U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The global city index made a change for the...
better 5 25.00%
worse 2 10.00%
i don't know 3 15.00%
no opinion 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM

83 posts, read 100,171 times

Advertisements

City vs City what are your opinions on the new global city index 2010?

san francisco moves to 12 place, in front of all other usa cities besides NY which came in first.
paris falling to forth behind tokyo?
what are your opinions?
why do you think the cities are in the places they are?

The Global Cities Index 2010 - An FP Special Report | Foreign Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,766,456 times
Haha, my opinions have been signified in this thread a few months ago: Global Cities 2010: The Ranking by Foreign Policy Magazine

I like the listing, but I cant ever help but wonder how Miami stays so strong in these lists. I love Miami and all but would definitely put Philadelphia & Dallas-Fort Worth on the list more so than Miami. And for the record yes, I am well aware that its the largest concentration of foreign Latin American Banking in the United States & one of the largest immigration points in the United States.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM

423 posts, read 493,977 times
Well I'm happy Washington, D.C. is #13 and will only rise.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

759 posts, read 1,668,197 times
The Chicago Council on Foreign Affairs (whatever the hell that is) makes these rankings, so you can basically discard Chicago's ranking as garbage.

Better yet, you can discard the entire list, since it isn't made by an unbiased source.

The list kinda reminds me of that GAWC list, which is just some random ranking created by a third-tier British university.

IMO, these lists are created for publicity on behalf of their host organizations, rather than to create a serious attempt at rankings.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM

83 posts, read 100,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Well I'm happy Washington, D.C. is #13 and will only rise.
i think it fell this year though?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM

423 posts, read 493,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuislavie View Post
i think it fell this year though?
I think it was lower last year........

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
IMO, these lists are created for publicity on behalf of their host organizations, rather than to create a serious attempt at rankings.
I do agree with this part, I essentially think all rankings whether if its "Rand McNally" or "Foreign Policy" or "Global World Cities (GaWC)" or "Taylor" or "Brookings Institution" or even "Mastercard Power index" are all retarded.

Personally the people who go around posting them (which I admit I used to before realizing major flaws in methodology) are just there for people to sit there and talk about how "City X" beat "City Y".

More collective method for rounding about importance is taking every credential aspect of a city from pricing, gross domestic product, every sector of their economy, every tourist detail, poverty rates, and other stuff, and put it into a combined perspective to prove the case.

In short: These lists and the cronies that believe these "rankings" really are either lazy to look up valid information or are just one of those uneducated "I take everything from a poll & survey and post about it" type of idiots that really deserve no respect. Harsh, but true haha.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,816,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Haha, my opinions have been signified in this thread a few months ago: Global Cities 2010: The Ranking by Foreign Policy Magazine

I like the listing, but I cant ever help but wonder how Miami stays so strong in these lists. I love Miami and all but would definitely put Philadelphia & Dallas-Fort Worth on the list more so than Miami. And for the record yes, I am well aware that its the largest concentration of foreign Latin American Banking in the United States & one of the largest immigration points in the United States.
Danny I think you answered your own Question! Miami is a safe harbor for many wealthy central & South Americans. It's a bilingual city which believe it or not makes people comfortable to hear and deal with people in your own language.
I do consider Miami to be a global city.
Dallas? Philly? are quite "American" cities now whereas I would say Houston is global like Miami is.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM

759 posts, read 1,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I do agree with this part, I essentially think all rankings whether if its "Rand McNally" or "Foreign Policy" or "Global World Cities (GaWC)" or "Taylor" or "Brookings Institution" or even "Mastercard Power index" are all retarded.
I agree, and find the lists interesting and worthy of discussion, but, yeah, basically retarded.

The problems are primarily issues of bias (cultural bias and homerism) and comparisons across national boundaries, IMO.

This list, on the whole, isn't too ridiculous, though there are some cities I would rank higher and others a bit lower.

I usually think that smaller European cities, like Frankfurt, are ranked a bit too high on these lists, and huge cities in the developing world (Mexico City, Sao Paulo, etc.) are usually given too little credit. There's a hell of a lot more wealth and power in Mexico City or Sao Paulo than in Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Danny I think you answered your own Question! Miami is a safe harbor for many wealthy central & South Americans. It's a bilingual city which believe it or not makes people comfortable to hear and deal with people in your own language.
I do consider Miami to be a global city.
I do too. I consider Miami to be both a global city and a international gateway in many respects. But economically I think its a bit of a laggard, but from what I do know, this is all going to change this decade with the renewal of its economy and more of a trade and off shore shipping based economy.

One thing Miami needs to capitalize on more is its foreign investments, its become an attractive place to "invest" in property but it needs to watch itself on its housing situation even more so and only build off demand rather than speculation off "prospective demand". If Miami can corner in on "perfect timing" then it can achieve a lot more greatness in and around itself. I think Miami can do it in the long run.

I hope for the best for Miami, one of the greatest cities this country has to offer. (easily)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or