Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Atlanta become apart of the Birmingham CSA one day?
They will join as one 19 22.09%
They will remain seperate 67 77.91%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,797,304 times

Advertisements

LMAO the link works JUST FINE FOR ME .... BRUH! And yes ... ATLANTA has a higher median income than NYC! LMAO!

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not gonna post the link again for you ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 PM

818 posts, read 1,380,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LMAO the link works JUST FINE FOR ME .... BRUH! And yes ... ATLANTA has a higher median income than NYC! LMAO!

Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not gonna post the link again for you ...
O.M.G LMAO!!!

Your link is for 10 years ago, LOL. While we are at it cuz, how about I post NYC's median household income from 1811, you know only 200 years ago! Not that long ago

Gainers

1. Baltimore, MD (+9.7%)
2. Pittsburgh, PA (+8.2%)
3. Washington, DC (+5.0%)
4. Philadelphia, PA (+4.6%)
5. St. Louis, MO (+4.4%)
6. Milwaukee, WI (+4.2%)
7. Los Angeles, CA (+3.5%)
8. Houston, TX (+3.2%)
9. Cleveland, OH (+2.5%)
10. Chicago, IL (+2.3%)

Losers

1. San Jose, CA (-18.7%)
2. Atlanta, GA (-8.3%)
3. Detroit, MI (-7.1%)
4. Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (-5.0%)
5. San Francisco, CA (-3.5%)
6. Tampa/St.Petersburg, FL (-3.3%)
7. Portland, OR (-2.5%)
8. Riverside/San Bernardino, CA (-2.2%)
9. Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL (-1.4%)
10. Denver, CO (-0.5%)

New Geography

Enjoy bruh!

Last edited by Infamous Past; 01-26-2011 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,054,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
No one is jealous of Atlanta IMO... no one wants to go to Atlanta for scenery, no diversity, bad economy (10% unemployment), 3rd rate architecture (big and boxy buildings), 3rd rate food scene, low wages for McMansions, high crime rates, bad transit systems, no urban life centers, 3rd rate amenities, and 3rd rate sports teams. No beaches, no valleys, no canyons, bad weather, bad location, culture shock, IMO
And yet, somehow Atlanta has managed to keep from smelling like a defecation pot. A claim NYC can't make.

Big and boxy buildings? Have you gone outside lately? Something like 75% of all the buildings in your city are brick apartment buildings.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,698,486 times
holy cow... I mean I know there are a few people that get turned on at the slightest fact they can use to bad talk Atlanta in any way... but this is just crazy talk now and making me really want to .

I've only been away from these forums for a few days and wow...

Ok first off Newsboy is right...mostly

When I did spatial analysis in my research studies there are many ways of measuring income... and income distribution. There are alot of measurement problems in that you have to define the geographic region, choose mean vs. mode vs. per capita, choose family vs. household vs. personal income.

There are pros and cons how you choose to define a geographic area and there are pros and cons with the different ways of measuring income and it's distribution.

Median household income is used more often or not. If you use personal income you get into a lot of dicey measurement situations from teen workers, part time workers, college students, and etc... The amounts of those differ quick dramatically from place to place and affect personal income measurement. Household income is usually looked at more, since it reflects the the socioeconomic setting in which a person lives better. It takes away the worry over whether a family chooses to have a stay at home mom or not, a kid that works or not, choose to have roommates or not, live by themselves, or even 2 families in one household (typically this happens with extended families and/or grandchildren etc...).

Household income reflects the income level-setting people choose to live at regardless of how they got to that household income level.

It has it's pitfalls too, but it fixes a few of the quirks.

Median is usually used instead of per capita or mean as well. We live in a society where alot of wealth is concentrated in one direction Median is a better reflection how much wealth a typical person in the area has. Mean is affected too much by high concentrations of really poor or really high concentrations of or really rich.

The fact Birmingham has a slightly higher per capita income than Atlanta could easily be because an outside factor like Couples in Atlanta might be more likely to have more kids than couples in Birmingham. That is more of a lifestyle choice ... not as much a income level choice. (I don't really know that this is a case... but just using it as one common example of why an area might have a higher per capita income, but a lower household or family income... there is a ton of data that needs to be poured over to answer that)

Now with that said from the 5 -year ACS from the Census

Here is Birmingham, Atlanta, and NYC's MSA median household income. I don't really know why we are talking about NYC given the fact this is clearly about Atlanta and Birmingham, but since it was mentioned....

Atlanta: 58,390
Birmingham: 47,260
NYC: 63,553

(Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2009 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars))
(Birmingham-Hoover, AL Metro Area - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2009 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars))
(New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA Metro Area - Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2009 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars))

I would also point out the same trend going from smallest to biggest (Birmingham -> Atlanta -> NYC)

exists on every measure of household income: mean, median, all households, couple households, non-couple households.

(Note on newsboy's source... the wikipedia page labeled the chart MSA, but then used NYC's CMSA, which is why NYC was lowered below Atlanta. This can very telling in some ways. NYC's core has alot of wealth, but the whole outlying NYC region isn't as rich. The smaller MSAs in CT and NJ pulls them down below us. So I'll leave it up to others to argue if Atlanta's MSA is more directly comparable to NYC MSA or CMSA... It is tough to tell NYC is so much larger than most others. Either way there are complications in how you choose to draw geographic boundaries for comparing different areas.)

As for the other tasteless comments made... I'm not going to address them fully.. this thread is not Atlanta vs every city in the world... it was answering a growth question about Birmingham and Atlanta... but I will state just a few quick things...

