U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
 
5,302 posts, read 4,502,047 times
Reputation: 4657

Advertisements

I could certainly name more than five, but just for a taste:

Dallas--too conservative, too Bible-Belt, but overall, just too hot; record numberof days above 90
Miami--just too humid, too far away from areas with a change of seasons
Baltimore--very humid summers, too much poverty/housing decay; very depressing
New Orleans--extremely humid, very high rate of crime
Las Vegas--not interested in the lifestyle, oppressive summer heat, not enough moisture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
 
7,926 posts, read 5,698,795 times
Reputation: 3452
Dallas
Houston
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Florida (excluding Miami)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,745 posts, read 1,125,499 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Dallas
Houston
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Florida (excluding Miami)
nice list, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Leesburg
799 posts, read 696,871 times
Reputation: 232
Seattle
Portland
Phoenix
Charlotte
San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,296,740 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
No particular Order

Atlanta: I was extremely disappointed and underwhelmed, I'm just going to say it, it's boring! There is nothing special or unique about it!
Houston: See Atlanta
Charlotte: See Houston
Jacksonvillee: My boyfriend lives here, I refuse to visit him...see Charlotte
Columbus: Couldn't wait to graduate and get the hell away from this place. Take away OSU and Columbus has nothing!
Toledo,OH: Or as I call it...Hell! Born and raised here, finally I'm free!!!
How interesting that someone from TOLEDO of all places finds metros of over 5 million people boring. And you REFUSE to visit your boyfriend simply because he lives in Jacksonville?

Sounds like you are going to have a difficult time finding somewhere that "suits" you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
 
179 posts, read 168,191 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How interesting that someone from TOLEDO of all places finds metros of over 5 million people boring. And you REFUSE to visit your boyfriend simply because he lives in Jacksonville?

Sounds like you are going to have a difficult time finding somewhere that "suits" you.
I don't find all metros with over 5 million people boring just the ones I listed Currently I live in DC and I have no problem with the area, in fact I LOVE IT! Only city I could probably love more is NYC or Chicago.

I refuse to visit my boyfriend in Jacksonville because it's a dump and he agrees. He prefers to visit a city that is young people friendly, meaning we will have something to do, so it's really not a big deal for either of us.

Honestly Columbus, Charlotte, Houston, Jacksonville,and Atlanta could all be the same city to me. They are sprawled, strip mall oriented, no interesting architecture...just, boring, no offense. There's really no reason to visit them unless you have a business trip or family memeber that lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
 
Location: NYC
1,745 posts, read 1,125,499 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
I don't find all metros with over 5 million people boring just the ones I listed Currently I live in DC and I have no problem with the area, in fact I LOVE IT! Only city I could probably love more is NYC or Chicago.

I refuse to visit my boyfriend in Jacksonville because it's a dump and he agrees. He prefers to visit a city that is young people friendly, meaning we will have something to do, so it's really not a big deal for either of us.

Honestly Columbus, Charlotte, Houston, Jacksonville,and Atlanta could all be the same city to me. They are sprawled, strip mall oriented, no interesting architecture...just, boring, no offense. There's really no reason to visit them unless you have a business trip or family memeber that lives there.
According to the eternal wisdom of johnatl you have no credibility to criticize a large city unless you were born and raised in one. Lol..

@ Johnatl -- a city's population is in no way a barometer of how exciting, boring or liveable that city is. And there are plenty of examples in the US proving that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
 
7,926 posts, read 5,698,795 times
Reputation: 3452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
nice list, man.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,720 posts, read 3,021,848 times
Reputation: 1566
You couldnt pay me a million dollars to live in cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Columbus, central city
1,225 posts, read 2,960,563 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
According to the eternal wisdom of johnatl you have no credibility to criticize a large city unless you were born and raised in one. Lol..

@ Johnatl -- a city's population is in no way a barometer of how exciting, boring or liveable that city is. And there are plenty of examples in the US proving that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal198 View Post
I don't find all metros with over 5 million people boring just the ones I listed Currently I live in DC and I have no problem with the area, in fact I LOVE IT! Only city I could probably love more is NYC or Chicago.

I refuse to visit my boyfriend in Jacksonville because it's a dump and he agrees. He prefers to visit a city that is young people friendly, meaning we will have something to do, so it's really not a big deal for either of us.

Honestly Columbus, Charlotte, Houston, Jacksonville,and Atlanta could all be the same city to me. They are sprawled, strip mall oriented, no interesting architecture...just, boring, no offense. There's really no reason to visit them unless you have a business trip or family memeber that lives there.
Regarding Columbus, Charlotte, Houston, and Jacksonville and Atlanta being "the same city"
MINUS one major difference: Columbus was founded in 1812 and thus has an urban core that did develop during the late 1800s and victorian era.

Thus the pre WWII Columbus city boundary is actually the same size as Dallas in preWWII terms. Today this is easily seen when visiting columbus' central city neighborhoods which are far more urban and dense than the other cities mentioned (minus Atlanta due to new condo/office development)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top