U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would you want to live in, think it's nice..etc. Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia?
Detroit 29 7.02%
Atlanta 163 39.47%
Philadelphia 221 53.51%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 AM

2,103 posts, read 3,164,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
it does not matter how much the atlanta metro has grown because it still has fewer people than philly

also, considering that atlanta is just one huge sprawl and counts people that are FFAARR away from Atlanta

philly metro pop = 6,385,461 in 5,118 sq. mi.
atlanta metro pop = 5,626,400 in 8,376 sq. mi.

So, Atlanta has 700,000 less people and has 3,200 more sq feet

Nice SPRAWL atlanta
United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Umm Philly's metropolitan area is 5,838,471 and Atlanta is 5,376,285. Also, Philly has three areas counted in it's metro because Philly without Camden and Wilmington is 3,892,194.

So if Add up those three metros against Atlanta they only outnumber Atlanta by nearly 500,000 and considering the growth rate in Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, they all will pass Philly soon enough.

Maybe if people in Philly would have spawled out, there wouldn't be any third world areas in Philly such as North Philly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,190,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

Umm Philly's metropolitan area is 5,838,471 and Atlanta is 5,376,285. Also, Philly has three areas counted in it's metro because Philly without Camden and Wilmington is 3,892,194.
But Philly has never been without Camden and Wilmington. Camden and to a lesser extent Wilmington pretty much owe their existence to Philadelphia.

Camdens micro is anywhere from 1-20 miles from Center City Philadelphia and whose existence was a direct result of Philadlephia. The Wilmington micro is the southern boundary of an uninterrupted swath of urbanization, built in the time where cities were mainly connected by rail.

The fact is that Atlantas metro (area wise) is almost 80% larger than Philadlephias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084
considering the growth rate in Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, they all will pass Philly soon enough.
Be careful what you wish for. Growth is overrated, unsustained cheap growth which is happening in most of the sunbelt city is future disaster. Your generation might escape its wrath but future generations wont. Cheapness and rapid growth doesnt age well no matter what the location. There will always be a new Atlanta and a new Houston popping up somewhere and the old Atlanta with its aging, deteriorating, relatively cheap housing stock will be left to handle the poor and the outcasts.

Growth obviously is needed but the weed like growth Atlanta is experiencing should be frowned upon. Smart growth is the key to long term survival.

Quote:
Maybe if people in Philly would have spawled out, you wouldn't have third world areas in your city such as North Philly.
Age,sprawl + government policy not density contributed to N Philly decline.

Sprawl has off-handedly contributed to Phillys demise. As the middle class headed for greener pasture in the suburbs it left behind neighborhoods to be conquered by the lower class. Philadlephia was designed the right way but in its defense the forefathers had no idea that the big cities of the northeast + midwest would eventually become the repositories for the poor, thanks in large part to flawed governmental decisions.

Lack of sprawl wasnt north Phillys demise. Age and boomtown like growth was North Philadelphias downfall.Current growth of Atlanta is similar to what north Philly experienced in 1850.

Last edited by rainrock; 04-24-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,985,513 times
I still don't get what exactly character and history mean to a lot of posters on here. People claim that Atlanta lacks the character and history has but from my point of view it's the opposite. So can someone give a bit of a synopsis on what their definition of character and history are?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,985,513 times
Quote:
The south has better food than the north, the only thing you guys are known for is Pizza (NY) Cheesesteaks (Philly), and clam chowder (NE) and that doesn't compare to southern food. Let's be real.

As for the polls, they really don't mean anything. If it was Savannah vs Atlanta, Savannah would probably have more votes to because some people tend to dislike Atlanta for whatever reason.

Facts, Atlanta is growing, Philly is stagnant, and Detriot is declining.

In reality, If I wanted a decent job, a nice house and an area with less crime, I'll go with Atlanta. Apparently 100,000 plus people thought so last year.
That's my point on the food. Don't get me wrong, the north has some cool things. Lombardi's and Grimaldi's in New York were excellent and I always wanted to try a philly cheesesteak. But outside of a few snack foods like that the north doesn't really have anything that interests me. I mean half of my family is west indian so I know about all the ethnic dishes places like NY have to offer. But i've just never been into that. Plus I think it's special that a lot of southern foods originated in the American South whereras a lot of the ethnic dishes in NYC are transplanted from somewhere else.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:24 AM

9,823 posts, read 13,562,849 times
A lot of the old dishes of Philadelphia have been lost over the years, true enough. successive waves of immigrants who brought their own culture and food altered what was "original" and changing tastes have seen the demise of pepper pot soup, surf and turf (hot dog or sausage with a fish cake and pepper hash), etc. c'est la vie. the same way growth has undercut Atlanta's southern feel or, more especially, Charlotte which feels like it's nowhere in particular. North Philly developed first since there was no permanent bridge to west philly until the 1870's which imean it was largely farms. Lower north philly developed up until the civil war, further north post civil war. It's heyday was probably 1870's to 1920's when urban manfucaturing came crashing down and the "New deal" systematically stole wealth from urban areas. that said, 15 years ago I probably would have picked atlanta over Philly but Philly has improved enough that's no longer the case. I'm with whichever poster said they just don't like Atlanta. It's not just a north-south thing. I look forward to BBQ in any southern state (esp Texas-I can leave grits, for all the hype, it's really just a southern take on polenta) but Atlanta and Charlotte just don't do it for me. At any rate, there's plenty of sprawl in the Philly area and plenty of water (which there isn't in Atlanta). I suspect Atlanta's growth will cool off over the coming years.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:15 AM

