Probably. Very green and forward thinking. Yes, it's rural, but it's not your midwest rural. I would consider living in Burlington and I think I could find a lot of people like me there.

Virginia- Maybe. It is kind of the south, but the D.C. metro area might be nice. It also has very pretty hills. But I'm not quite sure if there'd be anything that would really draw me to live there, though.

Washington- Another maybe. Seattle is an awesome city, hands down. But it is prone to earthquakes. I love Seattle's mindset and liberalness, but I can't see myself in any other part of the state. It is also very rainy there.

West Virginia- Very unlikely. I do not like small towns where everyone knows everybody, and that is, for the most part, what you get in West Virginia. I like to live in a more diverse area than that.

Wisconsin- Depends. Madison seems like a cool college town that is open-minded and tolerant. But then the rest of Wisconsin isn't really like that. It is also a very flat place, and I love the mountains.

Wyoming- Heck no. This is the state that has the smallest population. There are no major cities located here what-so-ever. You have to travel really far in order to get to civilization. Yellowstone is here, though.

A lot of these states I may not want to live in, but I still like to visit them and explore them.
Yaawwwwwn. The Northeast, seasons, leafs, blah, blah, blah.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,913,256 times
Quote:

1. New Jersey: Very crowded, really high cost of living, pollution problems, and after reading Joel Stein's article on Edison I can pretty much see they don't like my kind there.

2. California: High cost of living, lots of taxes, I could live in the bay area but culturally I just cannot see myself fitting in well there. Had bad experiences there and the rest I will say later on.

3. Arkansas: Even though I am here right now, pretty soon I will be leaving this state. Great people but not much to do, not much diversity (I love Latinas, only know four that live in this whole state lol), and the higher education system isn't that great (the best university in this state is not even ranked in the top 100).

4. Mississippi: High obesity rate and my visits to the state have shown me it is very poor when compared to other southern states.

5. Alabama: Not that great of a higher education system and generally not much diversity there other than Black or White. People there do seem nice though.
How in the world can an entire state be too crowded? Is your goal to someday have your own census tract?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:35 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times
The OP loves starting passive aggressive threads.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,935,680 times
Quote:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think anyone spend that much time concerning themselves with Indian people one way or the other in NJ. Seriously.
Stop projecting your personal insecurities outward.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 9,827,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Texas: too right, boring, hot, humid

Alaska: Too isolated, too cold, too boring

Missouri, kansas, Alabama: Too right, too boring
What do you mean by that?

All of Texas isn't humid.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
1. Oregon (annoyingly progressive and crawling with hippies)
2. California (ridiculously expensive housing)
3. Vermont (see #1)
4. Massachusetts (too Bostonish)
5. New York (would get sick of saying "I'm from New York" and having it interpreted as being "New York City" when in actuality I would live in Upstate NY because it would be much better.)

Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendij1 View Post
who cares about sentence structure/ this is a chat board.
Well when you are trying to make a point, it helps move your argument along. Trust me, you might want to consider better sentence structure so people don't laugh at your posts and give you no credibility. I mean it's just a thought, take it as you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City