Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Funny on Goldman - qoute from their recrutiment strategy I would chose a Villanova undergrad over Wharton as my top two but the Villanova grad is ready to step in and work - oh both in Philly

BTW Villanova has consistently been ranked between 6-12 among Business Schools in the US for undergrad along with Wharton in the top 5 and typically #1 in the world for Graduate Finance but then again Wharton needs no explanation

The best undergrad b-schools - Business - Bloomberg Businessweek - msnbc.com

FWIW Emory does quite well (actually finished a place ahead of Wharton (4) undergrad in 2011 though Wharton is really more well known as the grduate school) on the undergrad ranking as well though places far fewer as does Moorehouse combined from Atlanta to Wallstreet when compared to Villanova alone not even adding those from Wharton or Princeton.

Sadly another stat with real world implications Villanova was the second most common undergrad in terms of those lost on 9/11

Though i did find it comical when you suggested that Villanova is not a business school - I assume you do not work in finance; i do not anymore but spent the first part of my career doing M&A work on wallstreet before what i do currently as a managment and marketing consultant in the Pharma space - and you mentioned Bain and Mckinnsey and BCG imagine the concept of fluid dynamics may also not resonate with you - is ok I did the Mckinnsey gig before as well

Also in finance people dont typically move to Atlanta (or even Philly for that matter) to take top jobs in this industry; especially regional ones

I spend far too much on useless banter on here
No I knew Villanova had a business .I was talking more about Swarthmore,Dickinson,Bryn Mawr that you mention which are excellent liberal arts schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Im confused by your statement, because your saying how drexel and temple havent been ranked high in their business programs, but you forgot to mention that the university of pennsylvania was ranked the number one business program in the country.

No I did not.I gave total credit for the most well known name in business.If I were inclined to be in that field ,Wharton no matter where its rank is,is where id go to first.
Wharton is the University of Pennsylvania Business School name

Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Boston doesnt really have that much more of a leg up in education, there are more colleges, but philly is right behind, also medical research is at the very least a tie, but i give the edge to philadelphia, and philadelphia plays a large roll in the pharmaceutical industry.
This isn't a snub of Philadelphia...but Boston does have a big advantage in education. I think Philadelphia could be anywhere between #2-4 in the country. Boston has two of the ten best schools on the planet in its urban core...no other city has that. Not to mention the fact that Boston's "second-tier" schools include institutions like Boston College, Tufts, Boston University, Wellesley, and Brandeis. Boston is just far ahead of any other city in this regard.

Philadelphia is unquestionably the #1 pharma center of the country. Boston does well in this regard, but it's not on the same level as Philly. However, Boston does have a considerably advantage in hospitals and biotechnology.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This isn't a snub of Philadelphia...but Boston does have a big advantage in education. I think Philadelphia could be anywhere between #2-4 in the country. Boston has two of the ten best schools on the planet in its urban core...no other city has that. Not to mention the fact that Boston's "second-tier" schools include institutions like Boston College, Tufts, Boston University, Wellesley, and Brandeis. Boston is just far ahead of any other city in this regard.

Philadelphia is unquestionably the #1 pharma center of the country. Boston does well in this regard, but it's not on the same level as Philly. However, Boston does have a considerably advantage in hospitals and biotechnology.

Agree that Boston is tops in Education but honestly it isnt as far ahead as some suggest. Also Princeton though not in the core coupled with Penn, Nova, Temple, Drexel, Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, haverford, Univ of De etc. Philly would best Boston with the best set of Liberal Arts schools in the country (Boston to me would be 2nd) do put Philly as formidible on Education

On Hospitals honestly TMAC you are typically pretty objective - considerable advantage - NFW especially considerable- absolutely two of the best hospital cities on the planet

These two cities have more similarities than differances and both have their own nuances

Both have diverse industries, investment in research and are economic and education engines.

