U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which metro is cheaper?
San Diego 4 5.71%
Los Angeles 1 1.43%
San Francisco Bay Area 1 1.43%
Portland 57 81.43%
Seattle 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:50 PM

870 posts, read 769,704 times

Advertisements

In terms of weather, scenery, and things to do, I prefer the West Coast. But comparing costs between the West Coast and the interior of the country is pretty shocking. So I want to know, which west coast metro area is cheapest to live in for a family. Please remember the higher wages in the comparison. I like all of them pretty much evenly, otherwise. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM

818 posts, read 478,321 times
Sacramento

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Sacramento, IMO
Probably true, but the ocean is one of the reasons I'd want to move out there.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Most people dont go to the beach or to the shores every day, Sacramento is close enough for an hours drive to the Bay and distant enough to be affordable, no other place offers similar options on west coast if your looking for affordable, IMO

A days trip or weekend getaway to the Pacific is worth saving your money on, IMO

Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Most people dont go to the beach or to the shores every day, Sacramento is close enough for an hours drive to the Bay and distant enough to be affordable, no other place offers similar options on west coast if your looking for affordable, IMO

A days trip or weekend getaway to the Pacific is worth saving your money on, IMO
I guess I'll add Sacramento to the list of cities to consider.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I guess I'll add Sacramento to the list of cities to consider.
Its your decision man, but look at this;

Sacramento --> Vallejo, CA [1 hour 4 mins]
Sacramento --> SF Bay Area [1 hour 11 mins]
Sacramento --> Oakland, CA [1 hour 28 mins]
http://www.mapquest.com/

IMO SF Bay and Sacramento should be one metro they are close enough to be one metro and no place in SF Bay is affordable, Sacramento for many SF Bay people has been a good hot spot and affordable one too. Sacramento has good weather, most big city amenities, good schools, diverse crowd, and good scenery and in the same area as SF Bay

Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM

639 posts, read 874,511 times
I agree, Sacramento is by far the cheapest metro on the West Coast. It may not be the trendiest or hippest place to live in, but it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have culture and amenities. Sac is a great geographical point to the Bay, mountains, ocean, snow, etc. The city itself is very diverse, quite liberal, and has a relaxing atmosphere. The weather is great year-around except for two months of the year when it gets really hot. Culturally, Sac has a plethora of activities to satisfy all - young and old. Art museums, symphonies, pro sports, good neighborhoods, particularly midtown, east sac, great restaurants and more. Overall I think its a great place to raise a family or for anyone who wants to live in California but can't afford the luxury of living in the other glamorous metropolises.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,205,837 times
I'm going to give a 3rd vote out for Sacramento too (Seeing how its not on the poll). As noted earlier much of Sacramento's population increases have come from former Bay Area residents, to a more affordable place that offers just as much as what they're used too.

Sacramento Metropolitan Area is a very unique place for multiple reasons, many of which have already been addressed:
- Moutains (snow, skiing, scenery)
- Close to the Bay Area, close enough to go any day of the week, to commute, or to even get away and enjoy when you need it and to access the Bay Area's amenities at any given point
- Professional level sports, you can attend a 49ers game, Raiders game, Kings game, Warriors game, Giants game, Athletics game
- Great schools, you have Stanford, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Francisco all in the same area pretty much. If your kids decide to go to school to any of those, they wont be far away.
- Great public school system.
- Diversity of job offerings and job markets in the Bay Area + Sacramento markets
- Diversity in cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds. Sacramento I believe is THE most racially diverse city in America along with Oakland.

Sacramento as others have said before is practically a Bay Area city, its just unofficial but it is a 4th and final piece to the Bay Area: San Francisco, Oakland, & San Jose.

And its relatively safe. I say go for it. Save thousands yearly, and save it, you get a city very close to all the action without the hassles of the prices for it. Your call but really, I cant see a better place to mention either besides Sacramento.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM

454 posts, read 781,249 times
40136 ANNAPOLIS Dr, Temecula, CA 92591 | MLS# T10113775

I would recommend also looking into the Temecula Valley. Safe, good schools (for CA), only 30 miles from the ocean as opposed to the 82 miles for Sacramento, closer to better beaches, affordable for CA, reasonable home prices, close to jobs in San Diego and Inland Empire.

The link above is a $254,000 single family home in Temecula with 4 bedrooms. This is the norm in this area of So Cal and the Cost of Living is lower mainly due to its locations being slightly inland (same reason Sacramento is cheap).

The median income in Temecula for a family is $80,836 and in Murrieta the median income for a family is $90,930 which is similar to the upscale suburbs of Sacramento like Roseville and Elk Grove.

http://www.lakeoakmeadows.com/images/mapsm.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by coo77; 01-27-2011 at 01:37 AM..

Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,748,414 times
Quote:
Well you won't get it from Portland. Its an inland river city, like Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City