Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Jacksonville
San Diego 41 73.21%
Jacksonville 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times

Advertisements

San Diego, CA

vs

Jacksonville,FL

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/JaxMontageWiki.png/383px-JaxMontageWiki.png (broken link)

In any category you can name.

• Nightlife
    Downtown
    economy
    culture
    things to do
    food
    politics
    architecture
    overall living
    beaches
    weather
    crime
    skyline
    neighborhoods
    shopping
    outdoor activities
    sports.

Which do you think is the overall city choice ?

Explain your answer and vote.

Last edited by mt971x; 01-11-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Well one city has about 3 million people, and the other city has less than 1.5 million people, so it's not the best comparison.

San Diego's nightlife is probably a lot better than Jacksonville's, given its size, but Jax definitely holds its own (anyone can enjoy either city there).

San Diego's downtown is light years ahead of Jacksonville's. There is no comparison. What downtown Jax does have is a river running through it, beautiful bridges that are lit up at night, and a riverwalk on both sides. I think it's a cooler waterfront setting than San Diego, but there is no denying that San Diego has an actual "downtown" and Jacksonville has a large CBD with a few residential buildings scattered about.

The economies of both cities are similarly dismal, but better than average for their states. San Diego and Jacksonville actually have relatively similar economies, and both are large military towns, which keeps things stable. I would expect Jacksonville to dig out of its hole sooner than San Diego, though.

Culture? Both cities are reflective of being military towns with lots of transplants. Neither has an overwhelming homegrown "culture," but due to diverse populations, lots of history (with the Spanish in particular for both cities), and because each city is in a growing/large state, there are bastions of random cultures throughout each city. You can see a symphony, ballet, theater, music performance, or poetry reading in either town.

Food? Hmmm...I don't know SD food. I like Jacksonville's food. Jacksonville has decent fine dining for a city its size, but it also has tons of good/fresh seafood, lots of Arab food/Arab run delis, and lots of ethnic food for a city its size. I imagine SD is similar with a more Mexican approach.

Politics? Both cities are actually fairly conservative, being family/military towns. Both cities have more registered Democrats than Republicans, but both metros swing Red, usually.

Overall living? I don't get it. Lifestyles are similar, but different. Both cities are very laid back. Both cities have abundant sunshine and palm trees (even more in San Diego being SoCal and all). Both cities have tons of beaches. Both cities have older neighborhoods, though I would much prefer the older neighborhoods in Jacksonville. Both cities have beautiful coastal resort/retirement towns (LaJolla in San Diego, Ponte Vedra in Jacksonville). It could come down to cost of living, and Jacksonville's COL is probably half that of SD's.

Beaches? San Diego has more heavily used beaches with oceanfront parks whereas Jacksonville's beaches are a little more private and fronted by houses and condos. I personally would prefer less crowded beaches and warmer water (*much* warmer water), so I'll take Jacksonville's beaches.

Weather? Jacksonville has FL/subtropical weather with winters that can have cold snaps and San Diego has year round moderate, pleasant CA temps with no humidity.
I think San Diego takes the cake here.

Crime? I've only seen SD crime on Gangland, a Discovery Channel show. Seems to have lots of gangs, but then again Jacksonville is the murder capital of FL (by per capita only). I'm sure both cities have their fair share, but I'm sure it's easy to escape the crime in both cities.

Neighborhoods? I'm very partial to Jacksonville. I love old, grid neighborhoods with lots of northern influence from the 1920s, and Jacksonville is full of those. I think living in La Jolla would be interesting, but it may be the only place I would live in SD, and I can't afford it. I'll take Jacksonville's (plus, while packed in like a rat in many of the suburbs of Jax, you are less packed in than in SD).

Shopping? I'm sure San Diego takes the cake here. Duh. When you have 3 million people in SoCal, you're going to have good shopping!

Outdoor Activities? Probably a complete toss up. Both cities have numerous beaches. San Diego has mountainous areas to hike while Jacksonville has coastal state parks good for kayaking. I'm sure biking in both cities is great, and obviously running is great with warm air and abundant sunshine.

