Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would you want to live in, think it's nice..etc. Detroit, Atlanta, or Philadelphia?
Detroit 29 6.97%
Atlanta 164 39.42%
Philadelphia 223 53.61%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
The south has better food than the north, the only thing you guys are known for is Pizza (NY) Cheesesteaks (Philly), and clam chowder (NE) and that doesn't compare to southern food. Let's be real.
yeah, if you want to deep fry your heart. I believe Atlanta was the place where they served deep fried hot dogs with fries on them. outside BBQ, southern food ain't much to write home about. you've obviously enver been to a northern city probably because you;re still fighting the civil war in your heart. let's be real.
oh yea, bo jangles=overrated.
Quote:

Facts, Atlanta is growing, Philly is stagnant, and Detriot is declining.

In reality, If I wanted a decent job, a nice house and an area with less crime, I'll go with Atlanta. Apparently 100,000 plus people thought so last year.
in reality, Philly has all those things.
and hey look, Atlanta is ranked deadlier than Philly.
2009's MOST DEADLIEST CITIES

Last edited by pman; 04-23-2009 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
The south has better food than the north, the only thing you guys are known for is Pizza (NY) Cheesesteaks (Philly), and clam chowder (NE) and that doesn't compare to southern food. Let's be real.

The north has much more than that. The north is known for a number of americanized ethnic dishes. All sorts of italian, greek, jewish, etc eateries that there is an abundance of in a large amount of cities up north. Not to mention all the different types of hog dog and burger places.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:

As for the polls, they really don't mean anything. If it was Savannah vs Atlanta, Savannah would probably have more votes to because some people tend to dislike Atlanta for whatever reason.

In reality, If I wanted a decent job, a nice house and an area with less crime, I'll go with Atlanta. Apparently 100,000 plus people thought so last year.
Who has the best food is completely based off preferences. It's not like all you can get in Philly is a cheesesteak.

And by the way, I'd definitely vote for Savannah over Atlanta...I actually haven't been there before, but I've heard it's very similar to Charleston, SC which is all I needed to hear.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Who has the best food is completely based off preferences. It's not like all you can get in Philly is a cheesesteak.

And by the way, I'd definitely vote for Savannah over Atlanta...I actually haven't been there before, but I've heard it's very similar to Charleston, SC which is all I needed to hear.
Great! So you would vote for a city that you've NEVER experienced - just based on something you've heard. Smart...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The north has much more than that. The north is known for a number of americanized ethnic dishes. All sorts of italian, greek, jewish, etc eateries that there is an abundance of in a large amount of cities up north. Not to mention all the different types of hog dog and burger places.
Now see...I would have thought that Italy was known for Italian dishes, Greece was known for Greek dishes, and Jews living anywhere and everywhere were known for Jewish dishes. Who knew those foods were invented in the northern U.S.!!!

The South has those unique eateries as well...don't think that we're just eating grits and fried green tomatoes down here - or copying what you have there. I wouldn't give either region the upper hand in food, as both areas have unique dishes and eateries that make them special.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Savannah is similar to Charleston, but actually a little nicer, in my opinion. We lived in Hilton Head Island for a while (about 20 minutes from Savannah) and I love the Savannah area. I'd take that over Atlanta ANY day..I agree.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Now see...I would have thought that Italy was known for Italian dishes, Greece was known for Greek dishes, and Jews living anywhere and everywhere were known for Jewish dishes. Who knew those foods were invented in the northern U.S.!!!

The South has those unique eateries as well...don't think that we're just eating grits and fried green tomatoes down here - or copying what you have there. I wouldn't give either region the upper hand in food, as both areas have unique dishes and eateries that make them special.
1- I said AMERICANIZED ethnic dishes
2- I never said the south didn't have unique dishes.
I was replying to somebody that stated that the north was only known for a couple of things.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Great! So you would vote for a city that you've NEVER experienced - just based on something you've heard. Smart...
Well I have experienced Atlanta several times...so I don't have an unfounded opinion of the city (I like Atlanta by the way). I have experienced Charleston several times, which I absolutely loved. I never had the opportunity to make it to Savannah, however all my friends down South who I talked with about the city said "If you loved Charleston, you'll absolutely love Savannah".

When I was a little kid, in coloring books there were sometimes pages where I would have to connect the dots to create a picture...so after experiencing a place I loved, then I listening to the opinions of close friends who insist the cities are very similar, I took a page from my childhood and was able to connect the...well you obviously know what I'm getting at since you're obviously smarter than me, which is why you attempt to pick apart every post I make on this website.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Like most things, I think this whole Atlanta vs. Philly thing comes down to individual preferences. Also, I'm wondering what some of the specifics are in comparing the two.

