Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM

487 posts, read 990,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
None of them. They are all owned by either Clear Channel, Radio One, Citadel, or some other conglomerate radio corp and are programmed the exact same way with the same 20 artist.
Great majority of stations, even from these companies, are locally programmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM

487 posts, read 990,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Look people, traditional radio is dead. Listeners are WAY down from what they used to be
Not true. Listnership as at all time high. Where do you get your info from?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:08 PM

3,397 posts, read 3,336,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
People went from coming home and sitting on the couch and listening to the radios in the 1920's to shoving it into their cars now. LOL people still listen to radios! Talk about old school.
You are darn right about that. Actually, a neighbor in my apartment building(still lives in it to this day) many years ago showed me his old radio that he either purchased or was passed on to him from one of his parents, and it made me realize that the habit of listening to radio was once more of a home/residence activity, and not one that you mainly listen to in cars. As it is, radio has gotten boring enough over the last 10-15 years(with all the mega-corporate radio mergers), that I can't think of how many times I ever listen to radio anymore outside of when I drive, other than for occasionally listening to NPR or ESPN radio in my house.

One of the bigger corporate companies purchased the well-known independent FM station(in Chicago) WXRT out(can't remember if it was Clear Channel, or another company that bought them out), and dunno why, but I find it slightly less interesting of a station than it used to be. It's still better than most stations, but I never listen to it to the rate I once did. Not to mention, The Mix(101.9 FM) has really, really gone to hell in recent years, and I've gotten extremely bored with The Loop(97.9 FM). Sadly, (almost) the only thing interesting on it anymore is Dr. Demento, if it even still airs.....

BTW, when did Energy 92(92.7) stop broadcasting? I vaguely remember that station, though I do like listening to Dance Factory on what later became Nine FM(and later Air America, though I thought Air America recently was discontinued) late at night....

EDIT: I did a search, and now see it was discontinued in 2003. Hard to believe it was that 8 years ago already:
http://www.energychicago.com/welcome.htm

Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,505,135 times
I'd say Chicago and SF have the best. Followed by LA.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 PM

19 posts, read 13,579 times
NYC's radio stations stink. The only good one is cbs-fm, which has withstood a very long time of being NY's oldies station.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM

996 posts, read 1,892,417 times
NYC, and Charlotte.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,325,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
None of them. They are all owned by either Clear Channel, Radio One, Citadel, or some other conglomerate radio corp and are programmed the exact same way with the same 20 artist.
This is the correct answer.

The all play the exact same songs now. They even have the same radio station names and their DJs have the same names too. Its all a bit erie.

Plus with the rise of the internet, every station can access the same songs immediately.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,218,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
NYC, and Charlotte.
In my opinion Charlotte's station lineup is kind of strange for a city this size. There is a noticeable glut of adult contemporary stations and Spanish language stations, while other popular formats are missing from the market.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,218,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Ah I remember Power 92. Loved that station. Also liked 97.9 The Beat in Dallas and Hot 107.1 in Memphis.

KKWD Wild 97.9 in Oklahoma City was also one of my favorites growing up. Unfortunately could not find a soundbite.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,636,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Great majority of stations, even from these companies, are locally programmed.
Not true. There is still someone from corporate calling the shots. As a few other people have mentioned, the playlists are remarkably similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City