U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would you want to live in, think it's nice..etc. Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia?
Detroit 29 7.02%
Atlanta 163 39.47%
Philadelphia 221 53.51%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:25 PM

925 posts, read 2,228,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
If you don't think Liberia was colonized, then you're smoking something.

All of the actions and "benefits" of colonization were undertaken...albeit by people of the same race as the colonized.
Liberia was a colony for ex-American slaves. It operated as an independent nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Why are they poor? Why is it that the majority of black areas in the U.S. are poor?

Lithonia is NOT upscale. Why do people claim such? It is middle class.
Ellenwood is NOT upscale. It is lower-middle to middle class.
Cedar Grove is NOT upscale
Arabia Mountain is not a town, but more or less a small section of a small area.
Cascade Heights has some upper middle class neighborhoods, but they are surrounded by places such as Adamsville, or other nearby areas, locations where the crime rate is high and you find bars on windows.
Fairburn is NOT upscale. It is a lower-middle to middle class suburb.
Camp Creek is mostly middle class, with a few upper middle class subdivisions. Down the road, however, it's dangerous.

None of the barely majority white suburbs you mention have well assimilated blacks. In all of these locations, whites are leaving because blacks are moving in, changing the composition of the schools (which tends to drive up the disruption. They also tend to have greater cases of violence), and because they want to live amongst their own, the same reason blacks are moving there. Blacks see the changes occurring, and they want to be around their own, figuring that many of these places will flip in due time.
Well, what do I know? I've only lived here my entire life. If there is anybody here that agrees with your ludicrous assertions, I'd like to hear from them. I stand by what I said.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
I'd rather live in Atlanta by far.

Philadelphia is #2.
Detroit is #3.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:57 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Probably Atlanta 1st, then Philadelphia.

While Metro Detroit has its charms, its not really a place I can picture myself livin in.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:15 PM

926 posts, read 1,861,374 times
Quote:
Everything you mention is easily refutable. I've gone through it multiple times with other posters. There's so many holes that can be poked through it, which I might do this weekend if I have the time.
Great..I'll be looking out for it :-).

Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,343,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
not 5% ,at least 10% at least. 10% are dealing with maichine gun bullets rip through their houses in the ghetto at 2AM. 15% ae dealing with serious crime, and about 25% are dealing with stolen property, and auto theft and other stolen stuff. 20% deal with petty crimes.
I know this is old BUT.............MACHINE GUN BULLETS AT 2AM??!!
GET a frigging grip, U sound like one of those guys on a 70's cop show, or better yet TJ Hooker from the 80's.. Alright Will Shatner.. (LOL)

Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 AM

542 posts, read 755,014 times
Philly because it drips with history and character. No comment on Detroit as I have never been. Atlanta was cool, but not as cool as Philly!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,842,221 times
Quote:
Everything you mention is easily refutable. I've gone through it multiple times with other posters. There's so many holes that can be poked through it, which I might do this weekend if I have the time.
Since you're shooting down everyone else's responses to your question, why don't you answer your own question then? I'd be quite interested to see your reponse.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM

925 posts, read 2,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, what do I know? I've only lived here my entire life. If there is anybody here that agrees with your ludicrous assertions, I'd like to hear from them. I stand by what I said.
I'm a life-long METRO ATLANTAN.

I have lived on all sides of the metro.

I know the areas you speak of, and I've actually lived in some of those areas. I've seen the changes, and I know the truth about those areas. I'm not going to a apply different economic classification to majority black areas as opposed to white areas. Why do that, when it's dishonest?

Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
I'm a life-long METRO ATLANTAN.

I have lived on all sides of the metro.

I know the areas you speak of, and I've actually lived in some of those areas. I've seen the changes, and I know the truth about those areas. I'm not going to a apply different economic classification to majority black areas as opposed to white areas. Why do that, when it's dishonest?
I'm not sure what this statement means. However, you have in an earlier post characterized Lithonia as only middle-class at best with no upper-middle class neighborhoods. A drive along Stone Mountain-Lithonia Road will quickly disprove that. Lithonia is widely acknowledged as one of the metro's most upscale A-A communities.
You also pooh-pooh my list of diverse suburbs, saying that if anything they are victims of white flight. White flight was a 60's-70's phenomenon...it isn't occurring today, and in suburbs such as Mableton, Lawrenceville and Douglasville whites and blacks are co-existing quite comfortably. To allege that Atlanta whites are running for the hills at the prospect of blacks moving in does a terrible disservice to our city on this forum as well as being simply untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or