For example, are we including the suburban areas of each city? If so, that changes things a bit.

One of my best friends moved to Atlanta way back just before it "boomed". He was just married and wanted to start a family, and suburban Atlanta was perfect for him. He bought a huge beautiful home for 100's of thousands less than it would have cost in suburban Philly. He is in the landscape business and had more opportunity there because of the longer season. For him, Atlanta was the way to go.

I have been to both Philly and Atlanta. I would choose Philly. The seasons are a little better (Philly's winters aren't that bad), Philly is close to the Jersey Shore and Atlantic City, and Philly's suburbs in South Jersey are nicer, to me, than the Atlanta suburbs, as nice as the Atlanta suburbs are.

When I went to Atlanta for work, I was in Dunwoody, and it was very nice, but nothing different. Malls, shopping, same big-box and retail, same chain restaurants as everywhere else. It was easy and comfortable to live there and spend time there but nothing unique or interesting. When I tried to venture out of Dunwoody I had to wait until well after rush hour or else sit in over an hour of traffic (more if I were going downtown).

When I finally got downtown it was rather desolate, rather seedy, and while there were some restaurants and clubs, it wasn't anything I'd expect from a BIG city. When I went downtown during the daytime I discovered that there wasn't a whole lot other than CNN (no interest in that), Coke (which disappointed - not a whole lot different than visiting the Coca-Cola in Vegas), and Centennial Park. It's nice, but honestly not enough for what I think a big city should offer. I DID miss the "underground Atlanta" stuff and THAT looks interesting, and I wish I had seen it. But I don't know if that would have been enough to compensate for what was lacking in Atlanta.

I went to Buckhead, and it was snooty and was like watching people try to act like what they see in movies and TV, and the bars were overpriced. Everything was overpriced. And I found it odd that their "club" district is in a "nice" or more upper class section of town, whereas in NY, NJ, and other places the clubs tend to be away from the nicer areas, sometimes in outright seedy areas. Buckhead felt artifical and contrived and very forced, to me, almost like the Disney version of a "nightclub" area. And you're not downtown - that scene should be downtown in a big city. It just didn't work for me.

Philly is much more what I want in a city. It's a more influential city with a larger metro area so by nature of its size it's bound to have more to offer. It's a more historic city. It has deeper history, it's more walkable than Atlanta, it's more colorful. It does have very crappy parts and some pretty bad decay. That's the downside of Philly. It also has some beautiful areas and new building and landscaping. The suburbs are wonderful, especially in Jersey (OK, maybe I'm biased). You can jet out of Philly by car and be in Atlantic City or on the beach in Margate in 1.5 hours. In the winter, you can drive up a couple hours into the Poconos and go skiing. You can shoot a couple hours south to hit up either Baltimore or D.C. And again, the history - it's neat to walk a cobblestone street or visit a building from the Revolutionary War times, and to see all the old governmental buildings and the Liberty Bell. It's just a really great city.

And I grew up being very biased against Philly, being from North Jersey. It was always North vs. South Jersey, which is an extension of NY vs. Philly. And I still loathe the Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers, and I don't like the Sixers (but I don't loathe them). Atlanta, I have never had a hatred for, I just never really thought much about it. When I started traveling there I formed my opinion. To be honest, after going a few times, whenever they told me I had to go to Atlanta I was disappointed because there was nothing for me to look forward to in going there. Nothing. Nothing I couldn't do at home and nothing of particular interest. It's not like when they'd send me to other places where I had something to look forward to - the food in New Mexico, the desert in Phoenix, the beach in Florida, cheesesteaks in Philly, the Cascades in Seattle, the barbecue in Kansas City, the everything in Vegas, the "Elvis" and barbecue of Memphis...everywhere had its own little "hook" to make me happy to go there, but Atlanta did NOT. Really, nothing unique about it.

So I think it's natural people are going to appreciate Philly much more. It's a bigger metro area, it's more unique, there's more close-by, it's more historic, but it has a charachter that attracts visitors which Atlanta really lacks.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,698 times
Quote:

As for the polls, they really don't mean anything. If it was Savannah vs Atlanta, Savannah would probably have more votes to because some people tend to dislike Atlanta for whatever reason.

it does not matter how much the atlanta metro has grown because it still has fewer people than philly

also, considering that atlanta is just one huge sprawl and counts people that are FFAARR away from Atlanta

philly metro pop = 6,385,461 in 5,118 sq. mi.
atlanta metro pop = 5,626,400 in 8,376 sq. mi.

So, Atlanta has 700,000 less people and has 3,200 more sq feet

Nice SPRAWL atlanta

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-23-2009 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City