Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect100 View Post
LA blows Filthy away in every corner.
You sound like a couple of the goofballs that I met out in the Valley many years ago. They kept telling me how awesome it must be for me to move from the repugnant east coast to the Valley.

The whole time I had to try and keep a straight face. I told them you know that little unique 5 sq mi neighborhood you call Beverly Hills? Well we have 3 suburban counties (,Bucks,Chester,Montgomery along with NW Philadelphia County ) that encompass 1500 sq miles that Beverly Hills tried to replicate . Now would you kindly point me to the nearest shade tree cause this sun feels like 1000 degrees and the vultures are hovering overhead waiting for me to keel over .

Philadephia vs LA is reality vs illusion.Underrated vs overrated. Humility vs Pretentiousness. Intense vs indifference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ct73XWjXEAAcL7W.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8481/8...902da3b6_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...47488000_n.jpg

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram...82061056_n.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 08:12 PM

49 posts, read 42,775 times
Sounds like you're the one who is delusional. Vultures in LA? What?

Beverly Hills isn't just 5 sq miles and it's only one part of wealthy LA, which is massive in land area. I've been to that part of Philly's burbs. It's not like Beverly Hills at all Please. Do you want to compare real estate values or shopping/hotels/restaurants between the two?

That other guy was right. There's just more Philly posters here spouting their nonsense than LA people defending.

LA city and the metro area offer far more than Philly. Philly is more traditionally urban and historic but that's about it.

Last edited by Pulpcity; 09-28-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by respect100 View Post
LA blows Filthy away in every corner.
Lol. Immature much?

I gotta disagree with you. LA is nice but SUPER overrated.

Philadelphia has a ton of charm. Not only in the city but in the suburbs.

LA has no answer to Center City Philadelphia.

Chestnut Hill is one of THE NICEST neighborhoods within a city I have ever seen in the US

The Benjamin Franklin Parkway is very European/Parisian.

Society Hill is uber charming. So is Rittenhouse Square. So is Fairmount.

The Victorian neighborhood of Spruce Hill kicks ass.

The Wissahickon gorge is extremely naturally beautiful.

And Philadelphia's kick-ass-ness extend into the suburbs as well. There are super-cool, walkable, suburban towns like Ardmore, Media, West Chester, Doylestown, Collingswood, etc. etc.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpcity View Post
Sounds like you're delusional. Vultures in LA? What?

Beverly Hills isn't just 5 sq miles and it's only one part of wealthy LA, which is massive in land area. I've been to that part of Philly's burbs. It's not like Beverly Hills at all Please. Do you want to compare real estate values or shopping/hotels/restaurants between the two?

That other guy was right. There's just more Philly posters here spouting their nonsense than LA people defending.
Hmm... have you been to the Main Line? It's actually pretty similar to Beverly Hills. The Main Line is a very wealthy stretch of suburbs. The Main Line includes several towns: Merion Station, Penn Wynne, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bala Cynwyd, Narberth, Penn Valley, Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor and Wayne.

Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Narberth and Wayne are especially cool, as they all have walkable, "Downtown" areas.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you're the one who is delusional. Vultures in LA? What?
I lived out in the Valley on the edge of Angeles National Forest. The vultures would fly out of the canyon down to the Valley trying to find some sun scorched lunch. All the neighbors had sand or stones in the front yard in place of grass. It was like Albuquerque minus the cacti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpcity
LA city and the metro area offer far more than Philly.
Dont be daft. I will give accolades to the epic coastal areas of Southern Cal and Beverly Hills is nice but on the whole the majority of people in the Philadlephia region live in better, nicer areas than its LA brethren. Its just a nicer region to live.

LA is for the super rich to enjoy. Philly region lends itself much better for your average family.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:34 PM

Yup.

I traveled down route 30. I liked it, it was cool.
It's not like Beverly Hills though.
Beverly Hills has one of the most luxurious shopping areas in the world.
There's only a few places in the entire country that match Beverly Hills real estate.

Again, LA's wealthy areas go far beyond Beverly Hills. It's basically the entire area around the Santa Monica Mountains/Hollywood Hills.
If you ever been there, it's pretty clear to see.

I think Philly's wealthy suburban areas probably compare better with south orange county or something.

Last edited by Pulpcity; 09-28-2017 at 08:44 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I lived out in the Valley on the edge of Angeles National Forest. The vultures would fly out of the canyon down to the Valley trying to find some sun scorched lunch. All the neighbors had sand or stones in the front yard in place of grass. It was like Albuquerque minus the cacti

Dont be daft. I will give accolades to the epic coastal areas of Southern Cal and Beverly Hills is nice but on the whole the majority of people in the Philadlephia region live in better, nicer areas than its LA brethren. Its just a nicer region to live.

LA is for the super rich to enjoy. Philly region lends itself much better for your average family.
So the fact you lived way out on the edge of the Valley (which is the burbs basically), the rest of the Valley is like that? You can't be serious. You 're talking about an area probably 15-20 miles away from downtown, next to a rugged mountain range. That's not a typical place for Angelenos to live in. Yet you're trying to act like it is.

I'm sure alot of places are better to live for the average person than LA. Same is true for NYC and SF. It doesn't make Philly a better city. You don't have to be super rich to enjoy Socal either . Where are these claims coming from?

I like downtown Philly and would probably back for vacation. But don't make things for your arguement.

Last edited by Pulpcity; 09-28-2017 at 08:48 PM..

Old 09-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Yup.

I traveled down route 30. I liked it, it was cool.

It's not like Beverly Hills though.
Beverly Hills has one of the most luxurious shopping areas in the world.
There's only a few places in the entire country that match Beverly Hills real estate.

Philly obviously doesnt have LA's Star Power or Money but King of Prussia probably is as close to B.H. to any place in the USA as far as upscale shopping goes . The fact that its a Mall is a travesty but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpcity
I think Philly's wealthy suburban areas probably compare better with south orange county or something.
No good. Lower Merion(Main Line) has the 5th highest per capita income of any town in the USA population over 60,000. Its legit upscale.

Chester,Montgomery,Bucks County are Top 50 Wealthiest Counties in USA(2.5 M population). There are over 3200 counties in the USA. These suburban counties of Philadelphia are the real deal.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Ugh

Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philly obviously doesnt have LA's Star Power or Money but King of Prussia probably is as close to B.H. to any place in the USA as far as upscale shopping goes . The fact that its a Mall is a travesty but I digress.

No good. Lower Merion(Main Line) has the 5th highest per capita income of any town in the USA population over 60,000. Its legit upscale.

Chester,Montgomery,Bucks County are Top 50 Wealthiest Counties in USA(2.5 M population). There are over 3200 counties in the USA. These suburban counties of Philadelphia are the real deal.
Have you heard of South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa? I don't even know if King of Prussia is equal to that.
In addition to the Beverly Hills Triangle, LA metro has 4 out of the 10 most upscale shopping malls in America.
Santa Monica Place, Beverly Center, the Grove and South Coast Plaza.

I didn't say anything about income. I mentioned real estate value, which Beverly Hills/West LA has few peers.

I'm from one of the wealthiest counties in the country, by per capita income. But it doesn't really have areas like Beverly Hills or Bel Air.

It's not the same thing.

Last edited by Pulpcity; 09-28-2017 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City