Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times

Advertisements

Some snaps in my catalogue from Philly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Those first four remind me of LA

Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCurry View Post
Yes if we're talking strictly urban you go Philly, But that's exactly what i said made Los Angeles unique.It's diversity.

Outside of Downtown Philly,what's left to see ?

Obviously outside of Downtown Los Angeles you still have a gigantic world to explore.

I've lived in both for nearly half of my life. Half in Philly, Half in LA., or nearly half if you count a few pit stops inbetween in ATL, NYC for a year here or 6 months there & so on.
They are two entirely different places, as SF & the Bay area is to SoCal...,but even more so since one is an historical eastern city. It all comes down to preference, and I love them both, but prefer Philadelphia at this particular season of my life. If anyone had asked me 15-20 years ago would I ever leave Cali, it would've been a unanimous " No." As time goes on, preferences and priorities change.

There's no Disneylands or Universal Studios in town, nor beaches and palm trees in town nor the type of scenic views you'd find in LA.... , but you're not gonna find that stuff in most other places either. Make no mistake, Philly's no slouch, cause there's plenty to do. It still will depend on individual preference such as age, cultural background, and personal like & dislikes. I love the actual change of seasons, fall in Philly has always been a favorite of mine. 137 sq. Miles isn't as big as 454 sq. Miles, but it really is big enough and you can walk miles & miles in more than a few sections of the city uninterrupted.... Along that walk will be many, many, stores, restaurants, and other businesses that open early and closes late. Being from West Philly, we had most of what we needed within our section of town. If you wanted to do some better shipping or have more of a variety to shop and eat, see different cultures of people from outside your area, then you would head to Center City. You may have family in another section that you would frequent, maybe date someone from a different section from that one, but there were still other city sections and a few hundred neighborhoods.

I " Still" have not seen every neighborhood in town, I still get kinda lost up in Germantown, Northeast, and South Philly... There are some great restaurants, shopping, and night life spots, outside of Center City. I absolutely love Northeast Philly, ( Most posters in the Philly forums seem to have a problem with it.) I love the many cultures of Brazilians, Dominicans, Pureto Ricans, Polish, Germans, Jamaicans, Mexicans, Indians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodians, Africans, etc;. and there are restaurants and night spots, as well as grocery stores, businesses, and houses of worship for each of the ethnicities represented. I like the homes., both attached, semi-detached, and separate. Large green lawns, big back yards, and pools, great parks, and good public schools..( mileage may vary there...on the school front.) But I really adore the area and the people I've met there since returning to town nearly a few years ago.

I've been to at least half a dozen events on the various yatchs on the Delaware & Schukyll Rivers. There's ferrys from Penn's Landing from the city to Jersey, and concerts and events outdoors from April to October.. There's outdoor events in the winter and early spring too, but ate usually winters themed... Such as ice skating, and holiday programs.

I love our accents, the pace we move ( including not waiting for lights and Jay walking instead.) I prefer the 24 Hr. Public Transportation options, the square parks throughout the city and watching the people play chess/checkers/dominos and just hanging out..etc;.

Going to the beach isn't much different than traveling from outside the LA core to the Beach Cities.. Those whom reside in areas north of the Valley or up in Valencia & Stevenson Ranch, or East of Downtown. Milage isn't too far off in comparison, especially travel time.. They're usually equal., or longer for LA area residents.

There's a few other things, but they are just overall different and comparisons can be made for either or. I love LA, great city. Probably preferd by most world wide on a personal basis. Rightly so.

Nothing personal to anyone or any other culture. As an African-American who's part Puerto Rican, I prefer the east coast, and Philadelphia inparticular. Close to 700,000 AA within the city limits alone, as well as the 22nd largest PR population within city limits in the US.
I'm happy to be home, and able to stop in the bodegas, eat really good soul food ( when I choose to eat like that) as well as some great Rican or Dominican dishes from the many places to eat. Or the grocery stores & Spanish Markets that sell it, so we can cook it at home. lol

I love Latinas dearly, but my preference, are my Boriqua, sisters and out here there's never even a second look when we're out & about....My neighborhood like many others in Philly, are a true mixture of our interactions and intermarriages. Trust me, after 20 plus years I know there's nothing in LA that matches that or comes close...( In THIS particular context)

Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCurry View Post
Los Angeles is amongst the top 5 most known cities on this planet.

Whenever i see fashion ads about London or Paris i see Los Angeles and New York also.It's because those cities are in high demand around the world.

People around the world dream of going to 2 places to make it = New York or Los Angeles "

Remember that movie coming to America ? Eddie murphy had to flip a coin because he couldn't pick which city to visit between the 2 powerhouses lol

Why do you think there's literally over 1000+ threads on here about NYC vs LA ?