2,103 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
A lot of the old dishes of Philadelphia have been lost over the years, true enough. successive waves of immigrants who brought their own culture and food altered what was "original" and changing tastes have seen the demise of pepper pot soup, surf and turf (hot dog or sausage with a fish cake and pepper hash), etc. c'est la vie. the same way growth has undercut Atlanta's southern feel or, more especially, Charlotte which feels like it's nowhere in particular. North Philly developed first since there was no permanent bridge to west philly until the 1870's which imean it was largely farms. Lower north philly developed up until the civil war, further north post civil war. It's heyday was probably 1870's to 1920's when urban manfucaturing came crashing down and the "New deal" systematically stole wealth from urban areas. that said, 15 years ago I probably would have picked atlanta over Philly but Philly has improved enough that's no longer the case. I'm with whichever poster said they just don't like Atlanta. It's not just a north-south thing. I look forward to BBQ in any southern state (esp Texas-I can leave grits, for all the hype, it's really just a southern take on polenta) but Atlanta and Charlotte just don't do it for me. At any rate, there's plenty of sprawl in the Philly area and plenty of water (which there isn't in Atlanta). I suspect Atlanta's growth will cool off over the coming years.
No you're hoping that ATL's growth will cool off

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well I have experienced Atlanta several times...so I don't have an unfounded opinion of the city (I like Atlanta by the way). I have experienced Charleston several times, which I absolutely loved. I never had the opportunity to make it to Savannah, however all my friends down South who I talked with about the city said "If you loved Charleston, you'll absolutely love Savannah".

When I was a little kid, in coloring books there were sometimes pages where I would have to connect the dots to create a picture...so after experiencing a place I loved, then I listening to the opinions of close friends who insist the cities are very similar, I took a page from my childhood and was able to connect the...well you obviously know what I'm getting at since you're obviously smarter than me, which is why you attempt to pick apart every post I make on this website.
Don't flatter yourself...I don't recognize your name and I have no idea who you are.

Yes, I think it is pretty dumb to even DISCUSS a city that you've never even visited. The only similarity between Charleston and Savannah is historic preservation...other than that, the two cities are night and day.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,446,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I still don't get what exactly character and history mean to a lot of posters on here. People claim that Atlanta lacks the character and history has but from my point of view it's the opposite. So can someone give a bit of a synopsis on what their definition of character and history are?
I'll try... Character is when a city brings something to mind that is rather unique about it, and delivers it to the visitor.

For example, NY has the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Statue of Liberty (in NJ waters actually) which are very distinctly and uniquely NY. Philly has Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and other historically significant sites. If you visit NY or Philly, you expect to see those things and you CAN see those things and experience them.

What does Atlanta offer that's in the same vein? Nothing that I can think of, honestly. Maybe a Civil War battlefield nearby? What are some of the impressive "firsts" and famous places in Atlanta? Coca-Cola has some history but it's mostly just a big corporation. Same for CNN. I can't think of a building, much less several, in Atlanta that has/have significance and/or fame on a national or worldwide basis. What in Atlanta would compare to Independence Hall in Philly?

Food is another one. Go to Philly and what can you expect to have the best of? Cheesesteaks. They also have a local specialty all their own called Scrapple, which is pretty gross, but it's very Philly.

What is there in Atlanta? Sweet tea, but that's all over the south. Same with comfort food and barbecue and grits.

Atlanta seems to have a whole lot of new big-box and retail centers, and not a whole lot else. It seems like a new, modern city which is very comfortable and nice for the people who live there, but nobody there points to any one thing as, "oh, while you're here in Atlanta you should really go see _______". In all my visits there, the natives have directed me to eat dinner at Houstons and other chains, occasionally to a unique restaurant downtown or in Buckhead, and to the nightlife in Buckhead (they always say don't go downtown because it's dangerous, even though I've been downtown for nightlife).

So can you fill us in on the character of Atlanta? This way I, and others, can learn something and get more out of Atlanta on our next visits.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM

9,823 posts, read 13,562,849 times
Quote:
No you're hoping that ATL's growth will cool off
no, sorry to disappoint you. I don't care one way or the other. I just happen to think that's what is going to happen.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,743,950 times
Quote:

So if Add up those three metros against Atlanta they only outnumber Atlanta by nearly 500,000 and considering the growth rate in Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston, they all will pass Philly soon enough.

Maybe if people in Philly would have spawled out, there wouldn't be any third world areas in Philly such as North Philly.
Ummmm, sorry but you are wrong.

The CSA gives a better estimate of population numbers.

Philly 6,385,461
Atlanta 5,626,400

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or