U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: which city would you want to live in, think it's nice..etc. Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia?
Detroit 29 7.02%
Atlanta 163 39.47%
Philadelphia 221 53.51%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
 
164 posts, read 297,533 times
Reputation: 241

Advertisements

I'm not going to argue which city is better since that is subjective and depends on each individual's personal preferences, needs, & desires. So I'll just give my personal take. After finishing grad school, I had to decide where I was going to live. Philly is my hometown, but I wanted to start somewhere new. I went to grad school in the Midwest, and that region just didn't fit me--so that wipes out Detroit. I have family roots in MD (father's side) and went to undergrad in Bmore (thus a strong network in that area). I also have family roots in GA (mother's side) and actually lived in Augusta for part of my youth/high school years (some of the most miserable & boring years of my life). But the idea of Atlanta was under serious consideration.

The qualities that made ATL attractive were its low cost of living, it's growth, it was up & coming, and had become a major center of a new/young black middle-class. I visited several times and liked much about it; but, something was just missing. I could never quite define what it was. I guess there was just a type of urban feel & energy that "I" need but was lacking there. Plus, there was a feeling that I would be "stranded" down there. That's the closest I can get to explaining the feeling. Perhaps if I was at the point of starting a family at that time, the housing prices and their quality down there would have won me over.

I've always been the type of person who gets bored with one city's scene quickly. Since I was a teenager, I've liked to travel to other cities. In the summers I would jump on the bus or trains to NY, stay with my grandfather, and hang out with my relatives up there. Today, if I'm sick of Bmore, I might decide to hang out down in DC. Some weekends--like last Saturday--I'll spontaneously decide to jump in my car, roll up to Philly, and hang out with my dad and relatives for the day. I like being able to do that.

Plus, despite the issues I have with the city of Philadelphia, I realize that I'll always be trapped in a love/hate relationship with that city for the rest of my life. So even though I don't want to live up there at this time, I still need "access" to it. Although I'm not very fond of Bmore city, I really like Maryland and the counties surrounding Bmore (Howard, Harford, Baltimore County). I think Maryland is a beautiful state, and it fits me. I really like it down in the DC area also. Like ATL, there's a strong black middle-class in Maryland--including the Baltimore metro (if not in the city). Plus, Bmore's cost of living, rent, & housing prices are much more reasonable than DC's. I have the best of all worlds. But the good thing is I don't feel stranded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times
Reputation: 15050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I'm not going to argue which city is better since that is subjective and depends on each individual's personal preferences, needs, & desires. So I'll just give my personal take. After finishing grad school, I had to decide where I was going to live. Philly is my hometown, but I wanted to start somewhere new. I went to grad school in the Midwest, and that region just didn't fit me--so that wipes out Detroit. I have family roots in MD (father's side) and went to undergrad in Bmore (thus a strong network in that area). I also have family roots in GA (mother's side) and actually lived in Augusta for part of my youth/high school years (some of the most miserable & boring years of my life). But the idea of Atlanta was under serious consideration.

The qualities that made ATL attractive were its low cost of living, it's growth, it was up & coming, and had become a major center of a new/young black middle-class. I visited several times and liked much about it; but, something was just missing. I could never quite define what it was. I guess there was just a type of urban feel & energy that "I" need but was lacking there. Plus, there was a feeling that I would be "stranded" down there. That's the closest I can get to explaining the feeling. Perhaps if I was at the point of starting a family at that time, the housing prices and their quality down there would have won me over.

I've always been the type of person who gets bored with one city's scene quickly. Since I was a teenager, I've liked to travel to other cities. In the summers I would jump on the bus or trains to NY, stay with my grandfather, and hang out with my relatives up there. Today, if I'm sick of Bmore, I might decide to hang out down in DC. Some weekends--like last Saturday--I'll spontaneously decide to jump in my car, roll up to Philly, and hang out with my dad and relatives for the day. I like being able to do that.

Plus, despite the issues I have with the city of Philadelphia, I realize that I'll always be trapped in a love/hate relationship with that city for the rest of my life. So even though I don't want to live up there at this time, I still need "access" to it. Although I'm not very fond of Bmore city, I really like Maryland and the counties surrounding Bmore (Howard, Harford, Baltimore County). I think Maryland is a beautiful state, and it fits me. I really like it down in the DC area also. Like ATL, there's a strong black middle-class in Maryland--including the Baltimore metro (if not in the city). Plus, Bmore's cost of living, rent, & housing prices are much more reasonable than DC's. I have the best of all worlds. But the good thing is I don't feel stranded.
Well for what it's worth I think you'll eventually see a Southeastern megalopolis forming from The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary) southwestward through The Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point), Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, Florence, and down to Athens before hitting Atlanta. The concept of the NC cities all merging with continuous development really isn't very far off from reality given the impressive growth rate in the Tarheel State, and I can similarly see Atlanta's metro reaching out to Athens, GA and Commerce, GA before too long, both of which aren't terribly far from Upstate SC. Give it some time and that I-85 corridor should fill in in about 30-40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,111 posts, read 21,729,745 times
Reputation: 10216
I voted Philadelphia, but almost completely based on Center City which is amazing. However, it's amazingly pricey compared to most areas in Detroit and Atlanta. If money were a factor, I'd probably choose Atlanta.

Also, I'd dearly love to vote for Detroit. It has the possibility of becoming a great city. It's got a good setting and it's got really impressive buildings. That combined with being along an international border (well, Canada), and along an important waterway makes it seem like Detroit should and can be an incredible place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Isn't It Obvious
85 posts, read 126,776 times
Reputation: 40
Detroit is horrendeous Atlanta delicious philladelphia nutritiuos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well for what it's worth I think you'll eventually see a Southeastern megalopolis forming from The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary) southwestward through The Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point), Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg, Florence, and down to Athens before hitting Atlanta. The concept of the NC cities all merging with continuous development really isn't very far off from reality given the impressive growth rate in the Tarheel State, and I can similarly see Atlanta's metro reaching out to Athens, GA and Commerce, GA before too long, both of which aren't terribly far from Upstate SC. Give it some time and that I-85 corridor should fill in in about 30-40 years.
You could easily include Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Macon in that megalopolis...the areas between Atlanta and those cities are just about ready to be continuously developed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 09:13 AM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,744,503 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You could easily include Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Macon in that megalopolis...the areas between Atlanta and those cities are just about ready to be continuously developed as well.
That is the last thing Atlanta needs

It is already an endless sprawl right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
 
4,570 posts, read 6,377,450 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
That is the last thing Atlanta needs

It is already an endless sprawl right now
They wouldn't even let it come close to that. It would very well be catastrophic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 08:44 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,744,503 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
They wouldn't even let it come close to that. It would very well be catastrophic.
i was only referring to the macon/warner robins area

of course not birmingham and the other cities

i should have been more specific and said that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Augusta GA
880 posts, read 2,467,684 times
Reputation: 357
Macon and Chattanooga I can see meeting up with Atlanta. Birmingham still has a ways to go though. There is a lot of open land in Eastern Alabama (Anniston area) and far western GA that would still need to be developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,116 times
Reputation: 11
detroit's skyline is even better now with the new casinos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top