Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
By choice? So if a Black person wanted to live in an all White neighborhood up north you are telling me they wouldn't be bothered about it!?

Also down south I have seen 10x more integration than I could ever see up North. It is common to see Black and White couples and it is common for all ethnic groups to hang out with each other without there being much conflict.
To the first question, absolutely. I've been there and done that. That's not rare at all.

Also, don't get it twisted about the South. It depends on where you are in the region and a lot of the interracial couples down there are transplants or military related too. You see just as many in the North, if not more so if count those that aren't married. Their schools are also more integrated due to the countywide school systems, whereas the districts here are more community oriented. So, it depends on the character of the community in terms of integration and/or diversity.

You also have to look at the percentages of groups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
No, probably not. Especially not the majority.

Well, all I have to say about that is Jim Crow was alive and well down south 50 years ago. Things are changing in the south and that's great. But, saying that racism is more prevalent in the north and especially the northeast is just flat-out ignorant.
How is it ignorant? I find it reasonable to say that. Sean Bell shooting? Attacks on Indians in some Northern States due to people mistaking them for terrorists? New Jersey Walmart incident?

Let us not forget the Philadelphia swimming pool incident where a group of Black kids (they were a part of this small kids swimming program) were forced to leave a swimming pool in a mostly White area.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
Lets not completely put the south down now,
I'm not. I'm making a general point. Surely you can see the point about the individualism, no?

Quote:
the Private schools there produce better kids than most schools up north
Yeah, right. I suppose you have something to back up that claim as well?

Quote:
and the suburban public schools down south produce some extremely bright kids as well.
I never said they didn't. The stats point to the northern educational systems producing a much higher percentage of them.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Lets not completely put the south down now, the Private schools there produce better kids than most schools up north and the suburban public schools down south produce some extremely bright kids as well.
You are comparing apples to oranges by bringing in their private schools to Northern public schools and even that could be debateable, let alone mentioning Northern private schools. Yes, there are good Southern public school districts, but you posted the information. I know of urban public magnet schools in the North that are some of the "best" public schools in the nation too.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
The northeastern U.S. has a lot of wealthy households (comparatively speaking). Wealthy households make up wealthy communities. Wealthy communities have much better school systems - meaning that the children there perform better and are smarter. None of this should be surprising.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:
How is it ignorant? I find it reasonable to say that. Sean Bell shooting? Attacks on Indians in some Northern States due to people mistaking them for terrorists? New Jersey Walmart incident? Let us not forget the Philadelphia swimming pool incident where a group of Black kids (they were a part of this small kids swimming program) were forced to leave a swimming pool in a mostly White area.
It's ignorant because, in the north, any of the evidence you can come up with is anecdotal. In the south, racism was legislated. In 1964, the civil rights act had to be enacted to begin to break down this legislation. Also, where do 99% of the organized "white power" establishments like the skinheads and the KKK manifest themselves? In the south. Why? Because, they are largely accepted as legitimate. In the north, they would be run out of town on a rail.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
You live out of the book and we live by life experiences. Our children have not been brainwashed to the correct answer. They are taught to think for themselves. I would rather have a person who can think for himself than have one that makes a high score on some prejudiced test.
This doesn't make sense considering that tests are administered by the states themselves. So, being "brainwashed" doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't get how people in the North don't think for themselves or don't have "real" life experiences.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
No, probably not. Especially not the majority.

Well, all I have to say about that is Jim Crow was alive and well down south 50 years ago. Things are changing in the south and that's great. But, saying that racism is more prevalent in the north and especially the northeast is just flat-out ignorant.
Pleeeease. Yes the south had Jim Crow Laws, but the north still has plenty of racial issues going on. You guys just love to sugercoat the truth about the north, but it's nowhere as progressive as you guys make it. Get over yourselves; you guys didn't have Jim Crow laws, but you didn't need them because minorities already knew there places up there.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Pleeeease. Yes the south had Jim Crow Laws, but the north still has plenty of racial issues going on. You guys just love to sugercoat the truth about the north, but it's nowhere as progressive as you guys make it. Get over yourselves; you guys didn't have Jim Crow laws, but you didn't need them because minorities already knew there places up there.
It's not so much that people of color knew their place, per se, but the dynamics are totally different because ethnicity is more of a factor than in the South. Yes, there were and are issues, don't get that wrong, but the dynamics are different due to history, housing patterns and laws.

To get back to the topic, economics does play a part as well, but valuing education is the key regardless of where you live. You can also find Northern HS's with high poverty that have high graduation rates too.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
By choice? So if a Black person wanted to live in an all White neighborhood up north you are telling me they wouldn't be bothered about it!?

Also down south I have seen 10x more integration than I could ever see up North. It is common to see Black and White couples and it is common for all ethnic groups to hang out with each other without there being much conflict.
What, what is this? Yeah none of that ever happens in the North... have you ever even been "up here"? You just described my whole life, all it was was mixing in and living among other racial and ethnic groups, it's no worse here than anywhere else. You can't just pick out a few random incidents out of the news as proof of the tendencies of 55 million people. Like we couldn't find a million stories about how racism is still "alive and well" in the south, but what is there like a 100 million people there? People on this site really need to stop taking single, isolated, or sensationalized incidents and using them as proof to project their ideas onto enormous groups of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City