Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp80 View Post
DC? I don't think so. Surprised you did not say atlanta.

I agree

I would put Atlanta right after Philly.I am a realist above all.Not a overto homer like some on here would like to say about anybody from Atlanta

Maybe 6-8. Definitely has the most National of public schools
All good company

Last edited by afonega1; 05-17-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Superman need not go in the bounds of the domain of Captain Atlanta, I saw the giant A in the night sky of cyberspace and thought he was already around to take care of it. Perhaps he was taking a break at The Varsity, his belly got the best of him.
Haha. You guys crack me up.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Whoa, I don't think you can put DC anywhere near this convo...or even LA. I'd say the order goes:

1. Boston
2. Bay Area
3. Philadelphia
4. New York
5. Chicago

DC has decent schools...but it's not Top 5 material.

I was basically just looking at the relative core of the city. I have a hard time giving to Princeton to either New York or Philadelphia since it is almost equidistant...so I try to leave it out of both. If you were to include Princeton, Boston would also add Brown University, Providence College, Worcester Polytech, College of the Holy Cross, among others.

I think you could give the nod to Philly in Liberal Arts, though Massachusetts overall may be the best for Liberal Arts.

You're right, it may not be a considerable advantage...but Boston has a pretty decent advantage. Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham & Women's are both considered Top 10 hospitals in the country. Add onto that Mass Eye & Ear, Beth Israel Deaconess, Joslin Diabetes, Dana Farber, Tufts Medical Center, Boston Medical Center, Spaulding Rehab, and the Lahey Clinic.

Per usual, Boston & Philadelphia's Children's Hospitals are tied for first in the US News & World Report.

Agree 100%!

haha when we went up 3-0 all I could think of was me talking sh1t last year. Kept my big mouth shut this time around.
Well I say D.C. to include Baltimore and the surround metro are of VA and MD.
Are we talking quality or student enrollment or degrees conferred?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I say D.C. to include Baltimore and the surround metro are of VA and MD.
Are we talking quality or student enrollment or degrees conferred?
Oh ok...as I said in the previous post, I was mainly looking at the cores of cities. In terms of criteria...I guess it's a combo of both student enrollment and quality of colleges.

So by the CSA rankings, I guess I would choose:

1A. Boston (Harvard, MIT, Brown, Wellesley, BC, Tufts)
1B. New York City (Princeton, Yale, Columbia, NYU) ...from what I can see, Princeton falls into NYC's CSA.
3. Bay Area (Stanford, Cal Berkeley, UC SF)
4. Philadelphia (UPenn, Drexel, Temple, host of Liberal Arts schools)
5. Chicago (Northwestern, U Chicago)
6. Baltimore (Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, American, Trinity) I'm not trying to disrespect DC by listing B'More...I just find it hard to give DC credit when by far the best school in the metro is located in downtown Baltimore.
7. Los Angeles (Cal Tech, UCLA, Southern Cal)
8. Raleigh-Durham (Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, NC State)
9. Atlanta (Emory, GTech, host of Afro American colleges)
10. ...?

However I find it absolutely absurd to use CSAs for measuring colleges. I prefer to look more closely at the core of cities when looking at schools.

Why?

Because schools like Johns Hopkins, Brown and Yale are like the anchors of their cities' downtown...how can we associate them with cities 40-50 miles away? Princeton may not be in a major city, but it is the centerpiece of its own area of New Jersey.

On the flipside, schools like UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, U Chicago, and Georgetown are very much part of their cities. Since I can only speak for Boston, I will use that as an example. I can (and do) bump into Harvard Med students--or a host of other students--if I go to one of the bars on my block. Those schools are part of those cities and you can feel it just by walking the streets. For that reason, I think this is one category where it's much better to look at the urban core rather than the extended metro.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-17-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM

312 posts, read 437,208 times
Between Boston and Philadelphia which one is the more important one? None of those "its so close, almost a tie" thing but a definite answer. If it had to be one, just one, which one would it be?

Oh and I'm asking all whom care to answer with one answer.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Between Boston and Philadelphia which one is the more important one? None of those "its so close, almost a tie" thing but a definite answer. If it had to be one, just one, which one would it be?

Oh and I'm asking all whom care to answer with one answer.

Depends on what the criteria is:

In Finance, Education, Economic Output, Shipping, Chemicals, Energy, Healthcare, Law, Medicine, Healthcare, Research etc.

Both would do well on nearly all and would likely come close to splitting categories.

