Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Actually, you sound like you don't know them all. Do you know what Gary's nickname used to be? The Steel City. You know how many steel jobs there are in Gary now? Zero. Did you know that Gary used to be 50/50 black and white? That is, until the city had its first black mayor in the 40's... 3 years later the city was about the same as it is now demographic wise (98% black). Gary wasn't remotely as dangerous as it is now anyway until those steel jobs disappeared in the 70's. Then crack hit to nail in the coffin.

No, those places didn't get like that by accident... I wonder if you yourself knew that.
Don't kid yourself. Did you spend any of your childhood in the hood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM

292 posts, read 752,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I liked NYC more than the SF bay area. Having been to both, I say both of them are great places to be and are very fun for a single person without children. NYC has a lot more energy and a lot more things around for you to do than SF does, however I must say if your interested in some small town atmosphere with nature around SF may be a better place for you.
If SF has a "small town atmosphere", then there is only one city in the country that doesn't.

Sections of Union Square (Market and Powell etc.) are more urban and bustling than anywhere Ive seen outside of NYC in this country

Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Don't kid yourself. Did you spend any of your childhood in the hood?

Who's kidding who? If you actually think some black neighborhoods are as bad as they are solely because of black people then the joke's on you. And my family's from Gary so I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 01-24-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,722,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Who's kidding who? If you actually think some black neighborhoods are as bad as they are solely because of black people then the joke's on you. And my family's from Gary so I know what I'm talking about.
Trying to explain this to someone from the bay area is like trying to explain sex to a virgin, so I'm done.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Trying to explain this to someone from the bay area is like trying to explain sex to a virgin, so I'm done.

Trying to explain simple history to someone who's ignorant of it is like trying to explain simple addition to my dog. I'm not going to waste any more of my time

Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
This went well.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This went well.

yea rofl.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:33 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
New York City because of Manhattan and all it has to offer.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,235,557 times
Quote:
yeah because there are no ghetto areas in the Bay Area. None at all. Excuse me while i go down to the projects and let everyone know there are no ghettos here, because killakoolaide from the internet said so.

edit: a woman just died this morning in one of SF's projects, after getting a molotov cocktail through her car window. But nah, we don't know anything about crazy ghetto stuff, because according to you we don't have enough black people to have any true ghetto areas. What's with your connection between more black = worse anyways? It's more like the higher the number of poor and marginalized people you have packed into one area with tons of drugs gets, then the higher the crime rate gets. Unfortunately blacks in this country are disproportionately poor and marginalized compared to other races (for obvious reasons stretching back hundreds of years)...so you get a higher proportion of high crime majority black areas.

Last edited by rah; 01-25-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
yeah because there are no ghetto areas in the Bay Area. None at all. Excuse me while i go down to the projects and let everyone know there are no ghettos here, because killakoolaide from the internet said so.

edit: a woman just died this morning in one of SF's projects, after getting a molotov cocktail through her car window. But nah, we don't know anything about crazy ghetto stuff, because according to you we don't have enough black people to have any true ghetto areas. What's with your connection between more black = worse anyways? It's more like the higher the number of poor and marginalized people you have packed into one area with tons of drugs gets, then the higher the crime rate gets. Unfortunately blacks in this country are disproportionately poor and marginalized compared to other races (for obvious reasons stretching back hundreds of years)...so you get a higher proportion of high crime majority black areas.

Yeah exactly. Never mind that Richmond CA has a higher crime rate than every city in his entire state of PA and is twice as murderous as Philly. Nope, we know absolutely nothing about ghettos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City