Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs Las Vegas
Los Angeles 64 57.14%
Las Vegas 41 36.61%
Neither 7 6.25%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 24,469 times

Advertisements

These are two of the premier entertainment spots situated on the western half of the US. Having been to both, i love each city for different reasons. Now i understand many of you wouldnt want to live in LV or live in LA, but thats not exactly what i am asking. I want to know which city offers the most entertainment (i.e. dinning, movies, clubs/parties, gambling (LV got a lock on that one) walk ability etc...)

Please dont hate on either city because theyre both great in their own right, and also if you want please explain why you would rather live in either city or neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Vegas, Vegas. Nothing more than an Adult Disneyland...with surrounding neighborhoods where the service workers and real estate movers live.

L.A. wins this easily.

Las Vegas is the most one-dimensional place I have ever been to. Yeah, Vegas does in spades what it's there to do: big magic shows and glitzy hotel gaming, concomitant night clubs...but if you're not into that package of things to do...good luck. Stupid a-holes walking around like they own the Strip. The only thing about Vegas I liked were the Hoover Dam and dancing fountains.

The times I've been there I was already to go home that same night! Only my brother's wedding and my wife's friends living there made for a better weekend in Lost Vegas.

I mean, Houston kicks Las Vegas' butt in terms of other diverse entertainment, for what it's worth. I'm aware of Vegas boosters who like to bring up a list of their cultural gems...but where are they? There's nothing bold and grand out there like the Theater District or the Museum District in H-town.

Vegas can do glitzy like no other...but I doubt it could do funky weird like H-town.

Go have a Bad Ass Hot Dog and an Italian soda over at Onion Creek Cafe. Exit, stroll right down on White Oak...then go right where the Montrose Skate Shop is, turn right...keep going to the hiking trail...then trip out on the weirdness that is the Indian Summer Lodge. That structure, location...spot or whatever...that just so kills me! I just love the wacky surprises of Houston.

I love to go down and have an awesome slider and brew over at the Monkey Bar down in Kemah Lighthouse District, salty Gulf breeze. Where the hell can you do that in the freaking desert?

Yet I can go up to Old Town Spring northward, enjoy a REAL Mayberry-on-acid atmosphere, with some funnel cake...enjoy a REAL canal vibe nestled in the gorgeous canopy of piney forests up in next door Woodlands...at Goose's Acre, with some yummy Shepherd's Pie and a Coke. Can't have that setting in the desert either...unless you go in the Venetian, ha ha. Maybe catch a show at the awesome Dosey Doe or the Woods Paviliion.

Vegas. Paradise if you want supreme superficiality...but apart from that...over-rated as sin. Sorry, I find nothing great about Vegas.

Last edited by worldlyman; 01-23-2011 at 01:36 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 01:42 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,116 times
Neither.

Both cities have nice weather and a lot of fun stuff to do.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,996,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Paradise if you want supreme superficiality...but apart from that...over-rated as sin.
Hmm...sounds a lot like Los Angeles...

Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Hmm...sounds a lot like Los Angeles...
Yeah...L.A. is superficial as sin too...but it's definitely got a lot more to it than Vegas.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Having lived in Los Angeles and just outside it to the south on and off since the late 80's I know LA very well. I grew up in the brat pack (Sixteen Candles) generation. Back in those days Los Angeles was really more the place to be and much of NYC was still a crime ridden no man's land. Los Angeles today?... while not going into complete obscurity with recognition is a former shell of what it once was. Much of the city's former wealth and educated populace have retreated back east and else where since the hey day period. It's still trendy superficial,glitzy...and in some ways beautiful. I love what a friend said to me the other day as he was planning to leave LA for Boston; "LA is like one huge call girl that's looking tired, time to go back to my wife." All cities go through cycles in popularity.

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-24-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
"LA is like one huge call girl that's looking tired, time to go back to my wife."
Or another call girl, lol.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
Both places are superficial but Los Angeles would win hands down for having more of a sense of a city.

Los Angeles has the gentrified neighborhoods, good transportation including roads and mass transit, professional sports teams, nightlife, and a high-paying job market.

The nice thing about Las Vegas other than the entertainment and nightlife is the 24-7 convenience just about anywhere on or off the strip. Other than that there isn't much of a true city experience there.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
At least LA has beaches and surf. LA wins, plus not as hot or cold as Vegas

Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
At least LA has beaches and surf. LA wins, plus not as hot or cold as Vegas
Some threads are best left dead. Everyone knows which is the better city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City