U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM

864 posts, read 869,566 times

Advertisements

Ugh, the bottom line is your child's test scores and educated are dependent on YOU the parent no matter what school a child goes too. A child will preform good and get a good education in any system with parents who truly give a damn and install a will and passion to learn at a young age. The thing is, often kids whos parents do care often try to put their kids in high performing schools and or can afford private school. The south is a big place with lots of large schools districts so you can't make a blanket statement about them and it is nearly impossible to pin point because of the vastness of the region and larger districts which can have both good and bad schools mixed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 AM

4,896 posts, read 12,347,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post

Why is it that states up North rank so high in terms of education (high school mainly) compared to states elsewhere, what makes them so hood?
For me it all comes down to the strong root system especially in the Northeast.

Of the top 11 states in education 8 are original colonies. There is a lineage of professional diversity which is based around a strong educational system which has been passed down for centuries.

Successful families making well above median incomes sending their kids to the top schools so they can become successful, and the cycle keeps repeating itself.

Oh and having the Capitol, and the banking center of the world nearby helps as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

803 posts, read 975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
It is hard to compare regions. Each state have their own criteria for each grade. In any region, in any state, you have good and bad school districts. It all depends in which district you live, which schools you attend, and what effort you put in your education.
True.

I will give an example of when I went to middle school in GA. I lived in the second biggest city there and while one county had the dumbest kids (not to mean stupid but uneducated thugs basically), the other had future Harvard and MIT students (was just full of em).

Old 02-17-2019, 08:14 PM

1,145 posts, read 351,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I don't think it's the high taxes. If that were true then California's education system wouldn't be ranked so low. Education isn't one of those problems you can make better just by throwing more money at it, not that it can't help if used correctly to buy like more books and computers for kids or for after school programs and programs for fast and slow kids who don't fit into a normal classroom, but money won't make a worse teacher better or stupid kids smarter. Even with all that stuff money can buy some schools turn out dumb kids anyway, and a teacher with little resources could produce better students. I guess it could have something to do with the quality of staff, if just a lil bit though, cause with thousands of teachers in both regions it's pretty ridiculous to imagine the bulk of one would be worse than other. So yeah, I don't know.
The main reason why California's educational system is ranked low is because we have so many illegal immigrants, and so many immigrants don't bother to assimilate and learn English, so their kids are stuck in ESL classes and can't perform as well as English speaking students.

The Northeast has less illegal immigration, and that alone helps a ton.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM

119 posts, read 147,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I want the people who say " High taxes mean better schools" to explain California.

Also, anybody who thinks that East Coast has little racism with divided up neighborhoods and hundreds of isolated cases of hate is ignorant at best and a lier at worst.
What’s to explain? California has the highest immigrant population in the country if not the world, where English is not many peoples' first language which explains their low ranking compared to traditionally whiter, less culturally diverse states where English isn’t a barrier.

And taxes do give California better schools. But it’s strictly in the higher education sector, and it’s arguably the top state when it comes to higher education. The UC system is among the most prestigious public systems in the world (Berkeley, UCLA, UCI, UCSF, UCSD etc) and then you have prestigious private schools and liberal arts that are still subsidized by state taxes (Stanford, CalTech, USC, Pomona, Claremont Colleges, Pitzer, Occidental, Harvey Mudd).

Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,011,254 times
They allocate very little money into extracurricular and sports than so southern and western schools. More of a strictly academic approach.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM

13,156 posts, read 21,461,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Ugh, the bottom line is your child's test scores and educated are dependent on YOU the parent no matter what school a child goes too. A child will preform good and get a good education in any system with parents who truly give a damn and install a will and passion to learn at a young age. The thing is, often kids whos parents do care often try to put their kids in high performing schools and or can afford private school. The south is a big place with lots of large schools districts so you can't make a blanket statement about them and it is nearly impossible to pin point because of the vastness of the region and larger districts which can have both good and bad schools mixed in.
This.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:59 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,247,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
High taxes - you get what you pay for.
Yep. Simple but an ubiquitous truth.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

233 posts, read 69,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep. Simple but an ubiquitous truth.
I know VA and NC are pretty good states for education. I can't speak for the rest of the south but those two states are southern states with east coast intellect.

Old Today, 12:02 AM

6,908 posts, read 9,619,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
High taxes - you get what you pay for.
That is a factor but I do not think it is the only reason. A lot of money is thrown at schools here in the Northeast and much of it wasted. Much of its really not for educating the children. Here in New York for instance, we have overpaid school superintendents who make more then the President of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or