U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,114,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
WILL visit again. Now back to the topic.So basically, money makes the world go round when it comes to education right?
I'd say so I guess, but not because more taxes automatically produce better results or any at all sometimes. Like BigCityDreamer said, "The northeastern U.S. has a lot of wealthy households (comparatively speaking). Wealthy households make up wealthy communities. Wealthy communities have much better school systems - meaning that the children there perform better and are smarter. None of this should be surprising." That's one way to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM

803 posts, read 975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Umm, yes I see it every day here in NJ (on the train, on the street, in a restaurant, even at work). It's really not as unusual as you suggest. Come for a visit and look around.
but if what you said is true than the northeast sounds like

Old 01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You haven't been up North, in fact you haven't been North of DC your entire life, I bet $1mil on that. Your notions of the Northeast are on the level of 5 year old child who thinks polar bears walk the streets of Anchorage, and alligators crawl on the streets of Miami.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:29 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,298,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You live out of the book and we live by life experiences. Our children have not been brainwashed to the correct answer. They are taught to think for themselves. I would rather have a person who can think for himself than have one that makes a high score on some prejudiced test.
Lol...

"We don't excel in a certain area, so why don't we just say the people who do excel aren't able to think for themselves! We'll also pretend we don't want to embrace education! Ya that'll work!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You have lost the ability to think for yourself and you are suggesting that a person who still has a functioning brain should wise up. You are one step from communism.
You should be in politics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This doesn't make sense considering that tests are administered by the states themselves. So, being "brainwashed" doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't get how people in the North don't think for themselves or don't have "real" life experiences.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...you're bringing "facts" to this argument. "Facts" of course being those biased things being which give the projection that educated people are...um...educated. You've been brainwashed.

The thing that frustrates me about NCN's posts when involving North vs South threads: whenever the North is better at something (in this case education), it's not because they may be doing something right...it's because the South just doesn't care.

The North does some things better than the South. The South does some things better than the North. Why can't some people admit that?

Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM

6,376 posts, read 15,810,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
but if what you said is true than the northeast sounds like
LOL!

I've seen a few of your posts on this topic. I don't know if a sorority house full of Latina women will fall into your lap the moment you arrive at Newark Airport, but such a "pairing" is possible, and I see them on the regular (although it's not like I'm always looking to see "who is with who").

Anyway, back on topic of education. I don't know that "money" is the only answer here. I'm sure it's a big factor, but I think another is class size and school size. Schools in NJ tend to be smaller. Most kids I know who went to high school in NJ only had 100 kids in their graduating class. I went to high school in the south and had more than 500 kids in my graduating class. And there were many schools twice as large. I haven't seen any studies nor conducted any, but it would be my hypothesis, that a more "intimate" environment fosters a more productive learning environment for kids. All of the faculty know all of the students, fewer kids "getting lost" or "falling through the cracks," etc. I'd assume that would help kids do better, also assuming there's enough faculty to keep class sizes small, and funding for programs, etc.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 PM

21,159 posts, read 23,380,852 times
Lets just another link from Newsweek for the Best High Schools. Only ONE northern HS made the top twenty list.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
LOL!

I've seen a few of your posts on this topic. I don't know if a sorority house full of Latina women will fall into your lap the moment you arrive at Newark Airport, but such a "pairing" is possible, and I see them on the regular (although it's not like I'm always looking to see "who is with who").

Anyway, back on topic of education. I don't know that "money" is the only answer here. I'm sure it's a big factor, but I think another is class size and school size. Schools in NJ tend to be smaller. Most kids I know who went to high school in NJ only had 100 kids in their graduating class. I went to high school in the south and had more than 500 kids in my graduating class. And there were many schools twice as large. I haven't seen any studies nor conducted any, but it would be my hypothesis, that a more "intimate" environment fosters a more productive learning environment for kids. All of the faculty know all of the students, fewer kids "getting lost" or "falling through the cracks," etc. I'd assume that would help kids do better, also assuming there's enough faculty to keep class sizes small, and funding for programs, etc.
Meh, my school had like 70 kids in its graduating class but still most kids did not go to the top brand name schools.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
My sarcasm detector doesn't work online. I've never been to California and I've never commented on what I think life is like there except to say that it's not so different than anywhere else, specifically in the last "racism thread". I do comment on economy, population figures or schools and stuff, but that's generally quantifiable stuff with data out there for everyone to see. If you're being serious look through my 800 posts and show me where I've offended, if you're being sarcastic then good show lol.
I don't want to go through 870 posts, but I've noticed you have a tendency to throw in the word "California" at every single point that you can, as if its a bad thing we're part of the United States.

