U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would you want to live in, think it's nice..etc. Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia?
Detroit 29 7.02%
Atlanta 163 39.47%
Philadelphia 221 53.51%
Voters: 413. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,430,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not that spread out, its just boring looking. Detroits is ok, but its funky, and the GM building is downright fugly. Philly's skyline is much more immense, has better architecture, wonderful neighborhood, awesome food, etc, etc. Theres soooooo much history in Philly, its a really intruiging city, whereas Detroit and Atlanta are just "blah" IMO. Im glad you like Detroit, but visit Philly sometime, youll see what Im talking about.
For you to think that you have had to have only seen downtown Atlanta. If you take the buildings of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead all together they are far more interesting than Phillys or Detroits.

If you are into the past then Detroit and Philly are for you. But if you are into the present and especially the future Atlanta wins hands down.

There is so much exciting growth taking place in Atlanta and sooo many things and people coming to this city that it is only a matter of time before it blows away even Philly in attractions. Detroit puts me in the mind of a large sprawling Newark, New Jersey. Not attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,219,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
For you to think that you have had to have only seen downtown Atlanta. If you take the buildings of Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead all together they are far more interesting than Phillys or Detroits.

If you are into the past then Detroit and Philly are for you. But if you are into the present and especially the future Atlanta wins hands down.

There is so much exciting growth taking place in Atlanta and sooo many things and people coming to this city that it is only a matter of time before it blows away even Philly in attractions. Detroit puts me in the mind of a large sprawling Newark, New Jersey. Not attractive.
If by a large-sprawling Newark, NJ (Detroit) you mean in appearance then that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not knocking Newark, but Detroit's skyline is taller and bigger (although I think Newark does well for its size)

I've been to ATL and yes I did pretty much only see downtown, but then I've been to Philly numerous times and it has that 'big' city appeal which I didn't find in ATL. Very sparse and lots of roadways

Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
If by a large-sprawling Newark, NJ (Detroit) you mean in appearance then that doesn't make sense to me. I'm not knocking Newark, but Detroit's skyline is taller and bigger (although I think Newark does well for its size)

I've been to ATL and yes I did pretty much only see downtown, but then I've been to Philly numerous times and it has that 'big' city appeal which I didn't find in ATL. Very sparse and lots of roadways
I said a large Newark as in the buildings are bigger but it has pretty much the same style and feel as Newark especially from street level only it has more surburbs.

Atlanta is not as dense as Philly and may never be but there is more than just surburban sprawl taking place in Atlanta the city center is growing and becoming more dense everyday. City Data list Atlanta's population as only 416,000 that would mean the city has only grown by 2% in the last 8 years. Anyone who has lived in Atlanta during that period knows that can't be correct based on the amount of new residences that have gone up (including highrise condos) and are full. I've seen an estimate somewhere of 456,000 and that was two years ago. I think thats alot more accurate but still short.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,546,171 times
Philly has a lot of nice historic neighborhoods. Atlanta actually has TRAILER PARKS within in the city limits. Detroit may be the same as Philly with nice historic architecture. I may be biased, but I'd say the history and architecture, as well as easy access to the ocean (less than an hour's drive to the beach) and only 90 minutes from New York City and Baltimore/Washington, give Philly the edge.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Atlanta does not have as dense a downtown as Philly but I would still argue Atlanta has more architectual wonders (as far as skyscrapers are concerned anyway) they are just spread out alot more. As a fan of modern architecture that is one of the things I enjoy about Atlanta. There are architectual gems all over the place.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/gaskylines/dwntwn5.jpg (broken link)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/gaskylines/dwntwn11.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I said a large Newark as in the buildings are bigger but it has pretty much the same style and feel as Newark especially from street level only it has more surburbs.

Atlanta is not as dense as Philly and may never be but there is more than just surburban sprawl taking place in Atlanta the city center is growing and becoming more dense everyday. City Data list Atlanta's population as only 416,000 that would mean the city has only grown by 2% in the last 8 years. Anyone who has lived in Atlanta during that period knows that can't be correct based on the amount of new residences that have gone up (including highrise condos) and are full. I've seen an estimate somewhere of 456,000 and that was two years ago. I think thats alot more accurate but still short.
I think Newark, and more so Detroit, has a nice mixture of modern and classical architecture.
Atlanta's skyline is no doubt nice, but it reminds me of a bigger JC (nice but spread out):

Google Image Result for http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/newJersey/JerseyCitySkyline2.jpg

Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 AM

Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia-222014458_ee74434dc4.jpg
click to enlarge

Like Atlanta, this skyline would look 'beefier' if it had more building infill.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM

38 posts, read 211,637 times
Philadelphia kills the competition... literally.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM

18 posts, read 112,475 times
Quote:

More like go to detroit if you want to see abandoned, burnt down, rusted, and delapitated buildings.. and yah, i guess some past too.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 PM

4,271 posts, read 7,193,753 times
Quote:

Sorry, but you can't just "build" history or reputation of a city like a skyscraper. Philly is much more cultured city than Atlanta, and I mean that with all due respect -- I mean cultured in the sense that there is a strong past. Atlanta is certainly a city of the future, but for it to attain a level of culture that Philadelphia has, it's going to take a lot more time.

On that same token, it's not like Philly is on the verge of withering up and blowing away. It's a very vibrant city that's also gaining a lot of momentum in development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or