Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM

43 posts, read 76,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
SO Boston shines brightly when it has to compete with NY, Philly and DC??
you must be joking. Or rather, you must not have read the question.

In terms of population Boston is behind of NY, Philly and DC.
In terms of GDP Boston is behind of NY and DC
In terms of political power it is behind of DC and NY.
In terms of Cultural influence it is behind NY, DC and Philly.
In terms of logistics/imp to the region it is behind NY and DC.
In terms of historical significance I guess it would be a 4way tie.

Dominant in the region Boston is not. It is far from ATL, far from Chicago, far from Seattle. Maybe on par with San Jose in Cali competing for significance with SF, Sacramento, SJ and LA
I'm sorry, but Boston's behind Philly in cultural influence? So, that whole universal healthcare and gay marriage doesn't count or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Quote:
I know American history probably better than you. i didn't say regions was based on land size. Where on earth did you read that.

I said why did he choose regions that are as large as the midwest and the SE and then from the NE only pick a fragment of it. a fragment the size of Illinois or Georgia. I would suggest you learn to read before you start calling people ignorant.
He did choose "Southeast" for Atlanta and not just the South, so your point is moot. If you include the entire Northeast, you'd have to include the entire South. And you did compare New England based on land size, because you equated it with Georgia and Illinois...

You know more about American history than me... yet you include places like NY, Philly, or DC with New England...

Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago-Morph View Post
I'm sorry, but Boston's behind Philly in cultural influence? So, that whole universal healthcare and gay marriage doesn't count or something?
There are more TV shows (that are on all the time) set in Philly than in Boston.

The gay marriage thing hits the airwaves for a 30 second clip every now and then.

So yes, Philly does have more influence in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,109 times
Boston.

Atlanta is without a doubt the "capital of the SE" and its the hub with which all Southern spokes radiate, but in terms of share of population and influence, it is not as dominant as Boston's share of New England. The only other cities that get any New England mention in any topic are Hartford and maybe Bridgeport/Stamford (but then do we lump the latter with NYC?). Providence, VT, NH, and ME take a backseat to Boston.

In the South you have Atlanta as the largest, most influential city, but you also have Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham, New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Richmond, and arguably Louisville, Tampa, and Orlando (maybe even Cincinnati).

Without Boston, New England would just be a mecca of vacation homes, artists, lobstermen, and writers. Maybe throw in a few insurance companies, LoL.

Without Atlanta, the South would still have a network of unique, important, large metropolitan areas that contribute something to the region and to the country.

Chicago? What are we defining as the Midwest and then I maybe can chime in? Is it the Upper Midwest? Are we going over to Ohio? Is Cincinnati Midwest or South? Is Kansas part of this Midwest?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
He did choose "Southeast" for Atlanta and not just the South, so your point is moot. If you include the entire Northeast, you'd have to include the entire South. And you did compare New England based on land size, because you equated it with Georgia and Illinois...
my point is the SE, NE and Mid west are similar in size. The south is just too big and New England just too puny.

but this argument is just silly. you are just dragging the thread into the dirt by carrying this further.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 PM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,039 times
Quote:
my point is the SE, NE and Mid west are similar in size. The south is just too big and New England just too puny.

but this argument is just silly. you are just dragging the thread into the dirt by carrying this further.
You still dismiss your misconceptions as just "silly" and "minor", yet if someone says that Houston was in California (since its West anyway and its all Mexicans there) I bet everyone here, including you, would go nuts over it and rightly so.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Boston wins in a landslide. Of course, New England is only marginally larger than the states of Georgia or Illinois, so it's not a very fair competition.

The Atlanta vs Chicago comparison is more interesting. Not sure how you define Chicago sphere of influence, but imo Atlanta's covers, GA, NC, SC, TN, AL, and northern Florida, and it dominates the region pretty handily. It has some influence in KY, MS, and Central Florida (even a bit in Southern Florida; we're the busiest flight connection with Miami, for instance; I believe the same is true for Orlando and Tampa). Not sure what Chicago people think of their respective area as being.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Without Atlanta, the South would still have a network of unique, important, large metropolitan areas that contribute something to the region and to the country.
The South as a whole might...but would the Southeast? I guess it depends if we're including South Florida as part of the Southeast (sorry to open that can of worms). If not, the only other metro of significance in the SE would be Charlotte.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Boston.

Atlanta is without a doubt the "capital of the SE" and its the hub with which all Southern spokes radiate, but in terms of share of population and influence, it is not as dominant as Boston's share of New England. The only other cities that get any New England mention in any topic are Hartford and maybe Bridgeport/Stamford (but then do we lump the latter with NYC?). Providence, VT, NH, and ME take a backseat to Boston.

In the South you have Atlanta as the largest, most influential city, but you also have Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Birmingham, New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Richmond, and arguably Louisville, Tampa, and Orlando (maybe even Cincinnati).

Without Boston, New England would just be a mecca of vacation homes, artists, lobstermen, and writers. Maybe throw in a few insurance companies, LoL.

Chicago? What are we defining as the Midwest and then I maybe can chime in? Is it the Upper Midwest? Are we going over to Ohio? Is Cincinnati Midwest or South? Is Kansas part of this Midwest?
Interpret it as you will, I think its pretty arbitrary. I didn't want to say that all of Ohio is the MW because, like you said, I consider Cincinnati to be more or less a gateway to the South. Same with Pennsylvania (Philly is not the Midwest). Plus, some of the smaller states like the Dakotas seem more Great Plains than Midwestern so I didn't want to specify. I left it undefined on purpose.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,336 times
Quote:
Chicago has competition from Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinatti, Milwaukee, Minn/St Paul.
yet again, st. louis is conspicuously absent from this list, even though it the midwest city most intimately and historically connected to chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City