U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worst
Washington, D.C. 29 11.42%
New York City 62 24.41%
Chicago 120 47.24%
Los Angeles 18 7.09%
Atlanta 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,852,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You need to remove ATLANTA from this poll -- it has NO housing projects anymore. The last one was torn down last year. Hello?
Really? Neat. I honestly think that's for the best. I'm okay with subsidized housing but concentrated poverty doesn't do anyone any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 02:55 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Naw I mean the old heads used to talk about 3 project cities: New Orleans, Atlanta, and Chicago. Natives and transplants alike, I like the stories of New Orleans it was more cultural, the Atlanta and Chicago stories was had a kind of socio-political feel but still very cultural.
The old heads must be 40 or 50 because I'm nearing 30 and this is the first I've heard of Atlanta's.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,079,887 times
Quote:
How do you talk about big city projects and NOT mention San Francisco? Valencia Gardens (demolished), Geneva Towers (demolished), Double Rock, Alamany, Sunnydale, Oakdale, 200 Randolph, etc... the majority of these are still standing and as ****ty as ever.
As a San Francisco native I agree that public housing in SF is among the worst in the country. However, people who aren't from the Bay aren't familiar with the ugly impoverished side of a city which is often applauded as the most beautiful city in America. A lot of people who've never lived in the Bay refuse to beleive that the projects of SF are much more neglected, isolated and full of out-of-control crime than the PJ's in stereotypically "harder" cities. Outsiders believe that SF is a tourist/yuppie/flaming homosexual's paradise free of extreme blight. This is far from being true. The projects in Hunter's Point look like a concentration camp or prison facility in a third world country. The projects in SF make most of the jects in Oakland look nice and livable. Not to mention most of SF's homicides are concentrated in the areas in and or near the projects. Hunter's Point is only 5% of SF but accounts for 20-30% of all of The City's homicides every year. The projects in SF look terrible. SF projects are so bad because they are extremely remote and tucked away from tourists and rich people. Not all Cali ghettos look nice with single family homes and huge front lawns and driveways like places in like Compton. Also, the projects in Hunter's Point are right near the most polluted toxic dump on the entire West Coast. Non-coincidentally, Hunter's Point has the highest infant mortality rate in California as well as above average rates of cancer.

712 Missouri St San Francisco - Google Maps

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

Sunnydale has been rated as one of the worst housing PJ's in the nation for years.

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project - SFGate

Newsom tours Sunnydale with department heads - SFGate

Before Hunter's View in HP was torn down a few years ago it was also rated as one of the worst projects in the country.

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex - SFGate

Many of the notorious scary/poorly maintained projects in cities like Baltimore and Chicago have been torn down years ago. Most of the ugly PJ's like Sunnydale, Oakdale and Randolph were built only to temporarily house Blacks during 1940's and are still standing and inhabited by poor people. These project buildings are shoddy with boarded up windows and look like they are being held together with stale bubblegum and chickenwire. Most projects in NYC look much better maintained than SF projects. Also, most NYC projects are tall and tough buildings made of brick without the fire hazard of dozens of boarded up windows and don't look like they are going to completely crumble to the ground in a few years like most SF PJ's.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-21-2011 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,881,576 times
^I disagree about Oakland's being any better though. They LOOK nicer because most of them were recently redone (65 ville, Mohr 1, etc). However, they are all equally as bad if not worse than SF's; The 65 ville and ACORN come to mind immediately. The ACORN towers are the only high rise projects still standing in the bay and I believe in the entire state. Here's two pictures of the high rises I took yesterday:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1374/dsc02872si.jpg (broken link)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1226/dsc02882gr.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 PM

423 posts, read 463,451 times
D.C. only has a few high rise projects left. They tore down most of them because of the drugs and crime. This year they are gonna tear down Barry Farms and Sursum Corda, DC's most infamous projects. But with hoods like Lench Mob still out I still say D.C. is worst than any other city except New Orleans. Forget looks D.C. dudes kill over the smallest things.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
As a San Francisco native I agree that public housing in SF is among the worst in the country. However, people who aren't from the Bay aren't familiar with the ugly impoverished side of a city which is often applauded as the most beautiful city in America. A lot of people who've never lived in the Bay refuse to beleive that the projects of SF are much more neglected, isolated and full of out-of-control crime than the PJ's in stereotypically "harder" cities. Outsiders believe that SF is a tourist/yuppie/flaming homosexual's paradise free of extreme blight. This is far from being true. The projects in Hunter's Point look like a concentration camp or prison facility in a third world country. The projects in SF make most of the jects in Oakland look nice and livable. Not to mention most of SF's homicides are concentrated in the areas in and or near the projects. Hunter's Point is only 5% of SF but accounts for 20-30% of all of The City's homicides every year. The projects in SF look terrible. SF projects are so bad because they are extremely remote and tucked away from tourists and rich people. Not all Cali ghettos look nice with single family homes and huge front lawns and driveways like places in like Compton. Also, the projects in Hunter's Point are right near the most polluted toxic dump on the entire West Coast. Non-coincidentally, Hunter's Point has the highest infant mortality rate in California as well as above average rates of cancer.