Los Angeles is forever compared to New York like Magic to Bird - Jordan to Kobe - Red to Blue

And ps - London is the financial capital.
You're glazing over my point. I know LA is a global city, and #2 in the USA, but the power and influence of NYC on from a global standpoint puts it in a level above LA. There are about 5-7 cities in that top global tier. Then You have LA and a group of others right below. Then Chicago is our #3.

And London and NYC go back and forth every year at the "captial of the world" so no London is not the financial capital, it might be in 2017, but 2018 will be NYC, then London again.

Regardless of the power, I don't think that makes a city better or worse then another. A city could have 10M people or 1M people, but the unique offerings of each city appeal to different people. I always love visiting LA but I am so happy to come back to NYC/PHL due to the atmosphere and cityscape.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
From Lenses & Lights:

Going to the beach isn't much different than traveling from outside the LA core to the Beach Cities.. Those whom reside in areas north of the Valley or up in Valencia & Stevenson Ranch, or East of Downtown. Milage isn't too far off in comparison, especially travel time.. They're usually equal., or longer for LA area residents.

Your post was good until you got to this false beach thing. Millions of people live in the Los Angeles area that have easy access to the area beaches. It sits on the Pacific Ocean. I for one can leave my job in Beverly Hills and head to the beach for drinks, dinner, watch the sunset, take a dip, jog or look for seashells. You can not do that in Philadelphia. You talk about far out suburban areas. What about suburbs like Pottstown PA? How long would it take those people to get to the beaches? A city that sits on the ocean and one 60+ miles away are two different things in my book. Two different ways of life.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
From Lenses & Lights:

Your post was good until you got to this false beach thing. Millions of people live in the Los Angeles area that have easy access to the area beaches. It sits on the Pacific Ocean. I for one can leave my job in Beverly Hills and head to the beach for drinks, dinner, watch the sunset, take a dip, jog or look for seashells. You can not do that in Philadelphia. You talk about far out suburban areas. What about suburbs like Pottstown PA? How long would it take those people to get to the beaches? A city that sits on the ocean and one 60+ miles away are two different things in my book. Two different ways of life.

You can do that if you live by the shore. You can also do that if you live in a place like Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, Glassboro, etc.

Also, Center City, Philadelphia to the shore is about an hour. I wouldn't say you can necessarily go there after work from Center City, or King of Prussia, or Ardmore, or Pottstown... but it's an easy weekend getaway for sure.

Not exactly the same lifestyle, but they offer similar things.

Just like, you can SORT OF get a car-free lifestyle living in Downtown LA, but you really can't. You need a car in LA - it's unrealistic not to have one.

You can easily live car-free in Center City/Core Philadelphia.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You can do that if you live by the shore. You can also do that if you live in a place like Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, Glassboro, etc.

Also, Center City, Philadelphia to the shore is about an hour. I wouldn't say you can necessarily go there after work from Center City, or King of Prussia, or Ardmore, or Pottstown... but it's an easy weekend getaway for sure.

Not exactly the same lifestyle, but they offer similar things.

Just like, you can SORT OF get a car-free lifestyle living in Downtown LA, but you really can't. You need a car in LA - it's unrealistic not to have one.

You can easily live car-free in Center City/Core Philadelphia.
What do you mean SORT OF IN DTLA? Of course you can. I know so many people that do. Please tell me why you couldn't. Lets see. It has grocery stores, which btw has one of the most profitable Ralphs in the state. Whole Foods is a hit too. It has book stores, great restaurants, an array of cultural amenities, great public transportation, professional sports, great nightlife, libraries, parks, major shopping. Plus it's growing. Plus you can go to the beach on public transportation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:49 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What do you mean SORT OF IN DTLA? Of course you can. I know so many people that do. Please tell me why you couldn't. Lets see. It has grocery stores, which btw has one of the most profitable Ralphs in the state. Whole Foods is a hit too. It has book stores, great restaurants, an array of cultural amenities, great public transportation, professional sports, great nightlife, libraries, parks, major shopping. Plus it's growing. Plus you can go to the beach on public transportation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
You can get to the beach on public transit too from Center City, Philadelphia via the NJ Transit Atlantic City line. You can also get to NYC, PHL International Airport, Newark International Airport, Boston, Baltimore, DC, New Haven CT, Hartford CT, Providence RI, Wilmington DE, Newark DE, West Philly, North Philly, Northeast Philly, Northwest Philly, South Philly, Sports Complex, Main Line, other PA burbs, other NJ burbs, etc. etc... pretty much anywhere you want to go.

Yes, you can live a car-free lifestyle in DTLA to a certain extent. For a young professional, young couple, singles, etc.... no problem. I get there are bars, restaurants, nightlife, museums, theaters, condos, apartments, offices, hotels, sports arenas, etc... all this is available in Center City Philadelphia too.

