Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Urban
Denver 19 8.09%
Minneapolis 32 13.62%
Pittsburgh 80 34.04%
Seattle 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM

437 posts, read 624,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I downloaded some density maps of Pittsburgh to see how different Pittsburgh was pre-urban renewal and per-industrial collapse. Of course, you can't tell how much the change was from decay rather than shrinking families, but it's likely if there was more demand housing would be more crowded.

1950: Looks like a relatively well-connected stretch of census tracts of 15k/sq mile and higher.

Today: Huge population decline, though Lawrencville and Oakland stand out for having some relatively high population density left.

In contrast, Seattle at about the same scale. 1950: Looks quite a bit less dense than Pittsburgh today

2010: Some increase in density, though nowhere near the scale of Pittsburgh's decline. Seems to be two concentrations: one in and around downtown, except to the south. Another right around the U-District, looks a bit similar in size to Oakland.

both taken from this website
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
If we're looking at the same maps Seattle looks a lot denser than Pittsburgh today unless we're comparing maps from the 50's.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2014 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Some posts I hadn't got around to responding to:

It's possible that there are restrictions on building on the hillsides, or it's impractical to build heavily on hillsides. San Francisco is built up densely on many of its hillsides, though. The old Stapeton Airport was used for a non-residential purpose that was no longer needed. It would be harder to redevelop a neighborhood where people already live, and sometimes zoning restriction prevent denser housing.

There are no such restrictions that I know of in Pittsburgh. The "South Side Slopes" (where I once worked as a visiting nurse) are one of the few hillsides that have been developed in Pittsburgh. Most development is at the bottom and top of hills, with the steep slopes very thinly developed. The South Side Works is a shopping mall in Pittsburgh built on an old steel mill works. They could have put in housing, but there was no need.

Not exactly sure if you were referring to a downtown; the post you responded was on people living above commercial streets in general, not downtown-specifically. In any case, if you were referring to a downtown, not every building in a downtown is a department store or office skyscraper. Some are low rise buildings were people are living above a store. It's also often unclear where to decided where downtown ends. This street in downtown Philly has people living above a store

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cente...49.81,,0,-4.75

I could find plenty more. I'm unfamiliar with midwestern farm towns, but I've seen many commercial streets with apartments on them (including the main street of my town). I don't get what "living above the store" has to do with midwestern farm towns, there are many big city commercial streets with stores above them. I also gave an example of one in the previous post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32615495-post259.html

I was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Commercial streets have the highest population density normally. What are you talking about? In DC, residents live on top of street level retail.
I don't think it's true that commercial streets have the highest population density normally.

Midwestern and New England farm towns are very similar.

I think the savanna hypothesis refers to people prefers to have some open views, which isn't really going to happen on a city street unless you have huge setbacks. A streetscape, especially a narrow one is already rather closed in anyway. I don't see how lots of trees on a street could appear unfriendly. They could have the negative of blocking a bit of the view of the building architecture and light, but doubt people could find them unfriendly.
I think the savanna hypothesis is just that, an unproven hypothesis. People seem to like trees, and go to great lengths to get them to grow in places they normally don't grow, such as the semi-arid lands of Colorado, and every other desert city I have ever seen. My friend said that's how it is in Iran, as well.

(Mine in teal)

Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Quote:
I don't think it's true that commercial streets have the highest population density normally.
Perhaps, though there a counter-example here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32615495-post259.html

Also, in many Manhattan streets, even the smaller streets have scattered shops on them:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+...305.82,,0,1.74

Not really a commercial street but has apartments above the store.

Quote:
Midwestern and New England farm towns are very similar.
Ok, though apartments above the store being limited to Midwestern farm towns, or farm towns in general is obviously false.

As an aside, many New England towns aren't farm towns, even in rural areas; farming was limited and they were often as much mill towns rather than farm towns. Even small, isolated towns had a brick mill building, early in the industrial revolution anywhere hilly near a river was favored for powering the factory. In contrast, I saw a grain elevator in a small town in Minnesota, which would be rare in New England.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times
The best part of Living Downtown Seattle is not having to drive anywhere and having everything within walking distance. Multiple Movie theater complexes, Multiple Department stores, Mutiple grocery stores, Multiple Big Box Stores, Malls, Public Markets, all downtown. Easy transportation Seattle has Monorail , Subway and streetcar Networks.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The best part of Living Downtown Seattle is not having to drive anywhere and having everything within walking distance. Multiple Movie theater complexes, Multiple Department stores, Mutiple grocery stores, Multiple Big Box Stores, Malls, Public Markets, all downtown. Easy transportation Seattle has Monorail , Subway and streetcar Networks.
Seattle seemed like it did a good job of having practical stores downtown, though some streets seemed a bit dead with newer office buildings and nothing on the ground level (mainly the southern part of downtown I think). Also a supermarket, at least on the edge of downtown.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,809,115 times
Quote:
Seattle seemed like it did a good job of having practical stores downtown, though some streets seemed a bit dead with newer office buildings and nothing on the ground level (mainly the southern part of downtown I think). Also a supermarket, at least on the edge of downtown.
Seattle has several large grocery stores downtown QFC Seattle Center, IGA and Target Pine area, Whole Foods South Lake Union, Uwajamaya International Distric, H Mart under construction Pike Place Area, Capitol Hill has 2 QFC, Queen Ann has Safeway and Metropolitan Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City