I do think there is a little irrational exuberance from some Philly posters here but I am also always a bit tickled that to the bostoner many times there is some disgust when philly is mentioned in the same breath as Boston. This seems to happen on here and in real life which in many always surprised me. I have always loved Boston but it was never a real competitor here - probably because NYC always loomed over and always seemed smaller, not a ton but Boston always felt more like the little brother

Allright done my diatribe - think just bitter about getting swept by the bruins this year

Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

If he didn't knoW Wharton and UPenn are the same and he lives in Philly. I highly doubt he realizes just how much in higher educton Boston is.Boston is number 1 and then it would be NYC,L.A. or D.C. (any order) BEFORE pHILLY.i DO AGREE ABOUT LIBERAL ARTS in Philly is tops.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If he didn't knoW Wharton and UPenn are the same and he lives in Philly. I highly doubt he realizes just how much in higher educton Boston is.Boston is number 1 and then it would be NYC,L.A. or D.C. (any order) BEFORE pHILLY.i DO AGREE ABOUT LIBERAL ARTS in Philly is tops.
while I believe that SF/NYC/LA can make an argument to be ahead of Philly no way on DC; which is also very good

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM

83 posts, read 87,519 times
Quote:
DC? I don't think so. Surprised you did not say atlanta.

Quote:
while I believe that SF/NYC/LA can make an argument to be ahead of Philly no way on DC; which is also very good
I agree

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Well D.C. Metro;
Georgetown
American University
Naval Academy
George Washington University
George Mason
Howard U
John Hopkins

Although it is lacking in the liberal arts.

Ill give Philly the edge because of this

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
GT, GW, U of M, Howard, AU, Catholic, Hopkins, Trinity....

Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
If he didn't knoW Wharton and UPenn are the same and he lives in Philly. I highly doubt he realizes just how much in higher educton Boston is.Boston is number 1 and then it would be NYC,L.A. or D.C. (any order) BEFORE pHILLY.
Whoa, I don't think you can put DC anywhere near this convo...or even LA. I'd say the order goes:

1. Boston
2. Bay Area
3. Philadelphia
4. New York
5. Chicago

DC has decent schools...but it's not Top 5 material.

Quote:
Agree that Boston is tops in Education but honestly it isnt as far ahead as some suggest. Also Princeton though not in the core coupled with Penn, Nova, Temple, Drexel, Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, haverford, Univ of De etc. Philly would best Boston with the best set of Liberal Arts schools in the country (Boston to me would be 2nd) do put Philly as formidible on Education
I was basically just looking at the relative core of the city. I have a hard time giving to Princeton to either New York or Philadelphia since it is almost equidistant...so I try to leave it out of both. If you were to include Princeton, Boston would also add Brown University, Providence College, Worcester Polytech, College of the Holy Cross, among others.

I think you could give the nod to Philly in Liberal Arts, though Massachusetts overall may be the best for Liberal Arts.

Quote:
On Hospitals honestly TMAC you are typically pretty objective - considerable advantage - NFW especially considerable- absolutely two of the best hospital cities on the planet
You're right, it may not be a considerable advantage...but Boston has a pretty decent advantage. Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham & Women's are both considered Top 10 hospitals in the country. Add onto that Mass Eye & Ear, Beth Israel Deaconess, Joslin Diabetes, Dana Farber, Tufts Medical Center, Boston Medical Center, Spaulding Rehab, and the Lahey Clinic.

Per usual, Boston & Philadelphia's Children's Hospitals are tied for first in the US News & World Report.

Quote:
These two cities have more similarities than differances and both have their own nuances

Both have diverse industries, investment in research and are economic and education engines.

I do think there is a little irrational exuberance from some Philly posters here but I am also always a bit tickled that to the bostoner many times there is some disgust when philly is mentioned in the same breath as Boston. This seems to happen on here and in real life which in many always surprised me. I have always loved Boston but it was never a real competitor here - probably because NYC always loomed over and always seemed smaller, not a ton but Boston always felt more like the little brother
Agree 100%!

Quote:
Allright done my diatribe - think just bitter about getting swept by the bruins this year
haha when we went up 3-0 all I could think of was me talking sh1t last year. Kept my big mouth shut this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City