U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM

6,836 posts, read 13,503,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The dc/nyc beef goes back to the early 80's. NY dudes came to DC to hustle because everybody was getting money in DC. A 20 in NY would go for 50 in dc. NY dudes also had connects. Alpo (famous NYC drug dealer) was in DC in the late 80's. DC dudes shot him and tried to kidnap him but he survived. He was so afraid for his life he sought protection from Wayne Perry, one of the most feared men on the east coast. In the early 90's, DC dudes started to kill NY dudes over a series of beefs. Jay-Z mentions it in a song where he says they (dc) were shooting at anything with NY plates. A dc dude killed Harlem drug dealer Rich Porter. Read Alpos interview in Don Diva magazine and google his documentary on You Tube. They discuss the DC/NYC beef. NY dudes in the documentary talk about how Alpo had to become a monster when he moved to DC because DC cats were straight killers.
DC/NYC beefs play out at east cost hbcu's all the time. Norfolk State was off the hook in the 80's and 90's.

yea alpo killed a lot of dc folks in dc but ruined his reputation by snitching on them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I got love for queens and BK. I'm from the south an never even been there, but they really seem to show love and respect when there out of town. I could do without most of the BX and Harlem transplants due to the superiority complex and arrogance many of them seem to bring with them.
lucky for you brooklyn tends to have issues with harlem/bronx. lol.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 15,896 times
Denver vs Salt lake city
Reno vs Atlantic City

Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Hands down Detroit vs. Chicago

Our cities beef over everything: Which is better techno or house? Juke or Hip Rolling? Motown or Chess? Hood vs Hood? Detroit disrespecting Young Berg (I know lol) Footwork or Jittin? Detroit ballroom vs Chi steppin?.....it never ends.....
I cannot think of one area where Chicago thinks Detroit is a rival. Sports maybe and even then, not much.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I cannot think of one area where Chicago thinks Detroit is a rival. Sports maybe and even then, not much.
yea a lot of these so called city beefs are fabricated.

the only real ones i can really think of of are nyc vs dc, Baltimore vs dc, and Houston vs Dallas.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 8,926,697 times
Jordan,

You are right. I left out the fact that NY dudes were also killing a lot of DC cats too. It was back and forth. I know a few DC dudes that were murdered in Fort Greene, BK. Like you said, this was probably the only real city beef. One thing that I noticed is that NYC and DC dudes have mutual respect for each other regardless of their differences. I went to an HBCU with a lot of NYC cats. Once you get pass their bravado and arrogance, most of them are cool.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Jordan,

You are right. I left out the fact that NY dudes were also killing a lot of DC cats too. It was back and forth. I know a few DC dudes that were murdered in Fort Greene, BK. Like you said, this was probably the only real city beef. One thing that I noticed is that NYC and DC dudes have mutual respect for each other regardless of their differences. I went to an HBCU with a lot of NYC cats. Once you get pass their bravado and arrogance, most of them are cool.
word how did the forte green story play out?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM

18,509 posts, read 29,398,946 times
The Houston- Dallas Rivalry- TIME Magazine 30 years ago:

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Quote:
Dallas (pop. 905,000) and Houston (pop. 1,594,000), Texas' largest cities, are separated by 240 miles of small towns and open spaces. They are also separated by one of the most enduring municipal rivalries since Athens slandered Sparta. "Houston," says Dallas Mayor Jack Evans of the grittier rival city, "doesn't wear well." Besides, add Dallas chauvinists, Houstonians are the ugly Americans of Texas. Dallasites, responds Houston Post Columnist Lynn Ashby, "are the Swiss of Texas." What is more, says Houston Businessman Lan Bentsen, Dallas residents "have no sense of humor."

Read more: The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Houston- Dallas Rivalry by the NYtimes 22 years ago:

Houston vs. Dallas - A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - NYTimes.com

Quote:
HOUSTON, July 29 — At the height of Texas's late great boom, all roads led here to the overheated oil town that defined the state in the 1970's.

As the oil boom petered out, the action shifted to Dallas, Houston's more sedate rival 250 miles north, which served as the glittering backdrop to the Republican National Convention four years ago, about the time Houston was sinking into a severe recession.

Now a new turnaround seems under way in a particularly intense intrastate rivalry that pits the nation's fourth largest city, Houston, against the eighth largest, Dallas.
Texas as a whole is climbing out of its recession and Houston is leading the way both in economics and civic self-confidence. Meanwhile, Dallas finds itself in the midst of an escalating identity crisis as it tries to overcome economic and governmental problems. Which Will Be No. 1? This shift is the latest in a long tug-of-war that is partly about style and braggadocio and partly about the very real question of which city will become the dominant one in the Southwest.

Houston and Dallas, roughly similar in geographic size, have otherwise always been very different places. With roots in oil, shipping and international trade, Houston has long had a wide-open feel about it, while Dallas has always been a more insular, white-collar town, with a base in banking, real estate, insurance and other services.

''The best description I ever heard was that Dallas is piccolos and souffles and Houston is a steak-and-trombone town,'' said Joe Frantz, a Texas historian at Corpus Christi State University. ''They don't really get in each other's way very much. It's more a matter of ego. Each one wants to be No. 1.''

Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM

29 posts, read 37,684 times
houston and new orleans

Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFThomas301 View Post
houston and new orleans
i heard that was a fabricated beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or