But, what about parks? There are not many great parks in DTLA. Can a family live in DTLA, and buy a condo or a townhome/home/walk-up/rowhome and still be within walking distance to everything? Walk their kids to school every day? Where are the pre-schools, elementary schools and high schools? Day cares? Is it easy to have a dog in DTLA? Where are the vets? Where are the good parks to live next to to take your dog out in the morning and at night to go to the bathroom? Where are the dog parks where you can let them off-leash to run around? Can a college student live in DTLA and walk to university or take public transit easily there? Where are the home goods stores? Hardware stores? Can I live Downtown, walk to get a new t-shirt and shorts, and then walk to get a new tailored suit? Stop at the pet store to grab some dog food, treats and toys for my dog? Then stop off and get lunch before stopping in the hardware store to get some screws? Then go upstairs, get my dog and take her out to the park?

Yes, you COULD have a car-free lifestyle in DTLA to a certain extent... but it's not to the same level and not as easily/readily doable as it is in Center City/Core Philadelphia. There is just not the same level of amenities and accessibility to other areas as there is available to all sorts of different lifestyles and households as is available in Center City.... just like, yes, you can sort of have a similar lifestyle to the LA lifestyle in the Philadelphia area, but not to the same extent and not as easily doable as going to the beach after work.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 11-13-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
You can get to the beach on public transit too from Center City, Philadelphia via the NJ Transit Atlantic City line. You can also get to NYC, PHL International Airport, Newark International Airport, Boston, Baltimore, DC, New Haven CT, Hartford CT, Providence RI, Wilmington DE, Newark DE, West Philly, North Philly, Northeast Philly, Northwest Philly, South Philly, Sports Complex, Main Line, other PA burbs, other NJ burbs, etc. etc... pretty much anywhere you want to go.

Yes, you can live a car-free lifestyle in DTLA to a certain extent. For a young professional, young couple, singles, etc.... no problem. I get there are bars, restaurants, nightlife, museums, theaters, condos, apartments, offices, hotels, sports arenas, etc... all this is available in Center City Philadelphia too.

But, what about parks? There are not many great parks in DTLA. Can a family live in DTLA, and buy a condo or a townhome/home/walk-up/rowhome and still be within walking distance to everything? Walk their kids to school every day? Where are the pre-schools, elementary schools and high schools? Day cares? Is it easy to have a dog in DTLA? Where are the vets? Where are the good parks to live next to to take your dog out in the morning and at night to go to the bathroom? Where are the dog parks where you can let them off-leash to run around? Can a college student live in DTLA and walk to university or take public transit easily there? Where are the home goods stores? Hardware stores? Can I live Downtown, walk to get a new t-shirt and shorts, and then walk to get a new tailored suit? Stop at the pet store to grab some dog food, treats and toys for my dog? Then stop off and get lunch before stopping in the hardware store to get some screws? Then go upstairs, get my dog and take her out to the park?

Yes, you COULD have a car-free lifestyle in DTLA to a certain extent... but it's not to the same level and not as easily/readily doable as it is in Center City/Core Philadelphia. There is just not the same level of amenities and accessibility to other areas as there is available to all sorts of different lifestyles and households as is available in Center City.... just like, yes, you can sort of have a similar lifestyle to the LA lifestyle in the Philadelphia area, but not to the same extent and not as easily doable as going to the beach after work.
That NJ Transit trainline has a pretty limited schedule. It’s great that it exists, but its frequency is undeniably low and LA is far more beach oriented as a city and metro than Philadelphia is. I do recall the waters in South Jersey being warmer in the summer than that of LA’s beaches which I preferred.

Totally in agreement that Center City is more conducive to car-free living and that neighborhoods around Center City are also more conducive to that than areas around downtown LA. I think that’s a really attractive plus for me and Philadelphia has better bones to work with in terms of expanding that area of pleasant walkable living out into a massive core. DTLA is rapidly changing though and it’s not impossible to imagine it as a great downtown in the near future. There have been a couple of major park improvements in recent times with Grand Park and Los Angeles Historic State Park along with ongoing improvements on its river front. However, it did lose its fantastic hillside Angels Knoll as well.

LA is overall pretty bad in terms of parks though. The massively populated basin area where the densest neighborhoods sit are fairly slim when it comes to good park space and oftentimes a good chunk of that limited parkspace is used for parking lots for the park.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-13-2017 at 04:27 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Could you live a car free lifestyle in downtown Los Angeles? Of course you could. Everything you mentioned can be done in DTLA. Couples with children do live downtown. There are many many dog owners downtown along with a giant Petco and other pet stores. There are parks, playgrounds. We have the Fashion Institute of Merchandising and Design. USC is a half a mile south of downtown with easy access by rail, bus or walking. You can buy suits, tees, household goods. You can go to the movies. Everything you mentioned can be easily done in DTLA. Why you keep thinking it can't is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City