Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 07:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect100 View Post
LA blows Filthy away in every corner.
Was "Filthy" supposed to equal "Philly"? If so, way to blow that delivery. I would have went with something like "Philthy".

I mean, if you're going to have lazy generalized opinions, at least don't be lazy in your delivery of the relevant insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The drive is a big part of things. If you leave Center City at 5pm on Friday in July, it will take a while. But I can leave at 9am on a Saturday and hit very little traffic, speeding along at 70 mph, even at the height of beach season. It makes access reasonable. Now, if you could only do an average of 35 - 40 mph the whole way regardless of time, access would suck.
Right, it's definitely great that Philadelphia has that access. However, there is a difference in the beach being about 60 miles away from downtown and less than 20 miles away from downtown. Plus, much of LA's urban core is actually on the Westside even closer or abutting the beach. It's definitely not like South Philly or Chestnut Hill are next to the beach.

It'd also be perhaps helpful if the trains to the beach from Center City were somewhat frequent.

Certainly where Philadelphia wins are the old towns nearby and the traditional downtown and urban neighborhoods.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That type of scenery is actually a pretty small percentage of LA metro beaches overall. Most of LA County's beaches, basically between Santa Monica/Venice down to Huntington Beach with the exception of the Palos Verdes penninsula is pretty flat and featureless. Malibu northward or Newport Beach southward are nice and scenic. A lot of LA County and some OC beaches aren't really that great, at least compared to the rest of the SoCal coast like South OC and San Diego County. A good chunk of LA's coast is too industrial imo.
No matter how you dissect the LA beach scene, its beautiful imo and you just can't compare the two as far as the beach. Millions of people here have access to the beach without getting stuck on a freeway including myself. Sometimes after work I meet friends for happy hour, have dinner, ride my bike, watch the sunset, walk along the shore or take a dip. You can catch public transportation to the beach whether its lightrail or bus which run 24hrs a day from DTLA to Santa Monica and Venice. In Philadelphia you simply don't have that.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, it's definitely great that Philadelphia has that access. However, there is a difference in the beach being about 60 miles away from downtown and less than 20 miles away from downtown. Plus, much of LA's urban core is actually on the Westside even closer or abutting the beach. It's definitely not like South Philly or Chestnut Hill are next to the beach.

It'd also be perhaps helpful if the trains to the beach from Center City were somewhat frequent.

Certainly where Philadelphia wins are the old towns nearby and the traditional downtown and urban neighborhoods.
No issue with any of this. Although the beach being this close is a real benefit to consider when moving here IMO. Not #1 or #2, but maybe #7 or 8 on the list of important things, depending on the person.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:59 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
No matter how you dissect the LA beach scene, its beautiful imo and you just can't compare the two as far as the beach. Millions of people here have access to the beach without getting stuck on a freeway including myself. Sometimes after work I meet friends for happy hour, have dinner, ride my bike, watch the sunset, walk along the shore or take a dip. You can catch public transportation to the beach whether its lightrail or bus which run 24hrs a day from DTLA to Santa Monica and Venice. In Philadelphia you simply don't have that.
Sure as long as you ignore the smokestacks and sigh of offshore oil rigs in some places...

Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Sure as long as you ignore the smokestacks and sigh of offshore oil rigs in some places...
Give me the miles of LA beaches over two Philadelphia rivers.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You have the option of going to other beaches besides the working port area.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You have the option of going to other beaches besides the working port area.
Yes I'm aware hence why I said "in some places". I was thinking actually of places like El Segundo with the water treatment plant, power plant, and refineries adjacent to the beach, not the port area. You can see off-shore oil rigs from Huntington Beach which is a good distance away from the port.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm aware hence why I said "in some places". I was thinking actually of places like El Segundo with the water treatment plant, power plant, and refineries adjacent to the beach, not the port area. You can see off-shore oil rigs from Huntington Beach which is a good distance away from the port.
While I think LA’s zoning has been terrible and has allowed sprawl into hills, waterfronts, and other parts, this is still a comparison thread. Yes, there are several parts of LA’s waterfront that are very industrial or plain ugly, but it’s a fairly short trip to go to one of the better beaches rather than the industrial area than it generally is for someone in Philadelphia to get to the beach (though as stated before, that traffic if driving from afar in LA can be horrendous).

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-28-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
While I think LA’s zoning has been terrible and has allowed sprawl into hills, waterfronts, and other parts, this is still a comparison thread. Yes, there are several parts of LA’s waterfront that are very industrial or plain ugly, but it’s a fairly short trip to go to one of the better beaches rather than the industrial area than it generally is for someone in Philadelphia to get to the beach (though as stated before, that traffic if driving from afar in LA can be horrendous).
Ok? I never claimed otherwise. I was simply pointing out how much of LA's coast isn't "rocky cliffs overlooking the beaches" and that some areas are rather industrial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City