Importance is subjective and perceptually it would seem the boston would get the nod; on economic output Philly would be bigger (MSA not CSA); give a specific area to consider and you can derive a clear cut answer more than likely (maybe a few draws) but overall you would likely get a slight majority in a poll toward Boston - it seems to have a better name though slightly smaller in economic impact

To me personally i do pretty much view them as a draw. My subjective importance rankings of areas usually go something like this

1 NYC
2 LA
3 Chicago
4 DMV
5 Bay Area
6/7 Boston/Philly take your pick
8/9 DFW/Houston take your pick
10 Atlanta
11 Miami
then gets more complicated to me
not skating the question but personally i do not see a clear cut winner between the two only within specific categories

Think this has been many times on here

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-boston.html

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Oh ok...as I said in the previous post, I was mainly looking at the cores of cities. In terms of criteria...I guess it's a combo of both student enrollment and quality of colleges.

1B. New York City (Princeton, Yale, Columbia, NYU) ...from what I can see, Princeton falls into NYC's CSA.
6. Baltimore (Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, American, Trinity) I'm not trying to disrespect DC by listing B'More...I just find it hard to give DC credit when by far the best school in the metro is located in downtown Baltimore.
10. ...?

However I find it absolutely absurd to use CSAs for measuring colleges. I prefer to look more closely at the core of cities when looking at schools.

Why?

Because schools like Johns Hopkins, Brown and Yale are like the anchors of their cities' downtown...how can we associate them with cities 40-50 miles away? Princeton may not be in a major city, but it is the centerpiece of its own area of New Jersey.

On the flipside, schools like UPenn, Harvard, Columbia, U Chicago, and Georgetown are very much part of their cities. Since I can only speak for Boston, I will use that as an example. I can (and do) bump into Harvard Med students--or a host of other students--if I go to one of the bars on my block. Those schools are part of those cities and you can feel it just by walking the streets. For that reason, I think this is one category where it's much better to look at the urban core rather than the extended metro.
I dont think Baltimore should be as high.I also would put Raleigh below Atlanta.

Atlanta has:

Georgia Tech
Emory University
Georgia State U.(a school with over 30,000 students)
Morehouse College
Spelman College
Clark Atlanta University
Agnes Scott College
Columbia Seminary School
Oglethorpe University
Savannah College of Art and Design
Kennesaw State University(25,000)
Berry College
Clayton State University
Shorter College

This is from 2005
http://www.atlantahighered.org/Porta...E_totalMSA.jpg

Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Pure enrollment does not translate to quality

Is University of Pheonix the best University in the Country

Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:

10. ...?

Why?

Ehh back on my horse - the Census has already issued a position statement that Mercer should have been in Philly and made the recommendation to move it back in 2012 because it has higher interplay which moves Princeton back from NYC to Philly. But agree on your point that Princeton is likely more its own like would be a Brown or Yale all with ties but not really core centric

Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Pure enrollment does not translate to quality

Is University of Pheonix the best University in the Country
I never said it did.But these schools range fro near the top and the middle and more types of degrees.Not to mention gives aces o more diverse groups of people.

HBCU offer college to blacks(and other minorities)Atlanta has the most educated black population and among the wealthiest.D.C. as well.Philly does ok but Boston is #15 in enrollment of African American students.Education should be available to ll students.All students are not going to Harvard and MIT nor U Penn

City, in order of education rank
Percent of population with college degree or higher

Median household income & (rank)
1. Seattle, WA
$46,650 (8)
2. San Francisco, CA
$60,031 (2)
3. Raleigh, NC
$47,878 (7)
4. Washington, DC
$46,574 (9)
5. Austin, TX
$45,508 (15)
6. Atlanta, GA
$37,385 (50)
7. Minneapolis, MN
$44,116 (20)
8. Boston, MA
$45,892 (13)
9. Lexington-Fayette, KY
$38,322 (43)
10. San Diego, CA
$51,382 (5)
11. Portland, OR
$41,128 (28)
12. Oakland, CA
$46,190 (11)
13. San Jose, CA
$71,765 (1)
14. Charlotte, NC
$46,082 (12)
15. Denver, CO
$43,777 (21)
16. Honolulu, HI
$46,500 (10)
17. Colorado Springs, CO
$45,388 (16)
18. Pittsburgh, PA
$31,910 (59)
18. St. Paul, MN
$38,731 (41)
19. Cincinnati, OH
$31,960 (58)
20. Virginia Beach, VA
$55,781 (4)

African American Enrollment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City