In this thread alone, you were the FIRST poster to mention CA being a high tax state (news flash: it's not. At least, not statistically more high tax than the national average. The tax rate has been the same here since 1978)

For a place that you've never been, you seem to have a complex regarding us.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=26612269

78 posts for a place you've never been, or 1 in every 11 posts you've made on CD.

Sorry for the OT: I just had to call this one out.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:40 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,114,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I don't want to go through 870 posts, but I've noticed you have a tendency to throw in the word "California" at every single point that you can, as if its a bad thing we're part of the United States.

In this thread alone, you were the FIRST poster to mention CA being a high tax state (news flash: it's not. At least, not statistically more high tax than the national average. The tax rate has been the same here since 1978)

For a place that you've never been, you seem to have a complex regarding us.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=26612269

78 posts for a place you've never been, or 1 in every 11 posts you've made on CD.

Sorry for the OT: I just had to call this one out.
I was thinking more cause it's a blue state and they're known for taxes, and also because people always mention the education system being lower than it used to be.

Check how many of those posts were lists with other states which I make alot, and how many are comparing quantifiable things, some of those aren't even me but just when it was said in something I quoted, there aren't any where I talk about what I think life is like there. Also check how many times I mention New York, Hartford, CT, and Jersey and other places. California's the biggest state in the country and it comes up in alot of posts, why should it be a surprise we discuss it. Also check how many times I mention the name without actually saying anything about the state in particular in that post, it comes up alot.

Anyway, you were still wrong, find me a post where I talked about what I think life is like in CA or anything that isn't already discussed like education and economy. You'll notice I don't talk about life in more than a few states, the ones I lived in, I don't talk too far beyond what I know. And show me where I ever acted as some place didn't belong in the US, find all the ones where I talk about how we belong together...

Btw, you mentioned New York 243 or one out of every 12 times of your posts on CD, excuse my math. Alot for a place you lived in for a short time when you were younger. Do you have a complex? No, it just comes up, DM me next time you wanna "call me out"...

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 01-22-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I was thinking more cause it's a blue state and they're known for taxes, and also because people always mention the education system being lower than it used to be.
So you were talking without knowing the situation on the ground. Isn't that the essence of what a "baseless assumption" is? You didn't even bother to look how the tax rates in the Northeast vs. California match up, but want to make the connective assumption anyways.

Quote:
Check how many of those posts were lists with other states which I make alot, and how many are comparing quantifiable things, there aren't any where I talk about what I think life is like there. Also check how many times I mention New York, Hartford, CT, and Jersey and other places. California's the biggest state in the country and it comes up in alot of posts, why should it be a surprise we discuss it. Also check how many times I mention the name without actually saying anything about the state in particular in that post, it comes up alot.
Again, using this thread as an example, you opened it up as part of the conversation. If you don't want to be called out, then don't talk about it. We've been down this road too many times.

Quote:
Anyway, you were still wrong, find me a post where I talked about what I think life is like in CA or anything that isn't already discussed like education and economy. You'll notice I don't talk about life in more than a few states, the ones I lived in, I don't talk too far beyond what I know. And show me where I ever acted as some place didn't belong in the US, find all the ones where I talk about how we belong together...
See above.

I don't want to drag this out for too long, since it is off topic for this thread. All I am saying is that if you want someone to not make assumptions about where you live, then don't make assumptions about places where other people live based on some hastily thrown out statistics without interpretation.

California is ranked 45th in percentage of people who are HS graduates, but also ranked 12th in percentage with those who have bachelor's degrees and above, so there's more going on here than meets the eye.

Quote:
Btw, you mentioned New York 243 or one out of every 12 times of your posts on CD, excuse my math. Alot for a place you lived in for a short time when you were younger. Do you have a complex? No, it just comes up, DM me next time you wanna "call me out"...
Yeah, since around maybe 60 of those times is just me writing down "New York" and adding some statistic to it. I only gave my opinion maybe one or two times on the place aside from what I write about statistically. Not exactly the same as what you did here. And even so, my year in New York is still way more experience than what you've had in California.

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 01-22-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or