Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
How are victorian houses a SF monument? lol.

And no, cable cars/Central Park/Chrylser Building/Brooklyn Bridge are nowhere near as well known worldwide as the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate. In America, yeah... but America isn't the world.
Seven of them of female persuasion could be known as iconic, though not monumental. Maia, Electra, Taygete, Alcyone, Celaeno, Sterope, and Merope...Sturdy wood and a good view adds to the perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times
Quote:
How are victorian houses a SF monument? lol.
They're iconic. Folks worldwide know about the painted victorians.
Quote:
And no, cable cars/Central Park/Chrylser Building/Brooklyn Bridge are nowhere near as well known worldwide as the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate. In America, yeah... but America isn't the world.
That's nonsense. The Golden Gate isn't better known than these other monuments.

My family is mostly abroad, and there's no way they would make a distinction, saying, "gee, I know that bridge in CA, but never heard of SF cable cars; never heard of Central Park", etc. Complete nonsense.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
They're iconic. Folks worldwide know about the painted victorians.

That's nonsense. The Golden Gate isn't better known than these other monuments.

My family is mostly abroad, and there's no way they would make a distinction, saying, "gee, I know that bridge in CA, but never heard of SF cable cars; never heard of Central Park", etc. Complete nonsense.

uhh.... you realize that the GG is one of the most featured American monuments in film right? Probably only behind the statue of liberty. The only way most people outside of America, China and Europe see us is through Hollywood... Central Park is definitely not Hollywood's main focus, nor are cable cars and painted victorians.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
uhh.... you realize that the GG is one of the most featured American monuments in film right? Probably only behind the statue of liberty. The only way most people outside of America, China and Europe see us is through Hollywood... Central Park is definitely not Hollywood's main focus, nor are cable cars and painted victorians.
Except the almost 8million international visitors a year to NYC and all...

which is about 7-8x any other city.

Contrary to your belief a large portion of Europeans and those from other continents have been to the US...and its generally NYC.

So considering NYC is far more featured in film than SF, along with almost 7-8X the international visitors... even more so if you added it up to current life time of people who have been... I would say NYC and it's icons have FAR more exposure than SF.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Central Park and the Empire State Building aren't world famous?

What.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
I'll just say this. . .

The Brooklyn Bridge is a National Landmark. The Golden Gate isn't.

You really think NYC only has 1 famous monument. Oh that explains why we're a world city. Lol

That explains why we just broke records for domestic and international tourist. Righhhhttt

Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
No wait how about this. . .

golden gate bridge / Central park - Google Fight : make this fight with googlefight !

Lmfaooo! Fail.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Except the almost 8million international visitors a year to NYC and all...

which is about 7-8x any other city.

Contrary to your belief a large portion of Europeans and those from other continents have been to the US...and its generally NYC.

So considering NYC is far more featured in film than SF, along with almost 7-8X the international visitors... even more so if you added it up to current life time of people who have been... I would say NYC and it's icons have FAR more exposure than SF.
You misread what I said. I said that besides Europeans and the Chinese (who both have more access to the internet and more $) most people only see us through a TV.

8 million out of the 5.7 billion who live outside of the US is still inconsequential.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I'll just say this. . .
The Brooklyn Bridge is a National Landmark. The Golden Gate isn't.

This just might be the dumbest thing I've read on the entire thread.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Central Park and the Empire State Building aren't world famous?

What.

They're famous for those with access to the internet. For those only with access to TV (read: the rest of the world), the statue of liberty is FAR more famous than both of them combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City