Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM

864 posts, read 1,117,644 times

Advertisements

I want the people who say " High taxes mean better schools" to explain California.

Also, anybody who thinks that East Coast has little racism with divided up neighborhoods and hundreds of isolated cases of hate is ignorant at best and a lier at worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
No, probably not. Especially not the majority.

Well, all I have to say about that is Jim Crow was alive and well down south 50 years ago. Things are changing in the south and that's great. But, saying that racism is more prevalent in the north and especially the northeast is just flat-out ignorant.
When someone calls someone else ignorant you would think they might want to check some statistics so as to not embarrass themselves.

The majority of states that lead in hate crimes per capita are northern states while most southern states are at the bottom of the list.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It's ignorant because, in the north, any of the evidence you can come up with is anecdotal. In the south, racism was legislated. In 1964, the civil rights act had to be enacted to begin to break down this legislation. Also, where do 99% of the organized "white power" establishments like the skinheads and the KKK manifest themselves? In the south. Why? Because, they are largely accepted as legitimate. In the north, they would be run out of town on a rail.
Do you just spew this crap without doing any research at all?

No need to answer because had you done any research you would know you are completely wrong.

I'll add you to the list.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,582,346 times
Seriously, does this thread really have to devolve into a general North vs. South argument? Fact is, how a child fares educationally in this country largely correlates to the income and educational attainment of their parents, and the North has more high-income areas and attracts a more educated workforce. I'd say some of you are strongly overstating the cultural differences as factors. A child in Alabama has a better shot at getting a good education than a child in Connecticut if the the child in Alabama comes from a household with two college educated, professional parents, while the child from Connecticut lives with a single mom working a menial job.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM

803 posts, read 1,257,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
What, what is this? Yeah none of that ever happens in the North... have you ever even been "up here"? You just described my whole life, all it was was mixing in and living among other racial and ethnic groups, it's no worse here than anywhere else. You can't just pick out a few random incidents out of the news as proof of the tendencies of 55 million people. Like we couldn't find a million stories about how racism is still "alive and well" in the south, but what is there like a 100 million people there? People on this site really need to stop taking single, isolated, or sensationalized incidents and using them as proof to project their ideas onto enormous groups of people.
Have you ever seen an Indian (India) guy in the northeast engage in an interracial relationship with a White girl or Latina? Let me answer that for you, no you haven't.

Down south I see it everyday.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,506,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Have you ever seen an Indian (India) guy in the northeast engage in an interracial relationship with a White girl or Latina? Let me answer that for you, no you haven't.

Down south I see it everyday.
Umm as a matter of fact I actually have. You don't know anything about the Northeast, and you certainly don't know anything about me, what I grew up with, live with, or see.

I've lived in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts for a short time and still go to school there, and Connecticut. I've seen Indian with white and black and hispanic, red indian with white and hispanic, hispanic with black and white, Asian with white, hispanic and black, Italian with Pole and Irish, Rican and Polish, Catholic and Jewish, Muslim and Christian, and pretty much any combination you can give me. I went to almost all black schools, almost all white, heavily hispanic, heavily mixed with white, hispanic and black, and they all had lots of interracial dating no one without a problem cared about. I've known many Asians and a fair amount of Indians one of which was one of my best friends, and while some groups do date more exclusively in group than others especially if they're a smaller group there are always people "not afraid" to date "out of group" and most people pay no mind or say anything about it anyway whatever they think about it, likewise the people dating didn't pay attention to what the type of morons that have something stupid to say and are everywhere do say.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 01-22-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Umm as a matter of fact I actually have. You don't know anything about the Northeast, and you certainly don't know anything about me.
You have not =/

Anyways enough about the racism aspect but I agree with the answer about people being more privileged up North.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:11 PM

^^
Furthermore Jgamibi, people like you who assume you know a place so well that you know so lil about it and have comparatively so lil experience with against people who actually live there are half the problem with this site. You can take your preconceptions and shove em.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
You have not =/

Anyways enough about the racism aspect but I agree with the answer about people being more privileged up North.
Wow... you'd know. You'd know about my life and what I've seen just like you know exactly how 55 million people live and think. Grow up.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Wow... you'd know. You'd know about my life and what I've seen just like you know exactly how 55 million people live and think. Grow up.
I have been up there and seen the segregation that goes on. Anyways not saying it doesn't exist up there but am saying it is so rare compared to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City