There are a ton of things about Atlanta you don't appear to know about. There are many things a days drive from Atlanta. I found it funny you actually mentioned canyons, but we actually have them. I grew up going in hiking and camping trips in Canyons and I'm from Atlanta. We are also at the Foothills of the southern point of the Appalachians. We have alot of trees and rolling hills in and around our city. It is actually a really nice setting. Compared to most major cities we are a city built amongst trees, creeks, and rolling hills. If that isn't your thing that is fine, but I'm getting tired of these tasteless comments that are blatantly ignoring what Atlanta does have... and instead just looking for what it doesn't.
Alot of buildings aren't that boxy either. We actually have alot of tall buildings with spires, plenty of detail, or a modern look to them. We have a few boxy ones don't get me wrong, but what city doesn't? NYC certainly has their share of some plain looking buildings too. What you described about Atlanta sounds more like Phoenix's skyline. Atlanta is also one of the most diverse and integrated city's in the U.S., so again from your comments it seems like you haven't even been here. And yes... the world's busiest airport (as if that is not an accomplishment within itself) only places 6 in our countries' airports with international travelers. However, the other's are in NYC (2), Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles (SFO, IAH and DFW are not ahead of ATL in this, but SFO is extremely close). What differentiates Atlanta from these cities geographically... LA is right next to Mexico, Chicago and NYC are a stones throw to Canada, and Miami is the southern most point for people to access Latin American and the Carribean. Atlanta is closer to the center, so it is pretty impressive. Admittedly and even then, NYC as a whole is far ahead of the pack. In large part it is the largest financial center in the Western World.

Now for the Birmingham Folk's... I'll admit in the first few pages y'all took some hard punches from people... some fair... some not so fair. (and some rather funny)

Honestly.. I like Birmingham and we are apart of the same region and we should be more for helping each other out and growing together stronger than dogging against each other. I think people just found the title somewhat odd, because Atlanta is much bigger and economically powerful then Birmingham in the region and in the nation.

As for answering the question... Birmingham might be growing in the east a little bit, but Atlanta is growing much stronger towards the NE. Even outside the Atlanta area, the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Charlotte is booming big time compared the I-20 corridor between Birmingham Atlanta.

There is also this economic/social black hole known as Anniston that divides us. My sister went to Jacksonville State and then lived there for a few more years. There just isn't much growth there at all... much less than a growing interconnectiveness to Atlanta or Birmingham. The economy there is too dependent on the military and base closures haven't been nice to that town.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 AM

864 posts, read 1,118,568 times
Quote:
O.M.G LMAO!!!

Your link is for 10 years ago, LOL. While we are at it cuz, how about I post NYC's median household income from 1811, you know only 200 years ago! Not that long ago

Gainers

1. Baltimore, MD (+9.7%)
2. Pittsburgh, PA (+8.2%)
3. Washington, DC (+5.0%)
4. Philadelphia, PA (+4.6%)
5. St. Louis, MO (+4.4%)
6. Milwaukee, WI (+4.2%)
7. Los Angeles, CA (+3.5%)
8. Houston, TX (+3.2%)
9. Cleveland, OH (+2.5%)
10. Chicago, IL (+2.3%)

Losers

1. San Jose, CA (-18.7%)
2. Atlanta, GA (-8.3%)
3. Detroit, MI (-7.1%)
4. Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (-5.0%)
5. San Francisco, CA (-3.5%)
6. Tampa/St.Petersburg, FL (-3.3%)
7. Portland, OR (-2.5%)
8. Riverside/San Bernardino, CA (-2.2%)
9. Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL (-1.4%)
10. Denver, CO (-0.5%)

New Geography

Enjoy bruh!
That map shows the same thing he said. You just proved him right.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:58 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,690,002 times
Quote:
It may hurt their *pride* if Birmingham is richer than Atlanta or superior to Atlanta at even one thing... humph
I love Bham, in fact my Mother's side is from there up to Cullman. But their is nothing superior in Birmingham over Atlanta, it is what it is.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,652,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I love Bham, in fact my Mother's side is from there up to Cullman. But their is nothing superior in Birmingham over Atlanta, it is what it is.
Traffic and commute times.

Come on, pick on somebody your own size. The small guy will not always fall inferior to the big guy in every category. Look, Birmingham has less traffic, has less commuting times, has a lower unemployment rate, has a lower cost of living, wasn't hit too hard by the recession compared to Atlanta, has more friendly people, is more Southern, etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,913,273 times
Quote:
No one is jealous of Atlanta IMO... no one wants to go to Atlanta for scenery, no diversity, bad economy (10% unemployment), 3rd rate architecture (big and boxy buildings), 3rd rate food scene, low wages for McMansions, high crime rates, bad transit systems, no urban life centers, 3rd rate amenities, and 3rd rate sports teams. No beaches, no valleys, no canyons, bad weather, bad location, culture shock, IMO
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

P.S. No one cares what you think. Especially when it's not based in reality.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM

864 posts, read 1,118,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Traffic and commute times.

Come on, pick on somebody your own size. The small guy will not always fall inferior to the big guy in every category. Look, Birmingham has less traffic, has less commuting times, has a lower unemployment rate, has a lower cost of living, wasn't hit too hard by the recession compared to Atlanta, has more friendly people, is more Southern, etc.
1. Montgomery has lower traffic and commute times then both but that is because it's smaller so it should. Your argument is pointless.

2. The cost of living is very similar and I'm from Alabama. Alabama has a raping sales tax.

3. The unemployment is also lower in North Dakota but is that really a big enough plus? Besides that the unemployment in Bhan is not that much lower.

4.I'm from Alabama and the people are no more nice or nasty in Georgia. You are grasping straws.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM

36,924 posts, read 38,882,189 times
Hartford's going to absorb NYC. Believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City