U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,171,760 times
Reputation: 940

Advertisements

I only did the numbers for the top 25 MSA's by population (but could not find numbers for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, or Orlando so I went on to the next 3)

By persons obtaining legal resident status:

1. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA - 1,643,074
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA - 1,046,974
3. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL - 719,037
4. Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI - 416,098
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 387,488
6. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA - 347,620
7. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX - 283,519
8. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 243,200
9. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH - 239,117
10. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 188,519
11. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA - 183,512
12. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 170,447
13. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA - 166,005
14. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 161,991
15. Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI - 129,802
16. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 121,427
17. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 114,088
18. Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA - 100,126
19. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 91,085
20. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA - 79,267
21. Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO - 76,131
22. Baltimore-Towson, MD - 66,531
23. Saint Louis, MO-IL - 42,530
24. San Antonio, TX - 41,704
25. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH - 35,054

From Department of Homeland Security (Table 5)

Some observations:

- NYC clear leader in new legal immigrants
- Goooo California! All 3 major CA cities make top 10
- Even during the height of the recession ('08-'09) Los Angeles still added more than twice the number of new immigrants as Chicago
- Phoenix is surprisingly low considering the growth its had this past decade
- Portland ahead of Denver, Houston ahead of Dallas even though DFW grew more in population overall in the same period, Miami well ahead of Chicago

Any other thoughts/observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,171,760 times
Reputation: 940
Selected states (Table 4)

U.S. Total: 10,299,430

State/total/% of U.S. total

California - 2,408,717 - 23.4% almost 1 in 4
New York - 1,274,551 - 12.4%
Florida - 1,083,659 - 10.5%
Texas - 830,741 - 8.1%
Illinois - 441,993 - 4.3%
Massachusetts - 295,162 - 2.9%
Virginia - 269,243 - 2.6%
Georgia - 229,295 - 2.2%
Washington - 228,218 - 2.2%
Pennsylvania - 217,559 - 2.1%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 AM
 
Location: New York, N.Y.
200 posts, read 242,250 times
Reputation: 237
Top Ten Groups in NYC area (2009) - overwhelmingly China, South Asia, and the Caribbean:

Dominican Republic - 30,228
China - 21,025
India - 9,867
Bangladesh - 9,195
Jamaica - 7,807
Ecuador - 6,552
Colombia - 5,945
Haiti - 5,729
Pakistan, 5,588
Guyana - 4,732
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,171,760 times
Reputation: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Top Ten Groups in NYC area (2009) - overwhelmingly China, South Asia, and the Caribbean:

Dominican Republic - 30,228
China - 21,025
India - 9,867
Bangladesh - 9,195
Jamaica - 7,807
Ecuador - 6,552
Colombia - 5,945
Haiti - 5,729
Pakistan, 5,588
Guyana - 4,732
Still pretty diverse though

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA: (Total 97,539)

Majority Mexico/Central America and East Asia

1. Mexico - 21,811
2. Philippines - 9,946
3. Iran - 8,209
4. China - 7,219
5. South Korea - 6,208
6. Vietnam - 4,998
7. El Salvador - 4,280
8. Guatemala - 2,801
9. Armenia - 2,399
10. India - 2,206

State of California: (Total 227,876)

Majority Mexico/Central America and East Asia

1. Mexico - 59,814
2. Philippines - 24,937
3. China - 17,139
4. India - 12,826
5. Iran - 11,227
6. Vietnam - 10,280
7. South Korea - 8,729
8. El Salvador - 6,509
9. Guatemala - 4,282
10. Taiwan - 3,749

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 01-17-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,620,934 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Selected states (Table 4)

U.S. Total: 10,299,430

State/total/% of U.S. total

California - 2,408,717 - 23.4% almost 1 in 4
New York - 1,274,551 - 12.4%
Florida - 1,083,659 - 10.5%
Texas - 830,741 - 8.1%
Illinois - 441,993 - 4.3%
Massachusetts - 295,162 - 2.9%
Virginia - 269,243 - 2.6%
Georgia - 229,295 - 2.2%
Washington - 228,218 - 2.2%
Pennsylvania - 217,559 - 2.1%
I think you forgot to include NJ.

NJ has about as many immigrants as Illinois, and far more than Mass, Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Pennsylvania etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,171,760 times
Reputation: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I think you forgot to include NJ.

NJ has about as many immigrants as Illinois, and far more than Mass, Georgia, Virginia, Washington, Pennsylvania etc.
Good call,

New Jersey - 539,058 - 5.2% of US total

Impressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Southwest Michigan/Miami Beach Miami
1,834 posts, read 2,631,982 times
Reputation: 946
Not surprised with NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 3,138,283 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
- Phoenix is surprisingly low considering the growth its had this past decade
I'd guess that Phoenix is more of a destination for internal migration; It's not that well known internationally (yet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Tower of Heaven
4,023 posts, read 6,269,475 times
Reputation: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I only did the numbers for the top 25 MSA's by population (but could not find numbers for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, or Orlando so I went on to the next 3)

By persons obtaining legal resident status:

1. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA - 1,643,074
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA - 1,046,974
3. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL - 719,037
4. Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI - 416,098
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 387,488
6. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA - 347,620
7. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX - 283,519
8. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 243,200
9. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH - 239,117
10. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 188,519
11. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA - 183,512
12. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 170,447
13. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA - 166,005
14. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 161,991
15. Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI - 129,802
16. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 121,427
17. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 114,088
18. Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Roseville, CA - 100,126
19. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 91,085
20. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA - 79,267
21. Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO - 76,131
22. Baltimore-Towson, MD - 66,531
23. Saint Louis, MO-IL - 42,530
24. San Antonio, TX - 41,704
25. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH - 35,054

From Department of Homeland Security (Table 5)

Some observations:

- NYC clear leader in new legal immigrants
- Goooo California! All 3 major CA cities make top 10
- Even during the height of the recession ('08-'09) Los Angeles still added more than twice the number of new immigrants as Chicago
- Phoenix is surprisingly low considering the growth its had this past decade
- Portland ahead of Denver, Houston ahead of Dallas even though DFW grew more in population overall in the same period, Miami well ahead of Chicago

Any other thoughts/observations?
Miami 3rd is pretty impressive.But Houston metro will surpass Chicago metro this decade, since some years Houston metro surpasses Chicago metro for immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,275,365 times
Reputation: 7567
pfffft, legal immigration is so yesterday. Illegal immigration is the style of the day. California wins either way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top