Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City offers a better quality of life?
Miami 50 42.02%
Philadelphia 69 57.98%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
im in the suburbs, its always colder than in the city. the buildings in the city hold heat thats why the temps are always higher.
ahh yes, the heat island effect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
A few Philly pics from the depths of winter: http://devanwells.blogspot.com/searc...l/Philadelphia

Old 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Default False advertising

Miami is the master of Great advertising but those who have live in miami know the real deal!!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
It's the wrong time of year to ask this question

Current temps: Philly= 15deg.
Miami= 62deg.
Some people like a 4 season climate and winter sporting opportunities. Overall I vote for Philadelphia.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Some people like a 4 season climate and winter sporting opportunities. Overall I vote for Philadelphia.
The 4 seasons toughens you up and prevents apathy. I personally would get spoiled living in a tropical climate at this point in my life. April is just another day in Miami. In a city like Philadlephia its a religious experience. The entire northern part of the country comes to life when you get into those first warm fronts that bring the temps of 60's and 70's

This is a difficult matchup.

As far regions?

For young/ single people and the retired folk I'd lean towards Miami.

For a place to plant roots and a raise a family? Id have to go with Philadelphia. Very diverse stable economy and its one of the few affordable regions in the northeast.Very underrated. Philadelphia region has everything NY,Bos,Washington has except the insane high cost of living.

City Head to Head?

Admittedly dont know much about Miami but it appears the per capita numbers are pretty similar to Philadelphia. Lots of problems in the inner cities but both have world class features as well. Miami's incredible waterfront and beaches. Philadlephias downtown and NW territory(Chestnut Hill/West Mt Airy).

Last edited by rainrock; 01-24-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The 4 seasons toughens you up and prevents apathy. I personally would get spoiled living in a tropical climate at this point in my life. April is just another day in Miami. In a city like Philadlephia its a religious experience. The entire northeast comes to life when you get into those first warm fronts that bring the temps of 60's and 70's

As far regions?

For a place to plant roots and a raise a family? Id have to go with Philadelphia. Very diverse stable economy and its one of the few affordable regions in the northeast.Very underrated. Philadelphia region has everything NY,Bos,Washington has except the insane high cost of living.

City Head to Head?

Admittedly dont know much about Miami but it appears the per capita numbers are pretty similar to Philadelphia. Lots of problems in the inner cities but both have world class features as well. Miami's incredible waterfront and beaches. Philadlephias downtown and NW territory(Chestnut Hill/West Mt Airy).
very true

Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
I think you all are greatly underplaying all Miami has to offer - which is much more than nice weather and sandy beaches. Miami has multiple top high schools (ranked much higher than any in Philly [source: http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2010...ols/list.html]), an excellent and largest by population college in the nation (Miami Dade College), as well as two well regarded Universities (FIU and UM).

Does it have the historical significant that Philly has, its highly debatable as both cities have lots and lots of history from very different periods so hard to say which is better. Likewise both have excellent Nightlife, Museums, and Performing Arts again very different styles though with Philly having great classical stuff while Miami dominates modern. Both have NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. Philly and Miami both have ample job opportunities it just depends on what field you want to work in. Both have great downtowns.

Housing I dont know much about Philly. Visually I much prefer the housing assortment in Miami from the condos, homes, apartments, and high-rises. I absolutely love it and its very affordable to get a nice place in Kendall, Sweetwater, even Miami Beach. Only really expensive places are Coconut Grove, Doral, and Downtown. If you prefer a more suburban feel but still with access to beaches and downtown Miami Lakes is a great option for single family homes and beautiful lakes - its also smack in between downtown Miami and downtown Ft Lauderdale.

I think in the end for this one it comes down to whether you prefer living in a tropical setting on the beach or a northeastern setting with snow. The big perk of Philly is the public transit and access to the rest of the Northeast Corridor. Miami if you live in downtown or on the beach you can get by without a car but you can't really get to any other cities unless its by plane. Flights and cruises though are cheap in Miami to some very nice destinations. Ft. Lauderdale is somewhat accessible from Trirail (technically so is PBC but it drops you off in the middle of nowhere so you need someone waiting with a car)

I'm pretty torn on this and have yet to vote.

Last edited by EndersDrift; 01-24-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Miami is the master of Great advertising but those who have live in miami know the real deal!!
Crime, No English, Foreclosure, blah, blah, blah!! Who doesn't know about all that? Every movie about Miami happens to deal with Latin Drug Dealers.lol

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The 4 seasons toughens you up and prevents apathy. I personally would get spoiled living in a tropical climate at this point in my life. April is just another day in Miami. In a city like Philadlephia its a religious experience. The entire northern part of the country comes to life when you get into those first warm fronts that bring the temps of 60's and 70's

As far regions?

City Head to Head?

Good point.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 PM

153 posts, read 416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
And the real deal is gross.

I live here and it's the pits. Too hot, too south american, too ghetto, too corrupt, too much traffic, too stressful, too many rude people...

Gross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City