Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Disagree 100%. I live in Center City and just sold my car. My life is instantly better without one.

Granted, we still keep one car for when we want to get out of the city, visit our families, etc.... but man I don't miss it one bit.

Sooo, definitely depends where you're living.
Center city is nice but way to small to satisfy every need or want for variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:25 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I'm way to impulsive for that. To get to a restaurant across town, head to a beach or venue without having to rely on transit. Weekend trips etc etc etc
This thing called rideshare started up a few years ago. You should try it.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

not to mention car share programs plus many weekend getaways on the EC are easily done by train but there are car services for others.

I have a car but only use when leaving the city, I go many days without using my car with ease. Using the car is more difficult in the city

but again people all have their preferences

LA is awesome with a ton to do, it doesn't have the core of Philly in the urban sense but (is urban) the city (LA) has so much to offer these two are different but I personally love them both, think many would prefer LA but many might also prefer Philly

SLO is a long time quasi Philly hater so generally expect those types of comments especially if it involves Cali or even moreso SF. Maybe even San Louis Obisbo

Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Thank goodness there’s more than just Center City in Philadelphia

Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Yep, you're a hater haha. Center City offers everything you could want for a car free lifestyle for every kind of person. Single, young couple, young professional, college student, young family, empty nester, retiree, straight, gay, white, black, Asian, middle eastern, Hispanic... doesn't matter.

We have that car-dependent LA like lifestyle too, it's called the suburbs.

You could also try Northwest or Northeast Philly.

The Main Line will give you a Northeast style LA-like vibe. Suburban areas, mansions, and urban, walkable areas all mixed together.

You want beach town living? No problem, Philly area's got that covered.

You can find pretty much any lifestyle you want in the Philadelphia region with relative ease. Stop acting like LA is so unique and different.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM

I think what I like most about LA is its sizable beachfront secondary urban center with Santa Monica and Venice. Those are really walkable and urban.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Thank goodness there’s more than just Center City in Philadelphia

Right! That's why I need a car!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Ewww, I don't want to ride with any dirty strangers!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Right! That's why I need a car!
Quote:
Ewww, I don't want to ride with any dirty strangers!
I’m considering going back to LA some time in the future because of family and I’m hoping this mentality ebbs substantially by that time. It’s probably why I’m so willfully optimistic about the urban core and transit in the region improving a decade or two from now.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Yep, you're a hater haha. Center City offers everything you could want for a car free lifestyle for every kind of person. Single, young couple, young professional, college student, young family, empty nester, retiree, straight, gay, white, black, Asian, middle eastern, Hispanic... doesn't matter.

We have that car-dependent LA like lifestyle too, it's called the suburbs.

You could also try Northwest or Northeast Philly.

The Main Line will give you a Northeast style LA-like vibe. Suburban areas, mansions, and urban, walkable areas all mixed together.

You want beach town living? No problem, Philly area's got that covered.

You can find pretty much any lifestyle you want in the Philadelphia region with relative ease. Stop acting like LA is so unique and different.

Not hating at all, but center city is not that large. So after a while ya gotta venture out!
That's all fine 'n dandy, but LA is a monster and is unique especially compared to east coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City