U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit or Boston, in everything
Detroit 52 24.53%
Boston 160 75.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM

334 posts, read 1,239,206 times

Advertisements

I've been to Toledo many times and I disagree that it offers a lot. No pro sports teams, far less concerts, places to eat, etc. It's in a class with Erie, Fort wayne, Dayton. Also it's skyline is nothing special. I'm not saying Detroit is the best ever, I know it's not, but better than Toledo's by far. Detroit has 4,000 employees from quicken coming here, a new $150million apartment/entertainment complex, new lofts/condos, remodeled hotels, all coming to downtown just recently annonunced. I do want to go to Cleveland, never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent85 View Post
I've been to Toledo many times and I disagree that it offers a lot. No pro sports teams, far less concerts, places to eat, etc. It's in a class with Erie, Fort wayne, Dayton. Also it's skyline is nothing special. I'm not saying Detroit is the best ever, I know it's not, but better than Toledo's by far. Detroit has 4,000 employees from quicken coming here, a new $150million apartment/entertainment complex, new lofts/condos, remodeled hotels, all coming to downtown just recently annonunced. I do want to go to Cleveland, never been there.
I am really glad to see Detroit doing all those loft conversions. I really hope that new proposed highrise gets built there too. I saw the renderings, very modern, Detroit could use that. But you also have to remember Toledo is a much smaller city and metro area than Detroit. Its not going to have the sports teams, the bigger concerts that larger cities have. If Toledo was the size of Detroit, percentage wise, Toledo then would be putting in much more money into its downtown than Detroit, but that doesnt mean I dont want Detroit to do good.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,226,788 times
Boston hands down.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 12,765,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im just joking LOL.Detroit would definetly beat Indianapolis.

Are you sure????

Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,971,646 times
My guess is that Boston beats Detroit hands down for culture, history, and entertainment, and I'm saying this as a native Detroiter who was born within the city limits.

Is Boston or Detroit better? That depends on your economic situation and your interests. Since the Michigan economy is in the squitter, it seems like Boston wins on most fronts. However, if the Michigan economy were better, then I think Detroit would win out in a quality of life contest as a result of having more affordable housing and some very nice upper middle class suburbs and a "Lakes Country" where you could own a house on a lake if you had enough money.

For those of you who don't know, Oakland County, which is directly northwest of Detroit and Wayne County, is or at least used to be one of the nation's wealthiest counties and home to the area's upper middle class and the Lakes Country. So if you earn a decent income and if you enjoy suburban living, Detroit could beat out Boston. That's right--there's a nearby county with hundreds of little lakes surrounded by great big modern houses. (Do a Mapquest search for West Bloomfield and you'll see what I mean.) You could also live on or near Lake St. Clair if you were on the East Side in Macomb County. I wanted to say this because when people hear "Detroit" they think of the impoverished ghetto and fail to realize that the region also has some very nice upper middle class areas. Also, Detroit's traffic is actually very good compared to most big cities, its having an excellent network of freeways.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 03-05-2008 at 04:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 AM

3,116 posts, read 6,971,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhead View Post
I was thinking of a day and a half in Detroit exploring the city. Then camping for a two night in Michigan somewhere. Maybe crossing over into Canada.
The part of Canada that's near Detroit really isn't all that interesting. I suggest heading to the Western part of the state. The Traverse City area and Leelenau Penninsula is very nice.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,347 times
Weather is the same...People in Detroit are great, but a city needs to be livable, walkable and more diversity in their job market...Boston wins

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,758,980 times
detroit...

i'll take my chances over grad school usa?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,011,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
don't want to pi*s of any boston people, or I hate Yankee people. but Boston has horrible traffic problems, not much other than the history, and they have aa big gay population. I'll stay in Detroit, and enjoy all my sports, culture, resturant scene etc.

Good to know there are no gay people in Detroit....because if there was, the gays would fix up all your burned out and dilapidated crack filled houses and actually turn your neighborhoods around and make something of your P.O.S. city. . And we wouldn't want that would we Jake. Grow up and get a life.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,260,605 times
Why are these cities even being compared? I never been to Detroit. I want to check it out one day though. Boston is one of my top favorite American cities. It is up there with San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or