Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,716,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Too bad you didn't read what I wrote. I wrote that NYS does not have any power in NYC, how can you say it can't be further from the truth? NYS doesn't even provide any services here, everything is either operated or financed by the city. Everything from libraries, to sewers, to roads, to water supply, to jails, to taxes is operated by the city. We do not have any county governments here as well.
your criteria is true for every city. I don't know of too many state run libraries, sewers, water authorities, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I don't get the point of this thread all your definition of unbalanced seems to be a state with only 1 metro. We all know which states have 1 metro and which have many so what is the purpose of this discussion?
Sort of, but most likely getting complications out in the open. Example being tax burdens of Upstate New York in cities like Buffalo, Rochester, & Syracuse versus New York City.

Also states that are like New York, it has other Metropolitan Areas that are easily classified as large but garner little to no attention due to the monster that is located in the Southern tip of the state.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
your criteria is true for every city. I don't know of too many state run libraries, sewers, water authorities, etc.
Not true at all. Even Chicago has a county government and the county runs the jails there, not the city. In New York State the mayor of NYC (Bloomberg) is actually a more powerful position than the state governor (Paterson).

Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM

I was talking about NY.... and county is not relevant in this discussion anyways. Counties are not STATE authorities. We are talking about states vs metropolitan areas.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
I was talking about NY.... and county is not relevant in this discussion anyways. Counties are not STATE authorities. We are talking about states vs metropolitan areas.
If you're from upstate you should know that defacto the city sets your tax rate not the state. Even if you live in Buffalo.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:49 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Alabama has a nice balance of mid sized metros.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times

PA is quite possibly the most balanced state.

Texas and Cali also seem to be well balanced.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. In Upstate NY, the cities provide the same type of services and same with the services counties provide. Outside of taxes, NYC's influence isn't as big as people might think it is.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
If you're from upstate you should know that defacto the city sets your tax rate not the state. Even if you live in Buffalo.
state has everything to do with taxes. Many of the taxes come from unfunded mandates that the city has no control over.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
As many on here know, I'm not really a fanatic for "states" or "regions" and don't really see much use for them. I'm mainly just an advocate for cities & metropolitan areas in which case I find them to be far more useful.

But I'm going to go ahead and make a thread either way on states this time. -- What are the most balanced & unbalanced states that you can think of?
- What are some problems with balanced & unbalanced states?
- What are some of the benefits of living in that type of state?
- What are some of the disadvantages of living in that type of state?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
My answer: I've got two states and both are good examples of one or the other. Illinois is very unbalanced, with the bulk if the states population resting in Chicagoland. Illinois outside of Chicagoland is pretty conservative but its a overwhelming Blue state because of the presence of Chicagoland. Economically Chicagoland practically runs the state.

So its fair to say that policies, influence, power, & control in Illinois are unbalanced and come only from one point in the state.

With Texas now (my other state) its pretty balanced. No city or metropolitan area controls majority of the states power, influence, policies, & control. It's very balanced in that regard. Houston & Dallas-Fort Worth are pretty much the same size. Austin & San Antonio and their surrounding areas are about matchable with Houston & Dallas-Fort Worth and then South Texas & West Texas are pretty balanced as well. Everything checks out.

Another balanced state (probably the most balanced state in the United States) would be Ohio. All of Ohio's major cities/Metropolitan Area are in the same population & economical range. Columbus, Cincinnati, & Cleveland are all between 1.8 Million to 2.3 Million people (same range) and $91 Billion to $101 Billion (same range) in economic output (GDP). One financial center (Cleveland), one political center (Columbus), & one corporate center (Cincinnati).

What are some examples you can think of and how it affects a state? Please answer questions above in bold.
Just out of curisoity, did you used to be OmShahi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City