Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Coast vs Northeast? Which one is more open for integration?
West Coast 15 57.69%
Northeast 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,887 times

Advertisements

I am not undermining the Northeast at all, and as far as I know they may be the most open of them all. But it is hard to beat the live and let live attitudes that are so prevalent on the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It depends on what part of the West Coast and the Northeast you are speaking of. I was born and bred in the Bay in San Francisco but I live in the DC Area. Interracial couples and mixed people are common in the Bay Area. I am mixed myself and a living example of the integration that exists in the SF Bay. The Bay Area is a very integrated place. Even many of the ghetto areas in the Bay are extremely diverse. Race means less on many levels in the Bay Area. Even inter-ethnic tension in the Bay Area between minorities isn't specifically racist.

L.A., on the other hand, is known for more interethnic tension and poor racial relations. Skinheads in Orange County, extreme segregation between Blacks and Latinos and other races, Mexican gangsters murdering innocent Black folks are all well-documented phenomena that occur in sunny Southern California which are rare if non-existent in the Bay.
That's a load of BS, the Bay Area has plenty of problems with racial tensions just like other places.

Black attacks on Asians: racism or opportunity?

Kind of reminds me how some people in the bay Area believe that no one here gets killed for wearing the wrong color like what has occurred in LA even though there have been news stories of that occurring. The Bay Area isn't some integrated racial utopia like some people would trick themselves into believing.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM

174 posts, read 239,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's a load of BS, the Bay Area has plenty of problems with racial tensions just like other places.

Black attacks on Asians: racism or opportunity?

Kind of reminds me how some people in the bay Area believe that no one here gets killed for wearing the wrong color like what has occurred in LA even though there have been news stories of that occurring. The Bay Area isn't some integrated racial utopia like some people would trick themselves into believing.
That is a very good point. A close friend of mine who is of Philippino decent, just got back from a family visit in the Bay area where he grew up. Our group of friends here (Phx) are; Mixed (different ethnic backgrounds), White, Black, Mexican, PR, NA, and multiple Asian back grounds. Since our current group is considered "diverse" I asked him if he associated with such a diverse group back in SF. He said "No" that his close friends in California were mostly Asian and he thought actual inter-cultural relations here were much better than what he was exposed to in California.

This is just one instance. I guess if you people watch out at the bars and restaraunts you can probably get a better idea if different ethnic groups actually mix; proof in the pudding!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
The south is generally more integrated than the north these days.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I want you. Now. I want you to scream "ayy papi chulo" when I'm with you, ok?

I met this really hot Colombian chick last night at the bar. Wow! I think I'm in love! If you're her, let's meet up again this Friday when I'm less drunk and don't have work the next day
I have this friend who is Colombian. She's attractive, and also married, to a white guy. I was out with them one night about 2 weeks ago, and a Vietnamese guy hit on her - brought her some flowers he'd gotten somewhere. She looked at him, held up her ring finger, and said "You see that I'm married, right?" (Her husband was in the bathroom at the time.) The Vietnamese guy responded "That's cool...so am I." She was revolted. Her husband, on the other hand, actually found a great deal of comedy in this bizarre spectacle.

The flowers ended up in a dumpster, about 10 minutes later.

Lesson - don't come to North Carolina. It's more integrated than it's ever given credit for being. But all of the good ones are taken, and you'll be competing with a small army of smarmy old guys, smarmy young guys, smarmy bespectacled hipsters, and smarmy yahoos. Plus, some of the sexy-n-spicy South of the Border (or that lotus blossom from the east b.s.) one might actually encounter might also end up being more than one bargained for anyway - as Mr. Lock-Up-Yer-Daughter from Hanoi proved: in places that are ever more integrated, exotic swiftly becomes meaningless. I'm black, a native of the South to boot. However, I'm also not a moron, and am comfortable in my own skin in pretty much any surroundings. I've dated white, black, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, which roughly approximates the diversity level in my immediate circle of friends. Ethnicity, nationality or race is not why I dated them. I dated them because we hit it off, and they were cool, awesome, great to get to know. People are people, and they are who and what they are, as opposed to who or what you want them to be, which is a tad disrespectful, at best. Sounds like a cliche, but really, it is actually also a fact.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:07 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
I'll ignore the ethnic stuff and I'll also qualify this by saying all cities within a region are different, but I think it's much easier to make friends in SoCal vs the northeast. Now, I have a house here, so that's probably a difference maker.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:12 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times
West Coast for sure.

Boston, New York City, NJ, Philadelphia and DC are far too segregated.

But more so than these two, the Southeast was the most integrated place I have lived. Yes, really.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Since this thread is from 2011 I wonder what the OP ended up doing? Since then much of our west coast city (Sammamish WA) has become far more integrated, with the Asian population reaching 33%, most from India, with people working at Amazon and Microsoft.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:43 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
West Coast for sure.

Boston, New York City, NJ, Philadelphia and DC are far too segregated.

But more so than these two, the Southeast was the most integrated place I have lived. Yes, really.
Concur with across the board. This is someone as a native New Jerseyan born and raised. My school was snow white, and the parents of those kids would have a big problem with anyone who didn't look like them. My friends parents were asking of this all the times to the kids. I had one non-white student in 13 years I attended elemntary school, middle school, and finally high school. I was 9 miles away from another school district where the demographics would have been flipped on its head.

As a rule of thumb, northeasterners will say they are for equality, and speak one way, but act another way. There's a reason why there's 566 municipalities in just over 7300 square miles in New Jersey. Essex County and Bergen County in particular were carved up a certain way that almost looks like pseudo gerrymandering. Doing basic math, you are looking at just under 13 square miles per muncipality. The town I reside in now is 6 times larger. Most other places and regions are laid out in this more conventional way. This leads to more integration, and in my view, more harmony amongst the general popluation.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:45 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
West Coast by far and away.And by such a wide margin that its hard to describe to someone who hasnt been to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City