U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is worst
Washington, D.C. 29 11.42%
New York City 62 24.41%
Chicago 120 47.24%
Los Angeles 18 7.09%
Atlanta 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,364,641 times
Reputation: 1567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
San Francisco public housing authority sucks for a reason. You have to realize that the projects are so bad in SF is because the city doesn't care about poor people. As long as those dirty dilapidated projects are out of sight of tourists and well off folks, it doesn't matter. SF is barely 5% Black, but the projects are predominantly Black. The worst projects of SF are the City's dirty secret. San Francisco has wanted Blacks to leave since the 50's which is the reason why they haven't been maintaining the projects. Although SF portrays itself to be the most forward liberal thinking city in the nation, the people that run the city are obviously clost racists that don't want Blacks in the city of San Francisco unless they are completely Whitewashed buppies from elsewhere. Rather sad. What most outsiders do not know is that Blacks in SF are some of the worst of in the entire country. SF has one of the highest homicide rates for Blacks in the entire country. Blacks are almost twice as likely to get murdered in SF than Oakland.

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

you see when i see links like that it just makes me not believe in crime rates for cities overall.

many people probably think Oakland is worse for African Americans then sf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 PM
 
902 posts, read 2,370,066 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^I disagree about Oakland's being any better though. They LOOK nicer because most of them were recently redone (65 ville, Mohr 1, etc). However, they are all equally as bad if not worse than SF's; The 65 ville and ACORN come to mind immediately. The ACORN towers are the only high rise projects still standing in the bay and I believe in the entire state. Here's two pictures of the high rises I took yesterday:



Actually there are still high-rise projects standing in Marin City (Marin County) to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,886,267 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
You might be right. However, you were the first person on this thread to admit that San Francisco public housing is glaringly awful. It seems like SF doesn't take the action to even re-develop their PJ's, unlike Oakland. Sunnydale is worse than it was in the 90's because the buildings HAVEN'T been renovated. Sunnydale and Randolph looked f*cked up when I was a kid and I'm damn near 30! A shoddy project building with boarded up windows built in the 40's sitting on the most toxic waste site on the West Coast doesn't compare to freshly renovated projects full of criminals in Oakland. The fact that those projects in Oakland have been redeveloped automatically makes them more livable than the PJ's in SF that are run-down and damn near 100 years old. If you've ever lived in public housing or known anybody who has, you know that living in a run-down ancient building is MUCH worse than living in a brand new building. Many of poor invisible people in the PJ's in SF can't get the housing authority to fix a broken light in the hallway that has been burnt out for 10 years. But they are giving you guys brand new projects across the water in Oakland. There is no comparison in that department. Crime may be equal or greater in some of Oakland's projects, but the overall quality of life is obviously lower in SF's 1940's baracks. You have to realize that the people running the public housing authority have much less vested interest in the lives of poor people in SF than they do in Oakland. Poor people and Black people are an abused bastard red-headed stepchild hidden in the attic in SF.

I think the main difference is that Oakland has an overly bad media reputation to shake off where as SF gets this unrealistic Disney image that puts most people into shock when they find out that it's not true. There was just someone in the murders 2011 thread that was shocked to find out that SF's murder rate is on par with Philly so far this year.


And the 65/69 ville used to be equally terrible as the SF projects you and I mentioned... here's what they used to look like (warning, there's coarse language):



here's what they look like now (warning, there's coarse language):




The 69 Ville got demolished and the 65 ville, though remodeled, is still violent as ever. I wouldn't want to be living in Oakland's projects no matter how much they renovated them...


And SF does renovate them occasionally. They tore down the VGs back in 04 and put in much nicer units... its still the hood though.


And yea I used to know someone who lived in El Pueblo... now THAT'S a ****ty project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,886,267 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Actually there are still high-rise projects standing in Marin City (Marin County) to this day.

Yeah you're right my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,364,641 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I think the main difference is that Oakland has an overly bad media reputation to shake off where as SF gets this unrealistic Disney image that puts most people into shock when they find out that it's not true. There was just someone in the murders 2011 thread that was shocked to find out that SF's murder rate is on par with Philly so far this year.


And the 65/69 ville used to be equally terrible as the SF projects you and I mentioned... here's what they used to look like (warning, there's coarse language):



here's what they look like now (warning, there's coarse language):




The 69 Ville got demolished and the 65 ville, though remodeled, is still violent as ever. I wouldn't want to be living in Oakland's projects no matter how much they renovated them...


And SF does renovate them occasionally. They tore down the VGs back in 04 and put in much nicer units... its still the hood though.


And yea I used to know someone who lived in El Pueblo... now THAT'S a ****ty project.
well in reality on a over the year basis SF murder rate isn't close to philly. The year just started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
 
48 posts, read 137,374 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i voted for chicago. failed housing projects and most of them have horibble history.

nyc has some bad projects to but at the same time nyc has millions of housing projects and their diverse in a way because some are very safe and nice while others are very rotten with crime and ghetto to the full power.

In my opinion i would say the Bronx, brooklyn, and far rockaway holds the majority of nyc gritty housing projects.
Maybe before, most of the worst Chicago projects were torn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,886,267 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
well in reality on a over the year basis SF murder rate isn't close to philly. The year just started.

Yea I know that. My point was that the person didn't know that SF experienced murders at all. He/she thought it was a giant Disneyland like most people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,886,267 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
sad thing s that these buildings look like condos smh lol.

Everything on the west coast is newer... 100 years from now, these buildings will look like ancient history too lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,364,641 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Everything on the west coast is newer... 100 years from now, these buildings will look like ancient history too lol.
how long have those buildings been their?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,293 posts, read 3,974,330 times
Reputation: 5900
I wouldda voted Chicago, but I really
don't know anything about the others.
It was a wise decision not to reopen
several projects in New Orleans after Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top