Sports? San Diego, duh. What, 4 professional sports teams? Jax only has the Jaguars and a few semi-professional leagues in arena football, basketball, hockey, AA baseball, etc. Jacksonville is home to golf (PGA) and tennis (ATP), but it's not the same. Both cities have numerous golf courses and tennis courts, but I would put golf and tennis in Jacksonville ahead of San Diego.

San Diego: 5
Jacksonville: 4
Toss Up: 5

I guess overall, if each category were equally weighted, then San Diego takes it by a hair. I'd say both cities offer similar qualities, but San Diego is obviously much larger.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
^San Diego is the 8th safest city in America. Those "gangs" are in only the south part of San Diego and it's nothing compared to many many other cities with crime.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Crime? I've only seen SD crime on Gangland, a Discovery Channel show. Seems to have lots of gangs, but then again Jacksonville is the murder capital of FL (by per capita only). I'm sure both cities have their fair share, but I'm sure it's easy to escape the crime in both cities.
Here is what I said. Fair and balanced. Saying that in both cities crime is probably not much of an issue and is probably isolated to certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
^San Diego is the 8th safest city in America. Those "gangs" are in only the south part of San Diego and it's nothing compared to many many other cities with crime.
Here is what you said in response as if I had just said that crime in SD was so awful. And link? I believe you (maybe?), but you can't just throw out that number that SD is the "8th safest" city in the country.

Besides, I pulled for SD in the end, *even though Jacksonville is my home town.* I guess you somehow thought I was giving out false info/dumping on your city? I'm tired of people on C-D misconstruing other people's posts or not even reading other people's posts before commenting on them.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Here is what I said. Fair and balanced. Saying that in both cities crime is probably not much of an issue and is probably isolated to certain areas.

Here is what you said in response as if I had just said that crime in SD was so awful. And link? I believe you (maybe?), but you can't just throw out that number that SD is the "8th safest" city in the country.

Besides, I pulled for SD in the end, *even though Jacksonville is my home town.* I guess you somehow thought I was giving out false info/dumping on your city? I'm tired of people on C-D misconstruing other people's posts or not even reading other people's posts before commenting on them.
America's Safest Cities - America's Safest Cities - Forbes.com

I am sorry if you took it that way. I get tired of people giving false info about SD on here and so I get sensitive, I'll admit. SD has some trolls and people who just go off on it for no apparent reason so i wanted to make it clear that it is one of the safer cities.

What's nice about San Diego is pretty much the entire city/county feels safe. I can only think of a few areas that I would not go to after dark, and none that I would not feel safe in during daylight hours.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
at least compare with Tampa... Jacksonville vs San Diego???

I pick San Diego in all categories.

Reasoning? Multiple visits to both cities.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I have yet to go to Jacksonville so I can't really make a comparison, but since there are Navy bases there I might be stationed there someday. I have lived in San Diego for nearly 10 years. Based on what I know, San Diego wins overall. What gives San Diego the edge is scenery (mountains in addition to beaches), milder climate, better public transit options (although I think Jax is proposing light rail, but not sure if it will catch up the SD Trolley level), lower crime rate, and more things to do. Jacksonville might have an edge with a lower cost of living, less crowds, and Southern culture (which can be good and bad). Those pics of Jacksonville look cool though, especially that bridge. The Coronado bridge is just a high road with no character (although it looks nice when it is lit up at night).

Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I have yet to go to Jacksonville so I can't really make a comparison, but since there are Navy bases there I might be stationed there someday. I have lived in San Diego for nearly 10 years. Based on what I know, San Diego wins overall. What gives San Diego the edge is scenery (mountains in addition to beaches), milder climate, better public transit options (although I think Jax is proposing light rail, but not sure if it will catch up the SD Trolley level), lower crime rate, and more things to do. Jacksonville might have an edge with a lower cost of living, less crowds, and Southern culture (which can be good and bad). Those pics of Jacksonville look cool though, especially that bridge. The Coronado bridge is just a high road with no character (although it looks nice when it is lit up at night).
The angles are a bit off and not showing you the full picture making it look better than it is.
JAX DT is completely dead in comparison to SD.

Here are some aerial shots.

Your instincts are quite accurate.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
at least compare with Tampa... Jacksonville vs San Diego???

I pick San Diego in all categories.

Reasoning? Multiple visits to both cities.
Tampa is no where close to being compared to San Diego are u kidding me?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
San Diego on all counts...Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City