U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,590,158 times

Advertisements

Something to discuss ...

First, the initial story - the main report/list will come out later: TripAdvisor's Top Dirtiest Hotels in America - ABC News

Use this as a discussion about any "dirty" experiences you've had in a hotel/motel (as in DIRT dirty, people). Keep the conversation civil, and keep in mind that there is a difference between explaining an experience you've had in a hotel, and "slandering" a hotel - and slander remarks will be removed. Keep it professionally done as if you were writing a review for a travel blog. Share pics if you took them (and only pics YOU have taken please).

While offering tips on places to possibly avoid, perhaps also give a pat on the back to any place you stayed at that was exceptionally GOOD as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:15 AM

5,187 posts, read 5,839,978 times
I thought this was City vs. City forum not hotel vs. hotel, maybe this topic should be under General U.S. forum,just a thought.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 AM

7,896 posts, read 6,473,588 times
I personally love residence inn. They are nice rooms and inexpensive. Most people like full service hotels because of room service... overrated.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 AM

711 posts, read 996,899 times
I can't really think of any hotels that were dirty.... most of them were the same and if not they were better than the others.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM

423 posts, read 511,362 times
The Hotel Carter in Times Square, worst place ever.
Rooms cost $100 a night there for a reason.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I thought this was City vs. City forum not hotel vs. hotel, maybe this topic should be under General U.S. forum,just a thought.
Perhaps you'd care to read the room sticky in this room first, to know what is and what is not allowed here? Please read the room sticky for general room posting guidelines, and please read the first post in this thread for specifics on posting about this topic. Thank you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,742,262 times
Dirtiest Hotel room I EVER saw was Caribou Inn And Convention Center in Caribou, ME. I've traveled all over and literally lived out of hotel and motels for work for close to 3 years. Only 1 time have I ever asked to change rooms because the first was too nasty to stay in, and it was at this place. The second room was no better, but after calling all over the place there wasn't another room at any other hotel or motel in the area, so I went to town and bought cleaning supplies so I could at least take a shower and use the bathroom. If it had been warmer (this was in February) I would have slept in my vehicle. Management was zero help.

Best place honors would be a tie between three Mom and Pop places. Each of them were older, but maintained beautifully and the service was beyond compare. In no particular order they were: the Belmont Motel in Skowhegan, Maine. The Maple Leaf Motel in Schroon Lake, NY. and the Sunrise Landing Motel and resort in Northport, Michigan

Last edited by Bydand; 01-26-2011 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added the good ones

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,727,817 times
The worst/dirtiest hotel room I've ever been to was in Danville, Virginia. I went up with a few friends from college because we had a club football game the following day. It was totally run-down and disgusting, much like the town itself.

It definitely didn't help when we talked to our opponents after the football game the following day and they said someone had been murdered in the hotel earlier in the week.

The lesson is: never go to Danville.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM

423 posts, read 511,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Perhaps you'd care to read the room sticky in this room first, to know what is and what is not allowed here? Please read the room sticky for general room posting guidelines, and please read the first post in this thread for specifics on posting about this topic. Thank you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Those posts you delete we're indeed relevant, because it described the horrible conditions of the Hotel Carter in New York City's Time Square which used to be a brothel and a homeless shelter. This information night be useful to people who visit NYC and hoping for a cheap room in Manhattan. Its a popular hotel and I'd hate for anyone else to make the same mistake I did.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Those posts you delete we're indeed relevant, because it described the horrible conditions of the Hotel Carter in New York City's Time Square which used to be a brothel and a homeless shelter. This information night be useful to people who visit NYC and hoping for a cheap room in Manhattan. Its a popular hotel and I'd hate for anyone else to make the same mistake I did.
Write a quick story "review style" about any bad (or good) experiences you have had, and leave it at that. Once people start chit-chatting back and forth with comments, it's chat-room banter and will be removed. If folks don't wish to abide by the terms of this thread/discussion that's fine as I'll simply shut it down. Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City