U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,082,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I have been up there and seen the segregation that goes on. Anyways not saying it doesn't exist up there but am saying it is so rare compared to other areas.
Well whatever, your singular experiences don't speak for a region and not more against my whole life there. It's a rarer pairing, sure, but it happens, just like any other. I'm sorry if you had bad experiences up here but don't let them color your whole image of such a large and varied place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 03:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,155,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Well whatever, your singular experiences don't speak for a region and not more against my whole life there. It's a rarer pairing, sure, but it happens, just like any other. I'm sorry if you had bad experiences up here but don't let them color your whole image of such a large and varied place.
Funny coming from you, since that's what you seem to do about California in almost every single post of yours

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,203,334 times
^^ Now now guys, cant we all get along?

Quality of life- Subjective

Where I would rather live- Right where I want to be

Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Funny coming from you, since that's what you seem to do about California in almost every single post of yours
My sarcasm detector doesn't work online. I've never been to California and I've never commented on what I think life is like there except to say that it's not so different than anywhere else, specifically in the last "racism thread". I do comment on economy, population figures or schools and stuff, but that's generally quantifiable stuff with data out there for everyone to see. If you're being serious look through my 800 posts and show me where I've offended, if you're being sarcastic then good show lol.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:42 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,203,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
look through my 800 posts
869 posts you mean.

8-69!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,268,204 times
Yikes... I was afraid I'd be opening up a bag of issues.... I'm going to make one or two comments based what everyone is saying... then I'm going to get back to my original argument (and original topic). I think my point was missed by the first few replies about race relations were made.

First, don't for a second make the false assumption that all of the current skinhead, KKK groups are all in the south. Skinheads are actually more rare here if anything. The KKK was a big happening in our past, but that organization actually was very sizable throughout the country (especially in rural areas). Don't fall into the trap of following southern stereotypes. We have actually come a long way... and in many ways further than most places. We are are actually alot more integrated than other parts of the country and are rapidly building a black middle class.

But back to my original point... because slavery happened here... This is where the poor, ill-educate descendents of slaves mainly ended up. Yes, many migrated to northern cities to find work, but many more stayed behind in the rural south. Just look at the population demographics of the south. It gets even more apparent when you look at map of where people area. The rural areas near the Mississippi R. and the Fall line is where the largest slave holding plantations were. It is also where the largest black populations exist today. This presents two main problems. It is very hard to educate that population. Parents can't help their children much when they didn't receive a great education themselves. This will become less of a problem over time, but it is going to take generations for the effects to go away. The other issue is opportunity in these areas is extremely limited. Most are poorly educated and don't have as much money to or know how to uproot their current lives to seek better opportunities.

So the argument wasn't to say there isn't segregation or racial problems elsewhere (by all means there are... and in some cases they have a further way to go), but we have higher numbers to try to educate/reintegrate into an established, happy, and functioning society. It is enough to skew any of our statistic numbers for education, wealth, etc... 5-10%.

Now this isn't to say we aren't responsible for overcoming these problems...We are... but it does lead me to say two things... 1) We have more of an uphill battle at overcoming some problems and 2) there are actually many places throughout the south where you can get an excellent education.

The original question was why northern states out perform us.... This isn't an excuse, but it is in large part...why.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

^^
*Posts* Danny lol

870 now, though this one will probably be deleted.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM

6,272 posts, read 15,526,617 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen an Indian (India) guy in the northeast engage in an interracial relationship with a White girl or Latina? Let me answer that for you, no you haven't.

Down south I see it everyday.

Umm, yes I see it every day here in NJ (on the train, on the street, in a restaurant, even at work). It's really not as unusual as you suggest. Come for a visit and look around.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM

803 posts, read 951,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Umm, yes I see it every day here in NJ (on the train, on the street, in a restaurant, even at work). It's really not as unusual as you suggest. Come for a visit and look around.
WILL visit again. Now back to the topic.

So basically, money makes the world go round when it comes to education right?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM

3,244 posts, read 3,486,019 times
Quote:
I have been up there and seen the segregation that goes on. Anyways not saying it doesn't exist up there but am saying it is so rare compared to other areas.
You haven't been up North, in fact you haven't been North of DC your entire life, I bet $1mil on that. Your notions of the Northeast are on the level of 5 year old child who thinks polar bears walk the streets of Anchorage, and alligators crawl on the streets of Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or