712 Missouri St San Francisco - Google Maps

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

Sunnydale has been rated as one of the worst housing PJ's in the nation for years.

Life at the bottom: S.F.'s Sunnydale project - SFGate

Newsom tours Sunnydale with department heads - SFGate

Before Hunter's View in HP was torn down a few years ago it was also rated as one of the worst projects in the country.

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex - SFGate

Many of the notorious scary/poorly maintained projects in cities like Baltimore and Chicago have been torn down years ago. Most of the ugly PJ's like Sunnydale, Oakdale and Randolph were built only to temporarily house Blacks during 1940's and are still standing and inhabited by poor people. These project buildings are shoddy with boarded up windows and look like they are being held together with stale bubblegum and chickenwire. Most projects in NYC look much better maintained than SF projects. Also, most NYC projects are tall and tough buildings made of brick without the fire hazard of dozens of boarded up windows and don't look like they are going to completely crumble to the ground in a few years like most SF PJ's.
well then upgrade to the brick like nyc/jersey lol.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,359,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^I disagree about Oakland's being any better though. They LOOK nicer because most of them were recently redone (65 ville, Mohr 1, etc). However, they are all equally as bad if not worse than SF's; The 65 ville and ACORN come to mind immediately. The ACORN towers are the only high rise projects still standing in the bay and I believe in the entire state. Here's two pictures of the high rises I took yesterday:

sad thing s that these buildings look like condos smh lol.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:18 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,376,601 times
I've heard Baltimore has some very poor public housing projects.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
well then upgrade to the brick like nyc/jersey lol.
San Francisco public housing authority sucks for a reason. You have to realize that the projects are so bad in SF is because the city doesn't care about poor people. As long as those dirty dilapidated projects are out of sight of tourists and well off folks, it doesn't matter. SF is barely 5% Black, but the projects are predominantly Black. The worst projects of SF are the City's dirty secret. San Francisco has wanted Blacks to leave since the 50's which is the reason why they haven't been maintaining the projects. Although SF portrays itself to be the most forward liberal thinking city in the nation, the people that run the city are obviously closet racists that don't want Blacks in the city of San Francisco unless they are completely Whitewashed buppies from elsewhere. Rather sad. What most outsiders do not know is that Blacks in SF are some of the worst off folks in the entire country. SF has one of the highest homicide rates for Blacks in the nation. Blacks are almost twice as likely to get murdered in SF than Oakland.

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-22-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
^I disagree about Oakland's being any better though. They LOOK nicer because most of them were recently redone (65 ville, Mohr 1, etc).
You might be right. However, you were the first person on this thread to admit that San Francisco public housing is glaringly awful. It seems like SF doesn't take the action to even re-develop their PJ's, unlike Oakland. Sunnydale is worse than it was in the 90's because the buildings HAVEN'T been renovated. Sunnydale and Randolph looked f*cked up when I was a kid and I'm damn near 30! The inhabitants of Sunnydale will also murder an out of towner on sight! This has been well-documented by local Bay Area news. A shoddy project building with boarded up windows built in the 40's sitting on the most toxic waste site on the West Coast doesn't compare to freshly renovated projects full of criminals in Oakland. The fact that those projects in Oakland have been redeveloped automatically makes them more livable than the PJ's in SF that are run-down and damn near 100 years old. If you've ever lived in public housing or known anybody who has, you know that living in a run-down ancient building is MUCH worse than living in a brand new building. Many of the poor invisible people in the PJ's in SF can't get the housing authority to fix a broken light in the hallway that has been burnt out for 10 years. But they are giving you guys brand new projects across the water in Oakland, whereas SF projects smell like urine. There is no comparison in that department. Crime may be equal or greater in some of Oakland's projects, but the overall quality of life is obviously lower in SF's 1940's baracks. You have to realize that the people running the public housing authority have much less vested interest in the lives of poor people in SF than they do in Oakland. Poor people and Black people are an abused bastard red-headed stepchild hidden in the attic in SF.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-22-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or