Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Gross Domestic Product/Economic Output (GDP) really the best way to measure a metropolitan area (
Yes 9 52.94%
No 6 35.29%
Other 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I find this to be completely uninformed. I for one wish ill-economic will on no place or any person!. My only points have been that DC's vast majority of success in recent times is direct/indirectly related to the growth and consolidation in our federal gov't, to not acknowledge this is rediculous. Other areas have benefitted from great assets, this is a benefit to the area. My only issue is that all of us have to pay for this, the gov't complex is spending beyond it's means, and when much of the development is a result it leaves a bad taste in that perspective, though none is directed at any indicdual or collection of indivuals, just it being thrust in peoples faces, especially when vbasically every other place is under deress and ultimately we all get the bill it does get old pretty quick

Well I guess tmac9wr can now figure out one of the culprits. I'm not one to call specific posters out, but since you put yourself out there, I can remember multiple times when you have wished ill on D.C. You said now that the republicans have taken control, D.C.'s booming will come to an end and will feel the effects by massive budget and employment cuts. You know, it's not even whether that is true or not, it's that when you say it, you sound happy like you can't wait for this to happen. I know other posters have seen your comments too. Then, whenever we say that D.C. will be fine because there are other sectors not associated with the government that make up a large part of D.C.'s economy. You jump right in saying "NOPE" everyone will be effected because all these companies are only there because of the government and will be effected no matter what. Any notion leading to the fact the D.C. will be fine even if the government does cut back you happily interject like you want D.C. to fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well I guess tmac9wr can now figure out one of the culprits. I'm not one to call specific posters out, but since you put yourself out there, I can remember multiple times when you have wished ill on D.C. You said now that the republicans have taken control, D.C.'s booming will come to an end and will feel the effects by massive budget and employment cuts. You know, it's not even whether that is true or not, it's that when you say it, you sound happy like you can't wait for this to happen. I know other posters have seen your comments too. Then, whenever we say that D.C. will be fine because there are other sectors not associated with the government that make up a large part of D.C.'s economy. You jump right in saying "NOPE" everyone will be effected because all these companies are only there because of the government and will be effected no matter what. Any notion leading to the fact the D.C. will be fine even if the government does cut back you happily interject like you want D.C. to fall.
I'd actually like to point out that I am one of the people who have mentioned the possible affects that Republican majority may cause. I mentioned it because I'm pretty sure we've gone through one of the largest federal government expansions in history...Republicans supposedly favor small gov, so I figured that may want to make a change to this.

It certainly wasn't said in the hope of something like this happening. I was simply saying it because it shouldn't be ignored.

Can we just stop all the posts about DC though? This thread has been totally derailed, and I will fully admit I've played a significant role in that...that said, we should get back on track.

Let's talk GDP Baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City